Arturia announces _AstroLab - Avant-garde Stage Keyboard 1599€

Solidos

I hate to be that guy.. but really dont get that small screen, you will need a tablet and defeat the whole standalone purpose of it🤷🏻‍♂️

that thing is the size of an apple watch.. is it supposed to wear that keyboard on our wrists??

• Haha 1

I’m personally too reliant on 3rd party plugins at this point, that without some kind of onboard dsp processor that can store/load other 3rd party effect plugins (at the least bit including their native FX3 or 4 suite), or without adding the functionality of fully weighted keys even… this doesn’t add much more to the arsenal for me than the lower tier keylab essential. Don’t mind keeping my laptop on stage even having this as an option. That said, it’s indeed pretty cool looking physically with the wood & rhodes style legs, and I honestly would have loved something like this starting out when i didn’t know what sounds i wanted, but when i already use V collection 8 for example, I’m rarely just using a stock sound or preset and calling it a day. Maybe good for some people but as described the thermostat sized screen doesn’t seem appropriate for the nitty gritty sound design scenarios I’d be diving into on the fly. That said I’m maybe too biased 1: based on that price point and 2: the fact that I wouldn’t be adding any sounds or effects to the arsenal with this as someone who already uses arturia software. posh i know. Maybe they’ll at least do something like an MKII version eventually with a bigger screen & using more surface area for more controls. I mean I could find a used Nord stage 3 at this price point so I’d personally go that route myself and gain some new soundbanks, given the above

14 hours ago, telecode 101 said:

Wow. I guess we shall see if anyone uses this live. 

Yeah. It's a bit of a strange one....they talk of it as "taking the studio to the stage", but then made it look like a piece of designer furniture that should never leave the home. The central controller screen/wheel is fine when just noodling ideas about in the "studio", but looks less than ideal for live purposes. That's not to say that I don't quite like it, just that for me it misses the point of what they say the point of it is.

A MK3 keylab with a NI sized screen and V collection/ALV built in is more like what it needed to be to achieve the stated aim.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, paulo said:

Yeah. It's a bit of a strange one....they talk of it as "taking the studio to the stage", but then made it look like a piece of designer furniture that should never leave the home. The central controller screen/wheel is fine when just noodling ideas about in the "studio", but looks less than ideal for live purposes. That's not to say that I don't quite like it, just that for me it misses the point of what they say the point of it is.

A MK3 keylab with a NI sized screen and V collection/ALV built in is more like what it needed to be to achieve the stated aim.

At that pricepoint NI should be able to make a Standalone NKS Keyboard, where you could have the same Arturia sounds and then some

2 minutes ago, Sander Verstraten said:

At that pricepoint NI should be able to make a Standalone NKS Keyboard, where you could have the same Arturia sounds and then some

... and an integrated coffee machine!

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Sander Verstraten said:

I didn't comment on the price because it seems that these days all manufacturers must get together and use the WPWPx2* algorithm to decide the price.

* What Paulo Would Pay x 2.

• Great Idea 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, paulo said:

I didn't comment on the price because it seems that these days all manufacturers must get together and use the WPWPx2* algorithm to decide the price.

* What Paulo Would Pay x 2.

Lucky you that we live in this era where in a year or two from now we all will be able to buy a Bastrolab by Behringer for exactly WPWP!

• Haha 3

I seem to have a minority view of this new product--I think it has great potential for musicians like me--who hate to bring a computer to their gigs and set up all the MIDI connections, program them via software like Mainstage and Gig Performer, etc., and would like to have the flexibility of software instruments (a very wide range of them via Arturia's software, which I already own) without the hassle of extra equipment and wiring etc. While I do feel the price is somewhat high (although you will be performing with sounds for over 33 instruments) and it doesn't include the full Arturia Suite, which I already have), it looks great as a stage piano. Since I already do a fair amount of sound design/programming in my studio for my Tribute gigs, for instance, if I spent the same time doing it on this product, then I would have a self-contained keyboard to plug and play, particularly since you can setup set lists, etc--it may be similar to what I do with my Nord Stage's Song Mode, having each song in the set point to various sound setups without haveing to duplicate patches. 

I do have a few quibbles with it, however, some of those have been mentioned by others online:  For one thing, it's only offered as a 61 note keyboard-for me I would use it as a top-tier 2nd keyboard, and if I wanted to connect my 88 weighted keyboard to it as a controller or even just independently operate it, I could, so it's not a huge deal, but certainly not an all-in one solution for me. 2nd, the split capability is limited to only two sounds, and I often use 3--but again, as a 2nd keyboard, it makes sense and would be more efficient in some ways than using MIDI for all of that. 

