Sampletank 4 MAX v. 2 $49.99 at Black Octopus

Starship Krupa

There are a number of reasons why you’d stay clear, mostly activation and GUI related, but the base sounds are actually not bad at all, and the MAX bundle gets you a lot of added libraries that are pretty good, particularly for that price. 

• Like 1

Actually, let me rephrase that. 
its a crazy price. 

WHAT’S INSIDE SAMPLETANK 4 MAX V2

Alan Parsons Imperial Grand

Alien Harbours

Alternate Keys

American Acoustic

Art Deco Piano

Beat Machines

Billy Cobham Drums

Bionic Drums

Brandenburg Piano

Cinematic Percussion

Circuit Damage

Clavitube

Electric Grand C70P

Electric Piano Bass

Elektronika – Chillout

Elektronika – Deep House

Elektronika – Drum’n’Bass

Elektronika – Hardcore

Elektronika – Indie Dance

Elektronika – Minimal

Elektronika – Techno

Elektronika – Trance

Extraterrestrial Saxophone

Fractured Piano

Future Synths

Hitmaker – EDM

Hitmaker – Reggaeton

Hitmaker – Synthwave

Hitmaker – Trap

Hugh Padgham Drums

L.A. Confidential

London Grooves

Malletension

Malletopia

Miroslav Philharmonik 2

Nanotube

Neil Peart Drums

NRG

Orchestral Percussion

Power Up

Ring of Doom

Salsa Percussion Loops

SampleTron 2

Shipwreck Piano

Spaceport ’77

Stage 73 Mark V

Swarm

Syntronik 2 99

Syntronik 2 Blau

Syntronik 2 Bully

Syntronik 2 CATO

Syntronik 2 DCO-X

Syntronik 2 Galaxy

Syntronik 2 GS-V

Syntronik 2 Harpy 260

Syntronik 2 J-60

Syntronik 2 J-8

Syntronik 2 KW-8000

Syntronik 2 M-12

Syntronik 2 M-Poly

Syntronik 2 Megawave

Syntronik 2 Memory-V

Syntronik 2 Minimod

Syntronik 2 Modulum

Syntronik 2 Noir

Syntronik 2 Obie One

Syntronik 2 OSC-V

Syntronik 2 OXa

Syntronik 2 Polymorph

Syntronik 2 Pro-V

Syntronik 2 Pro-VS

Syntronik 2 SAM

Syntronik 2 SH-V

Syntronik 2 Sorcerer

Syntronik 2 String Box

Syntronik 2 Syner-V

Syntronik 2 Synth-X

Syntronik 2 T-03

Syntronik 2 Triptych

Syntronik 2 V-80

Syntronik 2 VCF3

Terry Bozzio Drums

The Code Volume 1

The Code Volume 2

The Grid

The Resonator

Vector Vision

Wurly Model 120

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Insane price indeed, I already got Sampletank 4 Max through a Group Buy, but thinking of actually getting this just for The Resonator, Syntronik 2 Max & the few new libraries, bonus being I could then use this to upgrade to a future Total Studio including Pianoverse through a Maxgrade, which apparently I can't now, my ST4 Max being acquired through a Group Buy...

Some great instruments in there, the piano & the acoustic guitars are pretty good, lol ST5 Max will be a full terabyte

Edited by MattMusic

Regrettably this deal is too late for me 😞 (I purchased lately 2 things I was interested in and have the Syntronik stuff since a long time).

But I also have a new problem: I could activate Miroslav Philharmonik CE (even offline on my other pc), but in SampleTank 4 CS it is shown "not activated", strange! But as someone said above, it's those weird IK installation and authorization thing!

EDIT: Suddenly it is authorized also in ST4! I don't know why, but it's okay now. 😅

Edited by CSistine
  • Like 1

Unquestionably there are better orchestral collections out there, and probably better acoustic pianos, but for the rest....it's an incredible collection of instruments to have access to.

