Jump to content

Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@Steevthere are no changes in the 06 release related to prochannel modules.

Now that you know how to rollback can you ins

 

Thanks MUCH Noel for you excellent support and informing me of what changes to CbB were made that don't or shouldn't effect the DAW. That alone is a great help for what I feel is getting caught in the middle of a "Perfect Storm" of new updates and changes from not only in the Cakewalk DAW, but Bandlab.com, and near constant bug fixes released Microsoft all at once.

It gets overwhelming, like trying to hit  moving targets ganging up that are so much faster them me, I can't even tell which direction the next one is coming from, and keep up with commitments.

So THANK YOU for even getting back with support, I don't even know how to use Bandlab's new v10.com GUI never mind how get in touch with Bandlab support, LoL, and falsely assumed that you guys were one in the same.

 

And yes I was aware of the rollback installer, but I'm typically gun shy around rolling back from past experiences that at times did NOTHING, and or made the problems worse and just cluttered Windows Reg with more dead end junk.

However I did take your advice and installed the latest early release as a last ditch effort before going thru the process of uninstalling CbB, cleaning up all traces the Win Registry & reinstalling manually, and it WORKED!👍

 And I'm HAPPY to report I did roughly an hour test run of CbB with out one single issue.

YOU GUYS ROCK!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Noel Borthwick

Please, can we have the option to change the default behaviour of waverform and background colouring?

I'd love to have black waveforms on coloured backgrounds, instead of the default coloured waveforms on dark backgrounds.

It's a pain in the ***** to change it manually on every track.

Thank you.

 

ckw0233.jpg

  • Great Idea 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Alright here's the deal with this plugin cutout that's driving me nuts. It happens when I move the plugin on the chain (FX bin) while it's open. I've manage to pinpoint that out - however as soon as I stop playback and and start play again - it works again. Also, If I close the plugin it cuts back in.

So please I'm asking the staff to look into this to see if they can reproduce this. It doesn't happen every time and I'm lost for words. I literally spend the entire day installing everything again. I thought it was a windows update issue of some kind and did my studio system over - just to run into this right now again!

Finally prove!

 

Edited by Will_Kaydo
video
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/24/2021 at 10:29 AM, Will_Kaydo said:

I think we can completely remove Split instrument track. It's even more broken now. 😅

Yesterday I started sketching some ideas for a new tune.  As I have done before, one-by-one I inserted a new software synth and immediately split the track so I could input some midi data (via a usb keyboard).  I didn't notice any new issues, but am willing to give it a try if I have some steps that don't work the way they used to.

On 7/24/2021 at 11:02 AM, msmcleod said:

Using split instrument tracks is more of an advanced way of using soft synths in any case (as opposed to simple or per output instrument tracks), so its likely you'll need to adjust things manually anyway.  Of course you can always choose "All" then delete the tracks you don't want.

Having started out with Cakewalk for MS-DOS and having used MIDI tracks routed to hardware synth modules, I find that having separate midi tracks and routing them to soft synths is about as basic as you can get.  However, I can understand with all the changes over the years it can be a proverbial thorn in side to keep the original functionality and at the same time integrate new complexities.

If you want to get rid of split tracks, can you please do it in such a way that preserves the ability to create MIDI tracks (just as we have always been able to do), the ability to route them to (a) hardware, (b) software, and (c) both hardware and software, the ability to have MIDI data play and record software and hardware synths that generate audio, the ability to control audio FX and MIDI FX, etc.

Thanks.

 

Edited by User 905133

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

CW just messed up all the track-synth associations, in the middle of a project.

Anybody know how to unmess them?

Edited by Olaf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Olaf said:

CW just messed up all the track-synth associations, in the middle of a project.

Anybody know how to unmess them?

Nevermind, I've solved it. Lost an hour of my life. Maybe the problem would get solved in the near future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Olaf said:

Nevermind, I've solved it. Lost an hour of my life. Maybe the problem would get solved in the near future.

If you use Spectrasonics soft synths, there was a recent update on their part that messed up the audio inputs of the synth audio tracks inside Cakewalk.

Check this thread:

But, fortunately, It was solved recently by the Cakewalk team, in the latest update: 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Andres Medina said:

If you use Spectrasonics soft synths, there was a recent update on their part that messed up the audio inputs of the synth audio tracks inside Cakewalk.

Check this thread:

But, fortunately, It was solved recently by the Cakewalk team, in the latest update:

Thanks, Andres, no, it was a bunch of stuff - basically everything got switched with everything  - Addictive Keys with SSD, two instances of AAS Player and one T-FM, all randomly switched places after a cascade undo involving the deleting of a synth track and creating a different one. Might have to do with the multiple output assignments, which it can't manage right. Maybe it got fixed in the 06 #2.

I split all tracks, reassigned I/Os, and regrouped them as instruments, and that solved it, cause you can't easily track assign synths from the rack, which would have made more sense.

