Ableton Live 12 - Ready to be purchased

Niky Serrano

Essentially the few "big" changes are:

- The mixer now viewable as well on the session or arranger view
- 2 new instruments Roar and Meld
- New midi editing tools
- Search Features eg sound similarity search
- Few more small view changes

No game changing upgrades????  ..  unless you really granularly use Midi editing tools. I looked briefly and its sort of Scaler plugin built in? 

Edited by aidan o driscoll
  • Thanks 1

On 3/1/2024 at 6:27 PM, Nitrate Audio said:

I am flipping between switching to DP or Ableton.I am done with Cubase. I have no intention of upgrading anymore.

W T F. Going from Cubase to Ableton is like going from Porsche to Bobby Car. What’s there to hate about Cubase? High upgrade prices?

• Like 1

On 3/1/2024 at 10:27 AM, Nitrate Audio said:

I am flipping between switching to DP or Ableton.I am done with Cubase. I have no intention of upgrading anymore.

I'd recommend Studio One.  I like the GUI.   Live is a laptop first DAW and doesn't have the screen real estate compared to Cubase.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

I'd recommend Studio One.  I like the GUI.   Live is a laptop first DAW and doesn't have the screen real estate compared to Cubase.

Agreed. Studio One is closer to Cubase. And even closer to Pro Tools.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

My choice for mixing,  too. I've never regretted switching to S1. 

• Like 2

I guess it depends on how a person works. I seldom get an entire tune in my head all at once, so it's great for immediate tracking in the loop section and then all of that can be put together to make something. I don't think any other DAW does that as well. 

If you track bands and have large counts then I could see Studio One or PT. 

However plenty use it for this too.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2024 at 3:20 PM, aidan o driscoll said:

My Upgrade from 11 to 12 email arrived - €87

I assume that's for the Standard version? That's crazy. The upgrade for Suite is 159€ though Standard users actually get more new stuff than Suite users.
Standard users get four new instruments, Suite users get two new instruments.
Standard users get seven new packs, Suite users get four new packs.
Standard users get one new effect, Suite users get one new effect.

The upgrade for Suite users should be cheaper than for Standard users.

Edited by audioschmaudio
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

6 hours ago, audioschmaudio said:

I assume that's for the Standard version? That's crazy. The upgrade for Suite is 159€ though Standard users actually get more new stuff than Suite users.
Standard users get four new instruments, Suite users get two new instruments.
Standard users get seven new packs, Suite users get four new packs.
Standard users get one new effect, Suite users get one new effect.

The upgrade for Suite users should be cheaper than for Standard users.

It never is.  The only real value in Suite is Max4Live.

Yeah for anyone with a collection of plugins and vsti I don't see the need to pull the trigger on Suite. My upgrade path price for standard was 127$.

Only real advantage to suite would be that all of the files are organized and most anything you need is there if you are new to mixing and don't have anything, I think it's a good tool kit for that. I probably would not buy it for the asking price as a noob, but I have seen licenses for sale used which might be  a way to do it.

Noob would be better to start with the basic free version first to get a feel for it IMO. My updrade to suite from 11 standard was 225$ not bad if I didn't have anything else, but one can't hardly frequent this section of the forum and "not have anything" :)

If my computer blew up tomorrow and I was forced to reload everything, I might consider it then and just omit all of the half crap plugins I have I never use any more. Stream line things.....maybe.

I hate to tell you I was clearing a lappy yesterday and Cakewalk went bye bye. It's still on my desktop. For now.

Just checked in my Ableton account to see if Live Lite 12 is there yet. Still just showing Live 11 Lite - does anyone know if they are making a Lite version of 12. I don't use Live enough to justify the cost of the Intro version

BTW you can pay for your ABLETON Upgrade / or buying new via KLARNA facility at the ableton site when you are at checkout. This allows you to pay for Ableton over 3 monthly totally interest free installments. So for example my upgrade price is €87 - thats 3 x €29 installments

Just thought this worth considering if the sheckles are a bit tight and the no interest thing

Edited by aidan o driscoll

1 hour ago, JoeGBradford said:

Just checked in my Ableton account to see if Live Lite 12 is there yet. Still just showing Live 11 Lite - does anyone know if they are making a Lite version of 12. I don't use Live enough to justify the cost of the Intro version

I assume so. I think the lite version is a month or so behind the 'regular' release. And from what I remember the Lite versions upgrade each time.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

@Tim Smith I did see in one of the 11 to 12 type reviews a guy saying he uses Ableton as much as possible with Abletons OWN instruments and efx, doesnt use any external VSTs if he can avoid it. Finds workflow far quicker etc etc

I wouldn't do this with some DAWs, but I do find myself using the compressors and Eqs in standard 11 a lot  for basic track control. Guitar amps are meh. I would rather use Guitar Rig 7.

Another benny of Ableton is the tons of hardware made for it out there. My Arturia MKII is flawless with it. I have tended to use 3rd party instruments, but maybe I should look at what's in there. I haven't ventured very far into that territory as of yet. The DAW is generally pretty cpu light for what I do in it. I would say more so than many others with the exception of maybe Reaper, but I never got on well with Reaper. Using the stuff made in the stuff for the stuff has to have some benefit. They seem to have maximized things very well in the ecosystem.

I was looking for just a nice piano sound in Omnishphere the other day and could not find one. They are all the weird dreamy ones. A couple of solid keyboard bread and butter sounds would be nice and I would likely use them if included.

There's a lot in even 11 I never used. I'm not really a synth tweaker to a large degree and  I just play stuff in midi sometimes making small corrections. I don't write from start to finish in midi sequencer style, but apparently many do. It's great for that. One thing that I really liked was the ability to slow down or speed up the tempo of a pre recorded song audio and midi and still have it sound realistic. You can select the algorhythm and yes "if" you change both the speed and the key it might begin to sound funny all depending.

Even in standard these's a lot in there. Max has a decent orchestra in it. That isn't something I ever see myself using very often and I don't tweak much I put things in that work and use them.

I have my download license. Just a matter of finding the time to do it.

• Like 1

Just installed it and posted around for a couple of minutes. Installations went smooth. Now to dive into the new browser, download the new packs and see how all the MIDI changes are working for me. In theory, or from what I saw, it should be really awesome for what I do so I'm pretty excited.

• Like 3