[fixed] HELP: Something Killed 64 bit Sonar

[Fix = RAA - run as administrator]

Sonar X1 thru 3 don't work right when CbB is installed.  I went thru several uninstall/reinstalls to confirm this.

This didn't happen until a few days ago.

1.  X1 thru X3 are unable to see VSTs any more.  After a scan the PIM shows <<No entries>>.  Only DX plugins are shown:
emptyscan.jpg.0cae7d0d2cc7c17b1d58cb34714a7dfe.jpg

2.  A strange flag occurs when opening 64 bit Sonars:
scoofster.jpg.38f834267f6954b0ea8cfc895bdcfcb9.jpg  UPDATE:  BitBridge is causing it but I can't find a reason.  Current fix is to disable it.

3.  CPU meter is dead in 64 bit X1 thru X3:
no-cpu.jpg.fdef0c67ed19dfab3648af476e1b40f3.jpg  SPlat has a right-click setting that can change to System which shows activity, but Audio still shows nothing.

32 bit Sonars seem unaffected.  Unrelated issue 32 bit X1 reports the wrong serial # and says my registration code is Invalid when trying to enter it as admin.

These may be registry issues?

Edited by sjoens
  • Haha 1

Uh Oh.  I might still have SONAR X3 PE on my previous audio computer.  Thanks for the heads up. As time permits I will check.  Which build of X3  did you use?  Not sure it will make a difference, but it might.

PS: I just noticed the header in this warning:   scoofster.jpg.38f834267f6954b0ea8cfc895bdcfcb9.jpg  Maybe the issue involves BitBridge?

Edited by User 905133
to add a PS re: Bitbridge

@sjoens Sounds like a "system issue" on your end.

11 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

As time permits I will check

Hold on to your sphincters children, SPLAT is working fine here! (and to answer your question, CbB is up to date here)

that is all...

t

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

28 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

Uh Oh.  I might still have SONAR X3 PE on my previous audio computer.  Thanks for the heads up. As time permits I will check.  Which build of X3  did you use?  Not sure it will make a difference, but it might.

PS: I just noticed the header in this warning:   scoofster.jpg.38f834267f6954b0ea8cfc895bdcfcb9.jpg  Maybe the issue involves BitBridge?

have you tried removing that "module"? (i assume it's a 32bit VST)

eta, it's a synthedit module, i'd highly recommend finding modern (ie, 64bit) alternatives for any synthedit plugins you're using

/goodluck

Edited by pwal³
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

I just opened Home Studio and it has everything working. But then I won't touch a 32 bit plug in with a ten foot pole these days. For that I have an old W7 laptop and it's only to play one old project that used Warp Delay. Open that project in W10    ( or 11? ) and Cakewalk will crash.  

You should edit your title because I would not be pointing the finger at CbB just so quickly. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 3

No good reason the program S-Plat resides in its own directory. However it appears you are running 32bit S-Plat which should be in the X86 program directory. 

CbB installs in the 64 bit program directory. Unless you have installed it differently. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sjoens said:

HELP: CbB Killed 64 bit Sonar

So the age of clickbait titles has finally reached this forum as well? I though for a second I'd come to YouTube.

Just ran a manual plugin scan in SONAR Platinum x64 and it worked perfectly fine. It picked up all my last purchases. Boring, I know.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

I couldn't repro a problem rescanning in SONAR X3. It sounds like you might have a particular plugin that was causing the scanner to fail. 

synthedit, see above

There's a real good reason most of us never have any problems. 

A quick visit to Mr. sjoens profile and you will see pages of posts which most all have the word "Issues" in the title. 

• Like 1
  • Meh 1

4 hours ago, sjoens said:

3.  CPU meter is dead in 64 bit Sonars:
no-cpu.jpg.ee517a9bdb8979e9a04ede7515f201d8.jpg

Are you running an extremely small ASIO buffer? All versions of SONAR up to the final release of Platinum had a limitation that they would not display a histogram in the Perf Meter at ASIO buffers less than 32 samples. This was addressed in CbB at some point. Also, the metering algorithm was less sensitive in SONAR and would show a lower load than CbB. If the project is light enough and your buffer big enough, you might not see any activity in SONAR for a project that shows some low level activity in CbB.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Guys, I'm sure this is all on my end.  Everything was working fine until a few days ago.  When I uninstalled CbB completely, Sonar went back to operating normally.  When I reinstalled CbB, the issues returned.