I don't get Instrument Tracks - they seem to be neither here nor there. There should be output/mix tracks - those in the console, and source tracks - those in the sequencer, which would be of two kinds - MIDI and audio. The FX box of the output track assigned to the source track would be available in the source track pane in the Track View, just like now, for quick edits. And you would freely associate synths with source/MIDI tracks, as well as output tracks, from menus in the rack. Maybe a button to lock associations, if you're afraid you might screw up something. And that's it.

Edited by Olaf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry! what a mess - 

I avoided inserting  Soft Synths as Simple Instruments tracks for that reason. I like to have access for midi and audio inputs+outputs as independent tracks, so there's room for reassigning  / rerouting as needed.

Have you tried to inserting your VST's that way? each midi and audio tracks are independent, and easily configurable, and accesible via the console view as well.

My troubles with Omnisphere assignments were solved by re-assigning  the inputs of the audio tracks directly on each audio track. Midi tracks were not affected, nor audio outs. Lost half an hour but it was done!

Check  images attached.

Imagen1.png

Imagen2.png

Imagen3.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

So the dynamic waveform visual is not working either? 

No it works. Forgot it doesn't work with plugins or the volume. Blond moment

Edited by Will_Kaydo
Correcting a mistake in thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Andres Medina said:

I avoided inserting  Soft Synths as Simple Instruments tracks for that reason.

I also always avoid Simple Instruments and only use split tracks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Olaf said:

CW just messed up all the track-synth associations, in the middle of a project.

Anybody know how to unmess them?

Can you reproduce the issue?  If so, can you send a copy of your project before the issue arises to @Jonathan Sasor along with instructions to reproduce?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2021 at 1:23 AM, Andres Medina said:

Sorry! what a mess - 

I avoided inserting  Soft Synths as Simple Instruments tracks for that reason. I like to have access for midi and audio inputs+outputs as independent tracks, so there's room for reassigning  / rerouting as needed.

Have you tried to inserting your VST's that way? each midi and audio tracks are independent, and easily configurable, and accesible via the console view as well.

My troubles with Omnisphere assignments were solved by re-assigning  the inputs of the audio tracks directly on each audio track. Midi tracks were not affected, nor audio outs. Lost half an hour but it was done!

Check  images attached.

I agree with you, it's easier in terms of assignments and I/Os, switches, sound auditions, inserting and changing synths, and so on. The problem is you also get a lot of tracks for every instrument, and it gets messy to navigate and instantly tell which is which, and tiresome to follow. Intuitive is being able to do without thinking, on reflex or common sense assessments - for instance, if you were new to it, etc. That's why I suggested the idea above, which gets the best of both aspects, and is more logical, in principle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Can you reproduce the issue?  If so, can you send a copy of your project before the issue arises to @Jonathan Sasor along with instructions to reproduce?

I've attached the link here.

https://we.tl/t-O3sckikbzg

You will need Addictive Keys (Electric Grand) on Piano, T-FM on Orga, AAS Player on Synth and Orgi Biserică (Church organs), SSD 5 Free for the furthermost left drums, and Tony Coleman Drums 16 Out, to insert yourself - all as instrument tracks, except for SSD, which has individually routed outs.

To reproduce:

Delete all TCD tracks, including the group Aux, as those were added subsequently. In the resulting layout, delete the Piano track, then insert TCD 16 Out from the right click Insert Instrument menu command. Choose route to master. Then bulk undo both of them from undo history.

Last night I made several moves after that, which got bulk undone in the process - some observations there, as well - but they were not related to synth inserts, so they shouldn't matter in this individual matter.

Another thing I have mentioned previously, and was never addressed, was the synth names are displayed wrong, in all projects, on hovering the mouse pointer over them, in the rack - IF the rack window is smaller than the area of the racked synths AND you scroll down. I don't know if the track switch, in this case, was made in accordance with possible wrong names displayed that way, but it would, no doubt, be interesting to check.

Hopefully you can reproduce it.

If we're on the topic, the order of the Rack, Browser and Help windows, in the right side dock, never gets saved with the project.

Neither does the Show/Hide Arranger Track state in the Track View. And neither do the Meter Options, in the Track View. Also, NastyDLA doesn't save its Wet Only state, which I thought was because of the plugin, only I've noticed it doesn't happen in Harrison Mixbus.

The order of some One Knobs - or the on/off state, I don't remember - doesn't get saved in the PC strip.

So that's five more things that could get fixed for the next update.

And on the meter options topic - the intricate menu, with a million individual options, to click on separately, is criminal. How about one single menu option - "Meter Options" - which open a dialog window with bullet checks for all the options, so you could set them all at once, in a single place, instead of clicking about 20 times, with three level menu branching for each, to set them all, like now? That would be a significant simplification requiring no user sacrifice/adaptation.

Edited by Olaf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Olaf,

Unfortunately we don't have ready access to many of the plugins in your project currently, so we're unable to get a repro as described currently, but we're still investigating. 

16 hours ago, Olaf said:

If we're on the topic, the order of the Rack, Browser and Help windows, in the right side dock, never gets saved with the project.

This issue is already logged on our end.

16 hours ago, Olaf said:

Neither does the Show/Hide Arranger Track state in the Track View. And neither do the Meter Options, in the Track View.

