Big Fish Audio - MOMENTUM - Free Sampler ( Serato Beater? )

aidan o driscoll

https://www.bigfishaudio.com/momentum.html

Thanks to @Xel Ohh for the tip on this. I installed it earlier and been noodling around with it for 2 hours. 

Works fine inside Cakewalk & Ableton. 

Could this be the FREE missing Sampler for Cakewalk? I think so, very nice features, try yourself .. The full walkthrough video at the link above is well worth a look

This video also worth a look:

SO what do ye think?

Look forward to thoughts ...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

22 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

One thing I am noticing is that it doesnt seem to sync with DAW or time stretch if you change BPM. Maybe im not seeing something here ..

JUST SORTED THIS ISSUE.

Load up Momentum VST. Add your sample inside the plug .. LEAVE THE BPM inside the vst at the Bpm of the sample. Do what you wish to the sample/s. Once happy there is a MIDI icon right of the Sample name inside the SLICE window feature .. DRAG THAT TO A TRACK IN CAKEWALK. Now change the BPM in CW to what you like and it will accordingly time stretch to that BPM in sync

Odd way of doing it .. but it works. Note in the image below the BPM is 100, thats the original BPM of the sample. BUT in CW i have set it to 80 and its syncing perfectly

BFA_Momentum_Cakewalk3.png

Edited by aidan o driscoll
  • Like 3

A real interesting one with this sampler that I dont think SERATO has .. You can load multiple samples inside the Momentum VST and slice, effect, do what you like with them. You can also set EACH OF THE SAMPLES to own OUT other than MASTER.

Once you have dragged the MIDI to a track you can continue to effect the sample and edit it inside Momentum while playing it looping in the CW track at what ever BPM you like, leaving the sample BPM as is INSIDE Momentum. The latter was what was throwng me originally 

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

16 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

I reckon this IS the missing sampler for CAKEWALK :D

I actually see no reason to buy Serato for this purpose .. in my opinion anyway. Momentum has so much more.

Thanks Aidan.

I'll give it a try as I have recently sold my copy of Serato Sample (never used it) but something potentially better for free must be worth a shot. 😁

19 minutes ago, paulo said:

The last time CW got involved with something called Momentum it didn't end well.

What was that? I forgot. 

I have played with Momentum and really liked what I was doing with it. Not being much of a sampler musician, I didn't understand a lot of things, but found my way around rather easily. 

It's free and comes with some samples too. I would recommend anyone interested in trying it out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeGBradford said:

Can you use this to automap multisamples? 

When working with loops does it have any advantages over Loopcloud' loop player?

I also have LOOPCLOUD.

They work differently in that LC has a separate app outside CW which is linked via 3 plugins inside CW. LC has its own simple "DAW" with 8 tracks to load samples into and chop and mix and effect be that LC samples OR your own.

Momentum is a VST plugin inside of CW where you can do pretty much the same. I prefer momentum for that because you are not swapping between CW and Loopcloud App. You can still use loopcloud at the same time OR use your loopcloud downloaded multiple samples inside momentum inside CW.

Momentum is not just one time sample at a time. You can load and mix and chop and effect multiple samples at a time + set each to its own out similar to Kontakt. See images below - you can see the MIXER VIEW with multiple samples loaded ( drag/drop ) and then the SLICE VIEW to do your thing with each sample. On the MIXER it says MASTER, this is a drop down showing OUT2 to OUT16

Its way of doing time stretch is a bit different. You need to drag the midi data for each sample to a track in CW, then set your bpm to what you want in CW itself and the samples in Momentum will sync. The BPM inside momentum is the bpm of the loaded sample only it seems

cw_momentum1.jpg

cw_momentum2.jpg

You can also see on the left is a STORE / MYFILES section. When you sign up with an account, a simple account and login to the VST with that you have option to download a 1.8GB FREE kit samples thing. In the SHOP it gives you option to buy BIG FISH AUDIO sample kits BUT thats OPTIONAL. Just drag and drop your own samples after that where ever they are from. I have had no popup adverts and no annoying flood of emails from BFA, but even if there were I think that would be fair based on fact this is a serious bit of FREE software.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, aidan o driscoll said:

Just drag and drop your own samples after that where ever they are from. I have had no popup adverts and no annoying flood of emails from BFA, but even if there were I think that would be fair based on fact this is a serious bit of FREE software.

Agreed. I was surprised at how much this could do being free!! I am guessing that they are wanting to push the subscription model or their samples. But from what I seen it dosen't push it in your face constantly.

What separates KONTAKT and makes it superior to any other multisample player is its scripting capabilities. Without the scripting capabilities level that KONTAKT has set as the standard -- and so far, to my knowledge, no other sampler / sample player has equaled them -- nothing else comes close. Of course, KONTAKT also has the advantage of being the top choice of sample developers, and that competition has increased the rate of innovation and kept prices lower. All of that said, I would love to see some really solid competition come along. Can anyone comment on the scripting capabilities of this and other alternatives that have been mentioned? 

Edited by PavlovsCat

3 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

What separates KONTAKT and makes it superior to any other multisample player is its scripting capabilities. Without the scripting capabilities level that KONTAKT has set as the standard -- and so far, to my knowledge, no other sampler / sample player has equaled them -- nothing else comes close. Of course, KONTAKT also has the advantage of being the top choice of sample developers, and that competition has increased the rate of innovation and kept prices lower. All of that said, I would love to see some really solid competition come along. Can anyone comment on the scripting capabilities of this and other alternatives that have been mentioned? 

Well .. quiet a good few people just want a sampler to chop and slice samples + time stretch and the like. And then effect them also. This is pretty much what Serato and Momentum are ..  the gap they fill. There is no  scripting in these apps as far as I am aware. 

They  also cover a gap where price is concerned .. being FREE as is case with Momentum and $99 ( though on sale for $49 now ) for Serato.

• Thanks 1

Don’t know if it’s still the case but when I tried it before it required being online to use it.  It may be an issue for some folks. 

I personally prefer the interface of serato sample and have been using it within Maschine for a long time. Momentum reminds me of NI Intakt if anyone remembers that far back :)

Glad it’s free and I’m sure folks will get a lot out of it.  For me I personally will stick with serato sample but don’t dismiss it. Thanks Aidan for pointing it out.

• Like 1