Coming Feb 13th from Toontrack - Session Organ

cclarry

At first glance I’m not wild about an organ soundbank from Toontrack for EZKeys 2.  Because the soundbanks for EZKeys in general have never been the draw, instead the magic is the tool itself and the midi that we can put together.

I am, however, quite intrigued about midi packs specializing in organ phrases.  I might grab the organ soundbank because it may accentuate those midi packs.  Very interesting new addition to their line up!

• Like 5

@lawajava

21 hours ago, bitflipper said:

I listened to the clips and it sounds pretty good. Anybody can stack a bunch of oscillators and come up with a reasonable Hammond tone. So what I listen for is  the one thing everybody struggles to get right: the Leslie, its tonal coloration, distortion, stereo spread, doppler effect, speed changes and model types. This one seems to be doing a good job at those things, maybe even equal to IKM's Leslie

Well according to this fellow it "sounds pretty good"...

As I mentioned early in the thread I always thought/hoped that EZB3 would be a "unique" instrument with its own midi packs.
Lots of folks who can "play" piano, can't "play" the B3...

t

• Like 1

A quick test for those wanting to use export MIDI to use in IK Hammond B-3X

I selected MIDI in EZ Keys that used both upper and lower manuals. When the MIDI is dragged into Studio One two tracks are created, one for each manual. This can then be routed to the corresponding manuals in B3-X.

Both Leslie speed and expression CC 11 are transferred to the upper manual track.  Leslie speed is via the modulation controller and works well unless there is a Leslie break.  Brake is midway value on the modulation cc from Session Organ which B3-X does not recognise.  Theoretically you would need to manually insert CC93 value to brake the Leslie on BX-3 but I have not managed to make that work yet, probably user error.

I does not appear that any other continuous controller data is generated by EZ keys. There are preset keys in Session Organ (the black keys on the lowest octave) I have not tested if these are transferred in the MIDI but in any case to work properly it would need the drawbar presets to be setup identically in both instruments.

In conclusion the data from Session Organ will be usable in B3-X with some minor edits.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 2/5/2024 at 9:04 AM, lawajava said:

At first glance I’m not wild about an organ soundbank from Toontrack for EZKeys 2.  Because the soundbanks for EZKeys in general have never been the draw, instead the magic is the tool itself and the midi that we can put together.

I am, however, quite intrigued about midi packs specializing in organ phrases.  I might grab the organ soundbank because it may accentuate those midi packs.  Very interesting new addition to their line up!

Outside of that few realize Toontrack can be a money pit.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

can be a money pit.

Yes it can be. But I have gotten much use out of all the EZX/EKX/EBX and midi I have acquired. I can throw a song together pretty quick. Not something I would release, but definitely useful for practice and getting ideas together with others.

BTW, unless they come out with good stuff, I got everything I need now. And I got a lot... but not near everything.

On 2/15/2024 at 8:29 PM, Vernon Barnes said:

A quick test for those wanting to use export MIDI to use in IK Hammond B-3X

I selected MIDI in EZ Keys that used both upper and lower manuals. When the MIDI is dragged into Studio One two tracks are created, one for each manual. This can then be routed to the corresponding manuals in B3-X.

Both Leslie speed and expression CC 11 are transferred to the upper manual track.  Leslie speed is via the modulation controller and works well unless there is a Leslie break.  Brake is midway value on the modulation cc from Session Organ which B3-X does not recognise.  Theoretically you would need to manually insert CC93 value to brake the Leslie on BX-3 but I have not managed to make that work yet, probably user error.

I does not appear that any other continuous controller data is generated by EZ keys. There are preset keys in Session Organ (the black keys on the lowest octave) I have not tested if these are transferred in the MIDI but in any case to work properly it would need the drawbar presets to be setup identically in both instruments.

In conclusion the data from Session Organ will be usable in B3-X with some minor edits.

Further to this, automation of drawbars is possible in the grid editor in EZKeys. MIDI dragged out of EZKeys seems to correctly affect the drawbars in BX-3.

Other things can also be automated, I tried the scanner vibrato, but this requires manual assignment in BX-3.

• Thanks 1