Name and Number (Curiosity Killed The Cat Cover)- Bandlab Collaboration

Ross Smithe

I have really been enjoying collaborating lately on remakes of some classic cover tunes. This is the latest offering with some friends over on Bandlab. Bass maestro Fabian Bono asked me to sing vocals on this fun and funky late 80's tune by the group Curiosity Killed The Cat. I didn't know it at all, and it was definitely outside of my usual wheelhouse as far as style and genre goes. Anyway, I dove in  with both feet, and really ended up having a blast stretching out of my comfort zone! I also ended up doing the brass/horns as well, and was actually quite happy with the way they came out. As before with this setup, I did my tracks in Cakewalk, they did theirs variously and posted them on BandLab. I then brought them into CW to mix and master. Truly international cast on this: Fabian on bass (Argentina), Susan on drums (Australia), Mario on guitar (Italy), Mikey on keys/organ (UK), and Angie on BGV's (US). Enjoy!

https://www.bandlab.com/post/9004dda4-f0fb-ee11-aaf0-000d3aa5105b

Edited by Ross Smithe
  • Like 3

• Ross Smithe changed the title to Name and Number (Curiosity Killed The Cat Cover)- Bandlab Collaboration

Ross , I sure enjoyed that wonderful collaboration.  The vocals were powerful and excellently done! This sounds like one that would be hard to pull off without being Totally comitted. I've not heard the original and don't think I need to ..

Enjoyed it ..   mark

• Thanks 1

On 4/21/2024 at 6:36 AM, Bajan Blue said:

Hi Ross

Thought this was great - I had totally forgotten about Curiosity Killed the Cat - brought back memories!!

Very good cover, enjoyed this a lot

Cool

Nigel

Thanks Nigel from all, glad we could bring some nostalgia!! Always appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment.

On 4/21/2024 at 1:00 PM, jack c. said:

one of me favorite bands.well done.jack c

Thanks Jack from all, appreciate you taking the time to listen!! They were definitely a hot and talented band, not just an average boy band, like some tried to pass them off as!

23 hours ago, mark skinner said:

Ross , I sure enjoyed that wonderful collaboration.  The vocals were powerful and excellently done! This sounds like one that would be hard to pull off without being Totally comitted. I've not heard the original and don't think I need to ..

Enjoyed it ..   mark

Thanks, Mark from all, appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment. Yeah this one was definitely a challenge, had a lot of fun though helping to bring it together!!

• Like 1

I must have slept through the late 80’s, totally missed this one. 
That being said, this was great!

I fear that the general attitude on the forum is that BandLab is a joke and we are “above” that. We’ll, thanks for dispelling that notion! Great collaboration, simply amazing. 

👍 ‘s 👏

t

• Thanks 1

On 4/18/2024 at 7:17 PM, Ross Smithe said:

I have really been enjoying collaborating lately on remakes of some classic cover tunes. This is the latest offering with some friends over on Bandlab. Bass maestro Fabian Bono asked me to sing vocals on this fun and funky late 80's tune by the group Curiosity Killed The Cat. I didn't know it at all, and it was definitely outside of my usual wheelhouse as far as style and genre goes. Anyway, I dove in  with both feet, and really ended up having a blast stretching out of my comfort zone! I also ended up doing the brass/horns as well, and was actually quite happy with the way they came out. As before with this setup, I did my tracks in Cakewalk, they did theirs variously and posted them on BandLab. I then brought them into CW to mix and master. Truly international cast on this: Fabian on bass (Argentina), Susan on drums (Australia), Mario on guitar (Italy), Mikey on keys/organ (UK), and Angie on BGV's (US). Enjoy!

https://www.bandlab.com/post/9004dda4-f0fb-ee11-aaf0-000d3aa5105b

Very cool - sounds great.  Good work by all the BL greats!

• Thanks 1

On 4/23/2024 at 10:19 AM, DeeringAmps said:

I fear that the general attitude on the forum is that BandLab is a joke and we are “above” that. We’ll, thanks for dispelling that notion! Great collaboration, simply amazing. 

👍 ‘s 👏

t

Thanks so much from all of us! 

On 4/23/2024 at 10:19 AM, DeeringAmps said:

👍 ‘s 👏

t

Thanks so much from all of us!

• Like 1