I haven't installed any of the acoustic pianos, from Art Deco to Shipwreck, because I already have Meldway Grand in Sound Factory. Similarly, I haven't installed all of the drum stuff. But you only have to want a handful of the instruments in the bundle to make it worth the price. Other than the orchestral libes, the plums for me are SampleTron and Syntronik.

Here's my review/comment from VI Control....

I got it 6 months ago when it was on sale for $70. With Jam Points applied, it came out to...$49.

For me it was the proverbial acephalic purchase, because I've been getting by with freeware orchestral instruments and SONIVOX. So even the Miroslav Philharmonik stuff was a step up. I figure I can learn more about articulations and so forth using this, and if I want to advance to better libraries, I can do so. So if someone's needs for orchestral instruments are just things like background string pads in pop songs, or they're just getting started, there's value there. I don't think I need to drop hundreds of dollars just to be able to lay in some strings under my baroque pop tune.

Yes, I agree, if you already have a nice collection of sampled instruments, there's probably not going to be much new here for you in that vein. I suspect that for a lot of VI members, that's the case.

Something to consider, though, is that Sampletank MAX isn't just one instrument (Sampletank and its collection of instruments), it's also a bundle of a number of their other products that use the Sampletank engine.

For instance:

Syntronik covers a wide variety of vintage synths, with some rather obscure ones in addition to the well-known Jupiters and Junos. Modulars, I think there's some Fairlight in there, IIRC, so if you need those specific vintage synth sounds, it's great. I've already gotten one song out of patch browsing Syntronik.

Sampletron is a blast! In addition to all of the Moody Blues/Genesis/Strawberry Fields Mellotron sounds you'd expect, it includes an extensive Optigan library. That's a big treat for people like me who've always been curious about that instrument. Something I've not seen anywhere else is that it includes the weirdo sound effects tapes that other Mellotron libraries leave out.

For people who already have extensive higher-quality sampled orchestral and piano and other acoustic instruments, one way to look at this might be not from the perspective of all the stuff it duplicates, but rather look at the things it comes with that you don't already have.

Would you pay $50 for Syntronik 2? Many people have paid more. $50 for a comprehensive Mellotron, with Chamberlin and Optigan and the cute lo-fi SFX along with it? Those alone made it worth it for me.

I told a friend of mine about the deal and he bought it mostly because he's a big fan of Neil Peart and wanted the Neil Peart Drums instrument. You get not only the sound of his kit, but a bunch of MIDI beats and loops.

Their installer allows you to install only the components you want, even down to individual Syntronik instruments, so your drive isn't burdened with 300G of samples you don't need.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, audioschmaudio said:

It's bad? Why is that?

It's not bad bad, IMO. But if you compare size (disk space + memory footprint) vs instrument options and/or sound quality, you may start questioning the rationale behind acquiring this tank of samples. In that regard, ST3 was much better.

8 hours ago, audioschmaudio said:

It's bad? Why is that?

Like Fleer said, there's a *ton* of content, and some of it is good...even very good. But very little of it (at least in terms of acoustic instruments) matches the level of dedicated libraries. 

The biggest problem is that actually *using* SampleTank is such a pain in the ***** that I just can't be bothered to fight with the tiny, user-unfriendly GUI. I really like some of the synth libraries, but working with SampleTank takes all the fun out of it for me.

If some talented chap/chapess was  starting from scratch, strapped for cash, and sufficiently motivated, I'm sure they could make amazing sounding tracks with ST4! But they might lose the will to live before they pulled it off.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Craig Fowler said:

I just can't be bothered to fight with the tiny, user-unfriendly GUI.

I don't know about its friendliness as far as sampling or working with samples; I can only speak for my use of it as a ROMpler. I've not found it to be any worse than Kontakt Player for that, yet considerably better than Zampler or Halion.

