JJ Cale version C****n bass bloopers

John Vere

It always amazes me to here bloopers in popular songs. Possibly JJ Cale's version wasn't the hit that Eric's was,  but every time I hear it I can't help but notice the Bass boners on the run down. Out of curiosity I looked up who this amazingly bad bass player was wondering how they got into a recording studio. Here I found my answer C****e was song #6 on the album. 

J. J. Cale – vocals, guitar, piano ( tr. 3 ), organ ( tr. 3 ), bass ( tr. 4, 6 ), slide guitar ( tr. 8 ), Electric Guitar, Soloist [First Solo]

Charles Dungey – bass guitar on tracks 1, 9

Tommy Cogbill – bass guitar on tracks 2, 5, 8, 10-12

Joe Osborn – bass guitar on 3

Anyhow it's a classic example of why guitar players should not be allowed near a bass unless they have paid their dues actually playing the bass in a live band for a few years. 

@  0: 28 is first signs that the bass player is unsure of what to play. 1:41, 2:00 Missing notes, ( edited out?)  1:54 another on the edge of trouble run. And the very noticeable train wreck at  2:20 where it's a good semi tone flat on not just one but 2 notes.  Amazing that they never fixed this with all this re mastering etc. I could fix it in Cakewalks Next in a few minutes. 

• Like 1

• Wookiee changed the title to JJ Cale version C****n bass bloopers

Ya it was weird. I’ve never posted anything that when I did it said it was subject to review by a Moderator. I was thinking it was possible copywriting because of the video. I was surprised that the title of a song was forbidden by the forum due to it being the name of a bad ***** hard drug.

Thanks to our furry friend the moderator  for the fix.  

Testing 1-23 - Pot

Testing 1-23 - Hash

• Haha 2

Imagine the number of people who could potentially start doing blow just because they happen to visit this forum and read the real word for coke... 

EDIT: The above was a test and, see, these alternatives are ok. 😁

Edited by Rain
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Oh my censored twice in the same day! I guess the beast that was apparently part of ,, hold it a minute, I better not type that name either because some people use it as a curse word. I was just going to say there was an …. In the stall in Bethlehem where this important historical event took place, hmm,   And it’s in the lyrics of a popular Christmas song about a drummer. It kept time along with an Ox. Is Ox a curse word? I guess I’ll find out once I post. 
This is fun, let’s see how many words are censored here. 
Testing 1-23 Poo

Testing 1-23 Dang

Testing 1-23 Snot

Edited by John Vere

One of my favorite songs ev-ar.

Warts and all it still leaves Clapton's cover in a bloody battered heap.

The absolute coolest thing about the song, the hypnotic slap-damped guitar rhythm, Clapton both got the timing slightly off and played notes on that stroke instead of completely muting it.

I remember hearing Cale's song on the local FM in high school and just being mesmerized by that rhythm guitar, sly, like the guy was playing it with a little wink, never heard such a simple rhythm guitar part say so much. It felt like having the coolest guy in the school do that thing where someone reaches across your back and taps you on your opposite shoulder, then give a smile and nod after you fall for it. Or like that little mute was the moment of in-ha-lation.

When I read that Clapton had covered it...I thought "I bet he gets it as wrong as he got 'After Midnight'), and I was correct. So much so that I. Can't. Stand. to listen to either Clapton's version or any cover that imitates the way Clapton played it, which, once his record came out, was ALL of them. NA-na nuh Na na-NAHH. Do not play the "na" in red under penalty of lame.

Cale's solo also cuts Clapton off at the ankles.

I agree that if he had access to Joe Osborn (which according to those credits he did), why not get him in for an overdub? Google says he was a Wrecking Crew guy and he played the cool intro on The Association's "Windy" (as well as the rest of the track). The mess that wound up on the released record sounds like a scratch track. I hear even more f-ups on it than you listed. That damn rhythm guitar keeps such a lock on my attention that I never heard it before.

Maybe the story went something like "When we went to mix, somehow Joe Osborne's bass track had gotten lost, and my scratch track was all that he had to work with."

1 minute ago, Wibbles said:

Clapton is permanently on the naughty list as far as I'm concerned.

At the height of the COVID pandemic, apparently Clapton came out as anti-vaccination. I saw a meme that suggested that maybe he'd be enthusiastic about taking it if it were named "George Harrison's Wife."

• Great Idea 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for reminding us about the topic, but it is the Coffee house and a derailed thread is a good thread! 

I just found it hard to believe that those real bad ones at 2:20 were missed by everyone involved! I've been aware of them since the album came out because I bought it back then. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

George Harrison's Wife

Off topic, but this is the Coffee House, when George passed he still had Lucy (the red Les Paul Clapton played on While my Guitar Gently Weeps), Patty Boyd was long gone from Eric’s bed. Who got the better deal in that swap?

t

Keep testing guys, you will eventually score, mean while giving us ideas for the list.

19 hours ago, John Vere said:

Coffee house and a derailed thread

Is it possible to have a thread in the Coffee house that is not derailed?

• Like 1