I mentioned the price, I think it will go down a bit in time...but I've already seen it for $1599, and really, there aren't too many keyboards that can emulated all those instruments "in the box" that would cost less.

Lack of polyphonic aftertouch will be a deal-breaker for some--but not for me, I barely use aftertouch of any kind...but it woud be nice to have in a brand new product, for sure. 

Having a weighted keyboard option (73-88 keys would work), more current aftertouch, and more split/layer functionality are probably the only real drawback. And it does look pretty, too.\

I recently bought an Arturia Kaylab 88 Mk ii for my studio, and currently I can't get the transport of other DAW functions to work at all in it--so it's not like I'm totally in awe of Arturia's products. While I own Keylab, I also own Kontakt's full suite and use this more extensively than I use Analog Lab and all their other instruments--but the instruments are very good, and for live use I have zero problems with using it as my main sound source, or as a supplement to my bread and butter, 88 note weighted Yamaha or my 76 weighted key Nord stage pianos. I do not mind editing the sounds in my studio and porting them to the Astrolab for live use. I do most of my sound design and patch mods in studio in advance, anyway. And there's just enough control with the macro controls to do some tweaking on the fly during a concert--I mean, who is really going to do any extensive sound programming while performing a live show? Not me--just the basic things I need to vary during a song or set.

I hope we can have a conversation about this product, I'm seriously considering it, even with it's limitations and price, and even though it's a 1.0 product that is sure to improve in a year or two of further develpment and user feedback. If it were under $1000 I wouldn't even hesitate, but that's just not realistic, in my view, for this type of product--others disagree, but as  a gigging musician and studio producer, I see loads of potential here, and immediate gratification--again, for those old guys like me who would rather not lug a computer and spend hours and weeks setting up MIDI control/patch changes. We will see what the market says.

19 hours ago, paulo said:

https://device.report/arturia/astrolab-88

It seems that one is on the way, but who knows when with Arturia. They do seem quite fond of dragging out a product launch.

that would be interesting, great find by you...price would probably be pretty high, but I agree with other posters that they could have considered at least putting the Arturia line of instruments as a package deal, even though by itself Analog Lab has a ton of sounds and emulations. 

Several things keep me on the sidelines (as someone who plays out regularly):

• Polyphony (48 voices is pretty limited for pianos... especially if you're using a lot of sustain pedal, 8 or 16 voices for the synths).
  • Multi-Timbral (only two simultaneous sounds).
  • Lack of realtime controls.  I've been spoiled by keyboards that offer lots of realtime control (Nord Stage 3/4, 3rd Wave, and Montage M8x).
  • Tiny display (this is maybe the must puzzling)

I like the idea of having the V Collection in a self-contained hardware keyboard.

Even as a second tier keyboard, it would have been more exciting to see 16-part Multi-Timbral and 128-voices of polyphony. 

There are times where I have to layer 3 or four sounds to achieve the desired result.  Two would never suffice.

If you want to edit the V Collection sounds, you need both AstroLab and the V Collection.  That's about $2000. 

That's starting to get into "workstation" cost.

• MODX+ is $1349 (no aftertouch)
  • Nautilus AT is $2200                  

The AstroLab would be a whole lot more appealing if it offered many realtime controls for  V Collection synth parameters.

If I have to edit the sounds on a computer, it would be nice to have near knob/button per-function.  That would make it feel a whole lot more integrated (like I'm operating a dedicated hardware instrument).

If you've ever edited sounds on something like a Nord Stage 4 (almost knob/button per-function)... and then switch to editing virtual-instruments with a mouse/keyboard (especially if you're programming an entire four hour show), it's a whole lot more tedious.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, paulo said:

https://device.report/arturia/astrolab-88

It seems that one is on the way, but who knows when with Arturia. They do seem quite fond of dragging out a product launch.

Having 88 weighted keys would be more appealing... but (for me) not with the same limited specs.

Also, not crazy about Arturia's 88-key weighted action (very stiff/sluggish)

If you have to play something like the organ solo to Carry On Wayward Son (moves *fast*) that's nigh on impossible.  It's tough on M8x and less so on the Stage-4

Side Note:

After playing other more stiff/sluggish 88-key keyboards, the Stage-4 almost feels organ like.