"Tiny" UI? On my system each of its UI views scales as big as I could want, larger even (it can be resized to fill the entire screen, and all elements scale with it).

Here's what it looks like, although the forum will shrink it somewhat:

image.thumb.png.2b3abd72b016b549d572a319eea9c092.png

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Fleer said:

As for the GUI, my problem with it is not that it’s too small, but that it’s not attractive, alluring, sexy or what have you. It doesn’t draw me in. 

It's no looker for sure, but the contrast issue is the biggest problem for me. That and the IK response to the many users asking for this to be improved or  adjustable...it's not our UI it's your monitors.... You mean those monitors that seem to display every other software UI just fine IK? Ok then.......

They could make it free now and it still wouldn't be worth it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, paulo said:

It's no looker for sure, but the contrast issue is the biggest problem for me. That and the IK response to the many users asking for this to be improved or  adjustable...it's not our UI it's your monitors.... You mean those monitors that seem to display every other software UI just fine IK? Ok then.......

They could make it free now and it still wouldn't be worth it.

yup. agree. it could be better if they implemented some sort of change in GUI theme.

2 hours ago, Fleer said:

As for the GUI, my problem with it is not that it’s too small, but that it’s not attractive, alluring, sexy or what have you. It doesn’t draw me in. 

It's the browser that's terrible.  As for activation that is not an issue.

Many of the sounds are a replacement as a GM module.  Smaller libraries that will load easy from a HDD, not named Syntronik.

Library structure is not as great as Kontakt. Basically if you wanted to separate it among 3 drives there's a risk moving them and not work.  Most likely you would have to reinstall.

FWIW.. I run in off external drive. No issues at all. Just make sure you keep the expected folder naming structure.

I don't want to sound like an IKM sales rep. But where it's handy for me is it allows me to work on ideas from just one interface. I do more traditional folk, rock music. So having access to al those sampled instruments with some rudimentary t-racks  effects interface is handy for me. I don't do much sound design or experimental stuff. Just a lot of arranging and rudimentary orchestration. I recently get into using it for its multi functionality and that sort of opened up some new possibilities. When I start working on a new track, its usually one of the first things I load up.

Edited by Nitrate Audio
  • Like 2

This discussion as to whether SampleTank 4 MAX  v. 2 is worth dropping $49 on got me to fire it up and run through some of those Sampletron sounds I hadn't tried yet, the oddball ones like Optigan SFX.

There's a huge collection of delightfully lo-fi rhythm loops lurking in those old Mellotron tapes. I guess the idea was that these loops could also function as a rhythm machine for people performing solo. I tend to think of the 'tron as a prog rock machine, but I suspect that it may have been originally conceived as a way for someone to play live as a one-person band.

So if yer into lo-fi loops, it's a great collection. And again, there are lo-fi loop libraries that go for the price of the entire package.

Yeah, I forgot about the collection of MixBox FX that it has built in.

I'm not an IK sales rep either, just a happy SampleTank 4 MAX user. 😄 When I got this product 6 months ago, multiple installer packages were broken; I wound up having to manually download some of the Mac versions and convert them. They've since fixed most of these issues. That is one area where SampleTank and associated products still have room for improvement: installation and authorization. But I find it worth a bit of slog given the results.

BTW, when you install it, make SURE that you select only the products that you want to install, one at a time. Otherwise, if you choose to install the main product it will install EVERYTHING. Between the downloaded files and the installed ones, your drive could wind up full. I made this mistake and had to abort the installation once I saw what was happening. Cleaning up after that was a pain.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, paulo said:

t's no looker for sure, but the contrast issue is the biggest problem for me. That and the IK response to the many users asking for this to be improved or  adjustable...it's not our UI it's your monitors.... You mean those monitors that seem to display every other software UI just fine IK? Ok then.......

Dark grey text on a  black background is difficult to read if you are on a laptop with the brightness turned down a bit to protect your eyes.

• Like 1