As John politely pointed out I have a history of Twilight Zone experiences.  I thought after a complete HDD reformat and install of Windows, things would be better.

Edited by sjoens

7 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

It sounds like you might have a particular plugin that was causing the scanner to fail. 

Maybe but then I would expect CbB to have the same issue since PIM and BitBridge are shared utilities.

• sjoens changed the title to HELP: Something Killed 64 bit Sonar
On 3/4/2024 at 8:21 AM, sjoens said:

Edit: Sonar X1 thru 3 don't work right when CbB is installed.  I went thru several uninstall/reinstalls to confirm this.

This didn't happen until a few days ago.

1.  X1 thru X3 are unable to see VSTs any more.  After a scan the PIM shows <<No entries>>.  Only DX plugins are shown:
emptyscan.jpg.0cae7d0d2cc7c17b1d58cb34714a7dfe.jpg

2.  A strange flag occurs when opening 64 bit Sonars:
scoofster.jpg.38f834267f6954b0ea8cfc895bdcfcb9.jpg  UPDATE:  BitBridge is causing it but I can't find a reason.  Current fix is to disable it.

3.  CPU meter is dead in 64 bit X1 thru X3:
no-cpu.jpg.fdef0c67ed19dfab3648af476e1b40f3.jpg  SPlat has a right-click setting that can change to System which shows activity, but Audio still shows nothing.

32 bit Sonars seem unaffected.  Unrelated issue 32 bit X1 reports the wrong serial # and says my registration code is Invalid when trying to enter it as admin.

These may be registry issues?

Not sure if you are still having these issues? Try "Running as administrator" ... BitBridge on my PC needs Admin permission... Also, it appears that perhaps Plugin Manager was running outside of SONAR X3,... If it is launched directly from PluginManager.exe it will look exactly like your screen shot... Perhaps Plugin Manager also needs Admin permission inside of SONAR X3 for you...

Edited by SirWillyDS12
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, SirWillyDS12 said:

Try "Running as administrator"

^^^ BEST ANSWER ^^^

That was it.  Not sure why it be necessary so I must have forced it's hand somehow.  I install everything as admin but can't be the reason or SPlat & CbB would require it also.  Selected RAA in the .exe file Properties so it's automatic each time I use them.

Thank you SirW!  You have not only restored Sonar but also my faith in this forum.

Interesting discussion here, which ends with this:
"If you find that you do need to run Sonar as an administrator, get Cake support on the phone and resolve the real problem."

Edited by sjoens
  • Like 1

• sjoens changed the title to [fixed] HELP: Something Killed 64 bit Sonar

the challenge for many - Microsoft (and numerous products) set permissions to "improve security" and periodically i find permissions have been reset during updates, and some programs (mostly non-audio products) set really strict permissions, and some even set sub-folder as "system" etc (and i won't mention some Adobe products doing crap like this...).

so installing as admin should be a normal action, however, running as admin, means some permissions were set (like in the Program Files, Program Data (sometimes), and App Data hidden folders) which are restrictive as user. so you either need to set the permissions to users when that happens, or simply (esp offline use) set your user account as admin which hides a lot of the mayhem.

Edited by Glenn Stanton
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, sjoens said:

^^^ BEST ANSWER ^^^

That was it.  Not sure why it be necessary so I must have forced it's hand somehow.  I install everything as admin but can't be the reason or SPlat & CbB would require it also.  Selected RAA in the .exe file Properties so it's automatic each time I use them.

Thank you SirW!  You have not only restored Sonar but also my faith in this forum.

You're welcome...

I'm running Windows 10 on my music PC which is offline... It has just one account setup which is Admin and with UAC disabled...  Every version of SONAR or Cakewalk I have to "Run as Administrator" or some things just don't work right, like Plugin Manager... That PC hasn't been online in quite some time and the only time it does go online is if I absolutely can not activate something through an offline method...

When it does go online I make sure none of Microsoft's update bull-**** is running... Last thing I need is for them to start to "Ruin\Update" my pc... Their little homing pigeons are quick to find an open ethernet connection... I don't need **** that i disabled and deleted updated...

• Like 2