Are you using a Workspace? I'm unable to reproduce this normally, but your description sounds like it may be reapplying a workspace on project load which would change those types of things in the UI.

16 hours ago, Olaf said:

Also, NastyDLA doesn't save its Wet Only state, which I thought was because of the plugin, only I've noticed it doesn't happen in Harrison Mixbus.

Is there a version of this plugin that's still available to test? It appears to be removed from their website. Also just because a plugin behaves one way in a particular DAW does not mean that the bug is not in the plugin. The things that @Noel Borthwick has seen... 

16 hours ago, Olaf said:

The order of some One Knobs - or the on/off state, I don't remember - doesn't get saved in the PC strip.

If you can provide details on this we'll investigate. I haven't heard of other reports of this.

16 hours ago, Olaf said:

And on the meter options topic - the intricate menu, with a million individual options, to click on separately, is criminal. How about one single menu option - "Meter Options" - which open a dialog window with bullet checks for all the options, so you could set them all at once, in a single place, instead of clicking about 20 times, with three level menu branching for each, to set them all, like now? That would be a significant simplification requiring no user sacrifice/adaptation.

Are you changing the metering options that frequently? It might be easier to save a template with these configured as desired so you don't need to access the menu options as often. The issue with doing a redesign to implement a separate options page for this is it diverts resources from other features/fixes.  We'll take it under consideration. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

This issue is already logged on our end.

Great to hear. It's been buggingsome (new word, probably).

21 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

Are you using a Workspace? I'm unable to reproduce this normally, but your description sounds like it may be reapplying a workspace on project load which would change those types of things in the UI.

I am using a workspace, yes. From what I gather workspaces don't store those settings, anyway - it'd be nice if they did, as they are part of the overall layout - so it shouldn't matter, should it? But the workspace was created with those meter settings already applied, just to be safe, so even if they did, they should be there.

21 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

Is there a version of this plugin that's still available to test? It appears to be removed from their website. Also just because a plugin behaves one way in a particular DAW does not mean that the bug is not in the plugin. The things that @Noel Borthwick has seen... 

Yeah, and it's actually free. Variety of Sound page, they've just released the 64 bit version, the 32 bit had the same problem.

It looks like it's the plugin, though. I've also tried in Reason, for 2 out of 3, and it's got the same problem. So the setting doesn't get stored in CW and Reason, but it gets stored in Harrison. Weird. interesting to see what the difference is with them. I've also reported the issue to VoS. Really cool delay, weird looking, but cool. One of my go tos, and I've got a bunch of them.

21 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

If you can provide details on this we'll investigate. I haven't heard of other reports of this.

I haven't used the PC in a while, cause now I'm a huge CLA Mixhub fan (which also has a problem, it doesn't store intermediate compressor release settings between some fixed resolution points, and it always reverts to the closest one of those on open, which I also need to redo on every open and it bugs the s*** out of me - logged a report with them, most of what I've reported they've fixed, but this one still lingers), so I don't remember exactly, it was either the order or the on/off state of some modules that I had to redo every time I opened a project.

21 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

Are you changing the metering options that frequently? It might be easier to save a template with these configured as desired so you don't need to access the menu options as often. The issue with doing a redesign to implement a separate options page for this is it diverts resources from other features/fixes.  We'll take it under consideration. 

No, I don't change them at all, that's the thing - I mean, not willingly. It's a set it and forget it kind of thing, only the "set it" part doesn't work. In the meantime, I have given up even setting them altogether, cause it takes too long to do - hence the menu issue - and it reverts back to the old resolution the next time.

I don't know how much an all-in-one settings window would take to program, but it would be a big simplification for adjusting that setting.

I appreciate the detailed answer.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Olaf said:

No, I don't change [meter settings] at all, that's the thing - I mean, not willingly. It's a set it and forget it kind of thing, only the "set it" part doesn't work. In the meantime, I have given up even setting them altogether, cause it takes too long to do - hence the menu issue - and it reverts back to the old resolution the next time.

The only issue I ever noted with meter setting persistence was that Playback meters would not recall the RMS+Peak mode, and would revert to Peak only (IIRC - I have not checked this one after seeing it persist for many years in SONAR). And the settings should save with project templates, so re-save your default and/or most frequently used templates with the desired settings, and that should take care of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Found a bug.

bug was found in the 2021.06.053 build.

it was carried over to the 057build too.

Edited by Will_Kaydo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

In-app update with an open project and using Download Now -> Show Folder -> updating from the  shown folder was uneventful (went smoothly) while pretending this was my first time updating from within the app.

Note: The following is from an expected VSTi crash.

However, either there is no "No" option in the crash dialog, or the dialog needs a way to scroll down to see it.

image.png.a0404039957cc4fe85341c0c3a584a8c.png

On second thought, maybe the "Preview" button is really the "No" button since pressing it closed the crash dialog and Cakewalk.

UPDATE: Not sure why I got the above in the crash dialog the first time, but it was corrected on a second crash:

image.png.78c01e09da2c39832aef16f791cbd010.png

Edited by User 905133
(3) to add an update; (2) to add "On second thought . . . " ; (1) to add image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...