If you have tendonitis, the Stage-4 keyboard is wonderful.  There's enough weight to play with nuance... but there's not a lot of resistance (less wear/tear on tendons).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dave Maffris said:

that would be interesting, great find by you...price would probably be pretty high, but I agree with other posters that they could have considered at least putting the Arturia line of instruments as a package deal, even though by itself Analog Lab has a ton of sounds and emulations. 

They'd also need to not have the same keybed as the MK2 keylab though. I waited ages for my local retailer to get a black one in stock and when they did I went straight over there to get it. Came away without it even though they'd already said they would match a big discount that I'd found online. I'm no pianist, so I'm not used to weighted keys at all, but it felt like that thing was broken in some way. I thought  maybe it was just my inexperience of such things, so while I was there I quickly tried a Nord Stage Piano and a Roland RD2000 that were handily placed, just so that I had something to compare it to and that's what  really made me decide against it. Maybe it's good for piano playing, I couldn't say, but Astrolab is more synth than anything and it seems to me like that particular key action might not be the best fit.

Now I'm wondering if Astrolab actually IS their idea of a MK3 keylab and that's why they've only released the cheapo MK3 versions.

6 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

Having 88 weighted keys would be more appealing... but (for me) not with the same limited specs.

Also, not crazy about Arturia's 88-key weighted action (very stiff/sluggish)

If you have to play something like the organ solo to Carry On Wayward Son (moves *fast*) that's nigh on impossible.  It's tough on M8x and less so on the Stage-4

Side Note:

After playing other more stiff/sluggish 88-key keyboards, the Stage-4 almost feels organ like.

If you have tendonitis, the Stage-4 keyboard is wonderful.  There's enough weight to play with nuance... but there's not a lot of resistance (less wear/tear on tendons).

Jim, I agree with many of your points. I recently got the Keylab 88 and it is a very sluggish action, not sure it's going to work out, but I'm planning on just studio work with it, and as a pianist I can handle the weight ok, just not like my Nord Stage 3 at all. Also agree on the knob per fuction, but I don't really thing this particular keyboard is for those of us that are that sophisticated. In fact, I rather like the idea of prepping my sounds in studio--although, as you say, having knobs would make more sense but possibly add more cost. 

As far as polyphony, I missed that spec somehow, and agree it's limited--I did mention before the minimalist split function of only two sounds, because I use more than two frequently when I play out, as well. But I wouldn't use this for piano at all..I'm a trained pianist and I cannot and will not play piano on a non-weighted keybed--it just sucks...only in an emergency and on a limited basis. So this would be most likely a 2nd, top tier keyboard, and piano could be controlled by your 88 key master keyboard. Is that ideal, heck no. I'm avoiding 2nd keyboards and with a Nord I haven't needed one--but, alas my Nord is in need of a repair and is stuck in a shop now awaiting it's fate, so the idea of something to suppliment my other 88 note keyboard that isn't Nord-capable might work, due to the sheer amount of sounds you can dial in.

I don't usually design sound on a gig, so perhaps the macro controls will appeal to folks who do their tweaking at home, like I mostly do. 

And BTW, I still will not upgrade to Stage 4 no matter how much better it is than Stage 3 because of--Song Mode--the workarounds people are doing do NOT appeal to me whatsoever, nor does recreating years of patches designed to fit my daily purposes. If I had your tech knowhow I might feel differently, but that lack of Song Mode just completely turned me off. I'm old and set in my ways, lol.

33 minutes ago, Dave Maffris said:

And BTW, I still will not upgrade to Stage 4 no matter how much better it is than Stage 3 because of--Song Mode--the workarounds people are doing do NOT appeal to me whatsoever, nor does recreating years of patches designed to fit my daily purposes. If I had your tech knowhow I might feel differently, but that lack of Song Mode just completely turned me off. I'm old and set in my ways, lol.

My solution to Song Mode isn't super elegant (wastes a lot of patch space)... but it works equally well for me.

I've had an issue with broken Portamento on Synth Engine 1 (intermittent) since firmware 1.08.

Contacted Nord twice... and heard nothing from them.

Only solution is to flash back to firmware 1.06 (where Portamento works exactly as expected).

If you haven't, check out the Montage M8x.

It's a huge/heavy beast, but it's a really nice instrument.  Weakest spot is the AN-X filters (which are a bit generic).

I may replace my Stage-4 will the M8x (still haven't decided).