Cakewalk is crashing with the following message: BitBridge.exe Abnormal program termination

Cakewalk is crashing with the following message: BitBridge.exe  Abnormal program termination.  I don't know what BitBridge.exe is however, it is located in \Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities folder.   Cakewalk either closes abruptly or freezes requiring and End Task to get out of it.   I would certainly appreciate some insight as to what is happening and how to stop it.

Event Viewer is showing the following 3 crash messages:

Event Name: AppHangB1
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Cakewalk.exe
P2: 29.9.0.98
P3: 65d88531
P4: 2c59
P5: 134217728
P6: 
P7: 
P8: 
P9: 
P10: 

Attached files:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER.662ac971-f4a8-4bca-b59c-56c4b5176c1e.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER.1fb3d445-a7eb-4c7d-a7a5-da83bc879691.tmp.csv
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER.59ccf51a-b96f-492d-8226-7d7af7b32a09.tmp.txt
\\?\C:\Users\tdeha\AppData\Local\Temp\WER.4464bd57-6537-4cee-9dc0-bd5acac7276e.tmp.appcompat.txt
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER.3440bc33-0e1d-4c62-8583-39fb67169250.tmp.xml

These files may be available here:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppHang_Cakewalk.exe_ed10f1482a9d7ae4ce15d6cb53f6516ec50315c_e00807d0_e083ae4d-6334-482e-bf99-a4b6d134ecc1

Analysis symbol: 
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 300b288f-b95a-4656-a95f-e0c10f60ecef
Report Status: 268435456
Hashed bucket: 71aaa511d9bd264b8cb80702a733c20b
Cab Guid: 0

Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: AppHangTransient

Problem signature:
P4: unknown
P5: unknown
P6: unknown
P7: unknown
P8: 
P9: 
P10: 

Attached files:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER.31348167-f362-49e4-9c1c-4cbf24355c9d.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER.1a43d4ac-3431-4cfe-beb5-44d6d26e2ecf.tmp.csv
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER.c8e97721-35d9-4b21-b53b-f3e73750e78f.tmp.txt

NULL

Analysis symbol: 
Report Id: e4104d04-79d2-41be-86a7-9ea4bd60a93f
Report Status: 2049
Hashed bucket: 

Faulting application name: Cakewalk.exe, version: 29.9.0.98, time stamp: 0x65d88531
Faulting module name: P5antom.dll, version: 1.1.0.3, time stamp: 0x45b7ab41
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000005b14f
Faulting process id: 0x0x10B0
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1DA8472E0F02343
Faulting application path: d:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Cakewalk.exe
Faulting module path: d:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared DXi\P5antom\P5antom.dll
Report Id: 47b5ebe7-a81e-4fd0-ac66-9276930e1e1d
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

You are most likely using a 32 bit plug in. They need Bit Bridge to work on your 64 bit system.
Most of us avoid using any 32 bit plug ins as they are often unstable. Lots of old freebies are only 32 bit but just not usually worth the bother.

• Like 2

BitBridge enables the use of 32-bit VST effects and instruments in SONAR's 64-bit environment 

I believe P5antom.dll gets installed as part of Project 5 and is a 32 bit instrument - GrooveSynth I think.

Whether these things are compatible within Cakewalk By BandLab or new Sonar I have no idea. Others will probably be able to clarify I'm sure.

edit: Have you recently installed Project 5 by any chance? 

Edited by Steve_B

Posted (edited)

I have no idea what Project 5 is.   I did locate the file however.  It is in \Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared DXi\P5antom

Edited by tdehan

First no need to uninstall plug ins. Just exclude all the plug ins you don’t need in plug in manager.
But it’s not the problem. 

DXI are not VST and do not use Bit bridge. Those are plug ins installed by Cakewalk and Groove player is the metronome. 
Bit Bridge is for old 32 bit VST2 plug ins which a lot of old freebies are. 
Plug ins that use an installer will show on your Windows App list. You can uninstall them from there. 
The rest are just dll files found in your plug in folders and you can delete them if you like. 
I just exclude them. 
To avoid 32 bit version I simply never install them as well as the Program files x82 pathway is not scanned. 

Now I am trying to delete the 2 tracks with the 32bit plugin.  However, each time I try to delete them Cakewalk just hour glasses and freezes requiring and End Task to get out of it.  I've tried this now multiple times.  I get the following error in Event Viewer.

Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: AppHangTransient

Problem signature:
P4: unknown
P5: unknown
P6: unknown
P7: unknown
P8: 
P9: 
P10: 

Attached files:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER.13e27cd3-d21f-4242-a9be-127fecc3d438.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER.cba288e9-8c86-4f0f-b792-60ad6e1a9107.tmp.csv
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER.9207e88b-5813-48e9-9b73-58fa1faf4de1.tmp.txt

NULL

Analysis symbol: 
Report Id: ed84a780-12c9-4b29-9fbc-1c8cad76fe41
Report Status: 2049
Hashed bucket: 

Message I started:

Oh.  I think I would have tried using the Cakewalk plugin manager to exclude them first to see if that worked (in case I needed/wanted them somewhere down the road).

but when I came back to finish up, John Vere had written:

29 minutes ago, John Vere said:

First no need to uninstall plug ins. Just exclude all the plug ins you don’t need in plug in manager.
But it’s not the problem. 

But there seems to be a new problem (or a manifestation of the original problem that didn't get fixed):

23 minutes ago, tdehan said:

Now I am trying to delete the 2 tracks with the 32bit plugin.  However, each time I try to delete them Cakewalk just hour glasses and freezes requiring and End Task to get out of it.  I've tried this now multiple times.  I get the following error in Event Viewer.

First of all, are you using the same file or did you make a "Save As" copy of it to try to repair? That might or might not be necessary; that's just what I have done.

Second, are you loading the project in CbB's Safe Mode?  Not sure it will help, but it might be worth trying.

NOTE: There are plenty of people trying to help you with this one and I am hesitant to interfere, but since no one else mentioned these two points, here's my "two-cents worth" just in case they help.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

Safe mode is holding down the shift key then clicking on the song you want to open. You will have the choice of loading plugins. If you know which ones are causing the problems just go thru the list and choose not to open those. Otherwise, say no to all.

Evert time I work on a song I do save as song 01, song 02. I do this about every hour. I also hit save(CTRL-S) frequently. It will help with many problems. 

• Like 2

Yep,  Exactly why I've avoided 32 bit plug ins for possibly 10 years now. I only have 2 left,  one called Warp Delay that I used on 2 projects. And then Mr Tramp which was on a lot of stuff.  I moved them to the 64 bit folder and I keep them excluded. On the off chance I open those projects I would simply re include it again. It's too bad because there were some pretty cool plug ins that were never updated to 64 bit. Mr Tramp I still think was the best Wurly and it had a great tremolo built in. I now use Lounge Lizzard.  But the Warp delay is very weird and imposible to replace. 

Edited by John Vere

5 minutes ago, John Vere said:

On the off chance I open those projects I would simply re include them.

You don't even need to do that. Excluding plugins just hides them from the menus so they can't be added to a new project; it won't stop the plugin from being loaded in an existing project that uses it.

FWIW, I just loaded Groove Synth into a project and ran some MIDI through it. Seems fine. DXs don't use Btibridge.  Any DX that's working in an x64 DAW has been ported to x64. A Bitbridge crash would be related to some 32-bit VST - could be an FX as well as an instrument.

I second the proposal to use Safe Mode.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, David Baay said:

You don't even need to do that. Excluding plugins just hides them from the menus so they can't be added to a new project; it won't stop the plugin from being loaded in an existing project that uses it.

Good to know!  I think I've obliterated Mr Tramp by now. That said it never crashed Cakewalk.  I think I froze all those tracks. 

Yes Safe mode will be required to remove the plug ins from the project now. But I'm thinking what I've noticed is if I open any projects that the plug in is totally missing I just get a list. Therefore wouldn't  it work to delete the plug ins and then the project should open just fine but with a list of missing plug ins?? Or is this a issue that happens with only 32 bit plug ins? 

12 minutes ago, John Vere said:

Therefore wouldn't  it work to delete the plug ins and then the project should open just fine but with a list of missing plug ins??

Yes, or just temporarily move them to a location that's not scanned.  This may well be faster than OKing the load of every plugin you want to keep in Safe Mode.

You can also replace the last character in the file type, like "xxxx.dl_" or "xxxx.dl-".

I had a similar issue with BitBridge after installing X1, 2, & 3 - for no logical reason.  What worked for me was to right-click the Sonar.exe file, go to Properties > Compatibility and select Run as Administrator.

There should be no reason to have to do this for any program, but my issue also involved the Plugin Manager not working right for those same programs, so something went sideways during the Sonar installation processes or a Windows update broke something... again. 9_9

Thanks for all the replies.  I am not at my main project computer at this time and won't be for a few days.  I will try the suggestions then and let you know of the progress.

Thanks

• Like 1