Can I connect my audio interface to an "audio USB Type-C"?

2 hours ago, Anders Madsen said:

My PC has two USB-C ports. One is busy, and the other one is specified as "audio USB Type-C", and the PC came with a usb-c to jack cable.
Can I connect my (soon to be mine) audio interface to this one?

What is a "usb-c to jack" cable?

So, I wonder if that "audio USB Type-C" is somehow connected to the onboard soundcard or smth.. -Intended for headphones only?
Or if it can be used to connect an USB-C type audio interface as well.

Edited by Anders Madsen

can you plug your phone into it and see that you have access to the phone storage? if so, as i think it is, it's a USB type-c which basically should handle whatever USB device you use. likely it as marketed as "audio" because they included a cheap USB-audio converter in lieu of a headphone jack... it would be helpful to know what PC you have.

4 hours ago, Anders Madsen said:

So, I wonder if that "audio USB Type-C" is somehow connected to the onboard soundcard or smth.. -Intended for headphones only?
Or if it can be used to connect an USB-C type audio interface as well.

I'm guessing it's like a phone. My pixel 6 does both audio and digital (USB). Manuals today suck, they're not very clear about IF options. Have you checked the manufacturers website or YT for videos related to your PC?

My last two interfaces have USB C ports. This is now the standard connection for devices. The old type B are fading away.
The Motu came with C to  A  and a C to C cables. 
The Zoom just the C to A. 

I have a feeling the OP has a new laptop or tablet that doesn’t have headphone jacks. Therefore the supplied adapter and markings on the device. 
If it’s a tablet then the driver might not work. 

And since when have users manuals sucked? Possibly with certain brands but all the gear I purchased over the last few years had very good manuals. Especially the Zoom. 
Its important because each interface might need steps or rebooting to install the driver. 

A USB-C to USB-A adapter should be fine.  USB-C is essentially a USB 3 port with a higher power tolerance.

AFAIK, the USB-C to 3.5mm jack plugs actually present themselves as a blue-tooth device to phones, albeit wired (my lightning to 3.5mm adapter does).

• Like 1

I actually found the Audient  EVO 8 at a local dealer today, and I immediately (bought it) and plugged in to this oddly named "audio USB-C"
-Because the motherboard came with this USB to jack-cable, I was afraid it had limited functionallity.
Turned out; it didn't.
It worked just like I hoped it would; just like a normal audio-interface connection.
Thanx, guys!  :)
(Byebye, Octa-capture)

Edited by Anders Madsen
  • Like 2

I'm sure it did. But my old Octa-capture had started to let me down here and there; Low output on some channels, some crackling on the monitor/speaker connections, and even high latency on driver. 
Plus, it could not handle the Shure sm7b very well.

Edited by Anders Madsen

9 hours ago, Anders Madsen said:

Plus, it could not handle the Shure sm7b very well.

Did you use a preamp with it?
There is a reason why the Cloudlifter is usually sold along with the SM7b and now Shure has the SM7db that has the Cloudlifter integrated into the mic.

2 hours ago, gustabo said:

Did you use a preamp with it?
There is a reason why the Cloudlifter is usually sold along with the SM7b and now Shure has the SM7db that has the Cloudlifter integrated into the mic.

This is true but most interfaces have no problem. I use a SM7b and all my interfaces easily are set at a perfect level. It’s about 3 notches up from my Beta 58 but once set it’s no different. But if the pre amp are noisy then it is a problem. There’s plenty of info about interface pre amp S/ N specs.
It wouldn’t surprise me that Roland’s interfaces might not have stellar pre amps. 

Edited by John Vere