The end of an era.

Vernon Barnes

This post will be the last thing I do on my ex-DAW a 2007 vintage Windows Vista 64 machine. It was relegated to internet / email / downloads etc when I got my current DAW in 2013, and tomorrow a new DAW will arrive, and the current one will become the general purpose computer and continue use for photograph editing etc. Its disk space will be useful for archiving too.

Its probably only in the last 6 months that Vista has become untenable, the computer has served me well and I feel sad to see the end of it.

On the other hand I am looking forward to having much more powerful i9 powered DAW with NVME drives.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, Vernon Barnes said:

tomorrow a new DAW will arrive

Hope it goes smoother than Ed's bass delivery.

I get attached to PCs too. I still have my old 286 with DOS 6.22 and loads of DOS games. Haven't touched it in over a decade but I can't bring myself to get rid of it. 

Kept my old DAW and plan on making an NAS server out of it if I can find the time.

15 hours ago, Vernon Barnes said:

This post will be the last thing I do on my ex-DAW a 2007 vintage Windows Vista 64 machine. It was relegated to internet / email / downloads etc when I got my current DAW in 2013, and tomorrow a new DAW will arrive, and the current one will become the general purpose computer and continue use for photograph editing etc. Its disk space will be useful for archiving too.

Its probably only in the last 6 months that Vista has become untenable, the computer has served me well and I feel sad to see the end of it.

On the other hand I am looking forward to having much more powerful i9 powered DAW with NVME drives.

I got an i9 recently - has made a difference, but I think the biggest difference was I went for 64gb ram - i use M2 system drive and performance has been great. But i definitely think the extra ram has made the most difference

Hope you get yours all OK  and its great!!!

Nigel

I did a side-job consulting to Intel and still remember being taken back to their "secret" area where they were testing things only to be greeted by a stream of obscenities coming from one area.  The manager laughed and said "I have to apologize for that; they're testing Vista!"  My co-worker and I both replied "No apology needed!" 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I used XP until Windows 7 came out. I skipped all of the funky dunk in between. A friend of mine used Vista and said he liked it. The only complaint he had was the constant updates but he said he really didn't have any trouble with it. And yes, I recognize that that goes against everything I've ever read about Vista.

It's been a while since I did installs on office copier/scan/printer systems but I seem to recall Vista causing extreme install problems causing some people to have to get rid of 5-6 thousand dollar and higher MFP's. Something about the drivers. Something about it forcing you to use 64bit drivers and the hardware manufacturers flipped them the bird iirc.

Vista was a nightmare in a lot of ways.

2 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

Vista was a nightmare in a lot of ways.

I can't say I ever had issues in the 14 years I was using the VISTA machine until very recently. In fact for me it seemed more stable than the machines at work that used XP and needed periodic re-imaging to fix issues. 

Of course it depends on what software one was using and what was connected. I believe there were compatibility issues with hardware and software in the early days.

Edited by Vernon Barnes

My MS history:

1. DOS (I hated it, I have typos built into my fingers - standard equipment)
  2. Win 3.1
  3. Win 95
  4. Win 98SE
  5. XP
  6. Win 8 (upgraded to Win 10)
  7. Win 10

I did buy a Win7 machine for use on stage when I dropped a 7 year old XP machine and broke the hinge. The hinge part was no longer being made on the old machine. I don't have a lot of experience with 7 so I didn't count it in my list. It's just a fancy mp3 player on stage for me, so I haven't explored much of anything on it. It seems OK though.

BTW, the other 2002 XP ThinkPad (the one I didn't drop) is still cranking like it was new.

Insights and incites by Notes

9 hours ago, Vernon Barnes said:

it seemed more stable than the machines at work that used XP and needed periodic re-imaging to fix issues. 

I loved XP. Yes you are right about the re-imaging. It was a pain. I made what they call a slipstream disc. It was an XP install disc with all the latest/final updates plus other utilities. It worked great because you didn't need to spend 3 days downloading and installing updates in the correct order. You could even embed your install key and didn't have to deal with that either. It was all legit. I think you can even do that with the current versions of Windows even from a thumb drive now.

XP was very customizable and DOS application friendly. That died once they shelved XP. I really miss it. I hate Win 10 and the whole forced app thing and talk about constant updates. Uhg.

I think I have almost everything set up and installed now. Just three issues,

I can't find the authorisation info for True Pianos I am not too concerned as I seldom use it these days.

Some Sonic Reality BFD libraries not showing up in BFD they are in the scan path and authorised.

I need to look into authorising the old BFD2 libraries that are not in the new InMusic account.

The prize goes to Waves for the most hassel free instalation of multiple plugins ( surprisingly).