Humble Bundle Corel Paint and More Bundle

cclarry

Wow, first it gets extended, and now it is back. It is a buck and change more than it was for BF, but still a good deal. Actually, they removed PSP from the 7 item bundle, so there is no reason not to get the full set now... you now get Painter and PSP for that extra $1.79 (was only for Painter previously).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I got this bundle when it rolled around, what was it, a month or two ago?

I've had some fun doodling with Painter and the Wacom tablet and messing about with Paint Shop Pro, but a caveat: Painter is, at least on my system a "save early and often" affair as regards stability. It crashes, and when it does it just vanishes, straight to the desktop.

As for Paint Shop Pro....I got really good at Paint.NET while I was doing Cakewalk themes, could really make it do what I wanted as a pixel editor. It of course has its drawbacks, like a much smaller collection of fancy filters and textures and so on than Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro. Since PSP is the more full-featured one, I'm currently in the learning stage of forcing myself to use it instead of my former go-to so that I become familiar enough with it to decide whether it will replace or augment Paint.NET. It's those odd little things that somehow end up being different in every pixel editor, like anti-aliasing, settings for the paint bucket tool, selections and how they transfer between layers, etc.

It's still too unfamiliar to make the call. Nice to have around for those cool special effects at least. One drawback so far is that it's one of those programs that really, really wants you to use it to organize your photos, which I may want it to do someday, and in the meantime don't pester me or act like it's the golden gateway to my digital images. I want my photo editor to open up in ready to rock mode, no froofy opening screens. But the program seems resistant to that, it wants to go back to its "simple" startup screen that asks me what I want to do today, that kind of hand-holdy crap. Fine, if you like that sort of thing, but I don't right now.

Whatever else, there's no way under the sun if you do graphic s on your computer that the two of them together aren't worth $30.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Painter is, at least on my system a "save early and often" affair as regards stability. It crashes, and when it does it just vanishes, straight to the desktop.

One thing to check/change with both of these programs is the number of Undo levels they are allowed. For both programs (actually ANY media program, even DAWs) the number of Undo levels can cause incredible RAM consumption for no good reason. Disabling/closing "Navigators" or shifting to a slimmer workspace will also prevent thumbnails being created and loaded into the apps.

Specific to Paint Shop Pro 2023, File->Preferences->General Program Preferences... the "Undo" at the top is where to check, and I set undo levels to 10 for pretty much all apps. The rest of that pop up is good to check just to see how things are tweaked. Another (rather major) issue with PSP 2023 is if you upgraded from a previous version, there are issues with sluggish behavior (especially while painting) caused by carrying preferences forward from 2022. This thread solved that one for me, but was a royal pain till I realized what it was.

In Painter, Edit->Preferences->Performance... is where to focus (in addition to the workspace). I give the app use of all but 2 threads (Core 0 is always Windows' workhorse anyway), 80% of RAM, and limit Undo to 10 again. The scratch drive is to an SSD, and the "Brush Accelerator" app is nice to see how the system performs from tweaks made on that page (and a GPU contributes a massive amount of performance to the app). I forget if I disabled auto-updates, but Painter had a patch recently and both programs have a Help->Check for Updates... feature.

All that said, the real irony from BF was Rebelle 7 Pro getting pre-released for $30 to anyone. It is still $30 off ($119), but that being $30 was an outright steal. It has already had 7 updates in 6 weeks, and the only feature in lacks over Painter is the cloning features for things I typically do. Some of the new features in Rebelle 7 Pro make Painter pale by comparison (plus the graphics engine is much smoother, even with the "nanopixel" setting enabled).

Edited by mettelus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Dang, that does look like a nice program.

Rebelle 7 pro is a wonderful program.. There are just a few things Rebelle can’t do, at least as far as I know, and that is that you can’t add text to a composition. 

Otherwise, Rebelle 7 has been a great investment for me. 

10 hours ago, mettelus said:

All that said, the real irony from BF was Rebelle 7 Pro getting pre-released for $30 to anyone. It is still $30 off ($119), but that being $30 was an outright steal. It has already had 7 updates in 6 weeks, and the only feature in lacks over Painter is the cloning features for things I typically do. Some of the new features in Rebelle 7 Pro make Painter pale by comparison (plus the graphics engine is much smoother, even with the "nanopixel" setting enabled).

I got both during the last sale.  The cloning and some of the auto brushing features made me grab Painter too otherwise Rebelle would have been fine and even preferable for me.  It certainly has a more generous authentication system that I appreciate.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

It looks like Rebelle has come up in Humble Bundles in the past....I'll snag it if it does again.

That's where I got it. It was bundled with Escape Motions' other titles too!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I have to wonder about the name of Rebelle (say it out loud).

Noun or Verb? When I saw the Rebelle, I was pronouncing it like the noun. I said it out loud and couldn't quite catch what you meant. Then I watched a YouTube video on Rebelle, and realized I was pronouncing it incorrectly.  Your statement now makes more sense to me.

Edited by Doug Rintoul

Rebelle sound more like a company that has been making modelling kits for as long as I can remember.

https://www.revell.de/en/home/

The maker of Word Perfect and other software sounds more like a line of ceramic glass kitchen products (among other product lines) by Corning.

https://www.corelle.com/

Hmmm.  Rebelle???  Sounds like they should be making plastic kitchen models (cooking ranges, refrigerators, etc.)-- ya know, like for doll houses, lego houses, etc.!  😜 

I never really gave much thought to the name (I like the name Rebelle too), but it is also a product versus the company (Escape Motions, try and figure that one out). Rebelle is a relative youngster (started in 2015), and was really focused on fluid flow and blending at first (watercolor) although they quickly expanded the media available. I know Humble Bundle ran the entire Escape Motions software suite with Rebelle v3 (where I first picked it up), but the only thing I found useful was Rebelle 3 and Flame Painter 3 (only came with 1/2 the particle brushes). The only two apps that have been updated since are Rebelle (now 7) and Flame Painter (went to 4 the very next year), but if that ever hits Humble Bundle again it is definitely something to consider. I suspect AI generation will probably be the next focus (Corel already has a 3rd-party plugin offering), but both Painter (with Particle Shop) and Rebelle (with Flame Painter) can go pretty much head to head in most areas. The only niggle I have with them as a whole (Rebelle<->Painter) is even though they will save in PSD format it is not consistent/reliable, so I only trust bouncing layers around between the two.

Hi,

I have heard of Humble Bundle for several years but this is the first time I have considered making a purchase.

I am primarily interested in the Painter License.

I am a little confused about the idea that you redeem the license on DRM-free when the Corel website says you need to use their online authorization.

Is this really 100% legit?

Also, did anyone get Painter? is it really a full version or some sort of lite promotional version?

Thank you! 

16 minutes ago, The Dispossessed Orangutan said:

Hi,

I have heard of Humble Bundle for several years but this is the first time I have considered making a purchase.

I am a little confused about the idea that you redeem the license on DRM-free when the Corel website says you need to use their online authorization.

Also, did anyone get Painter? is it really a full version or some sort of lite promotional version?

Thank you! 

They are full versions and it's no problem authorizing them...and it's 100 percent legit (and it's for charity)

1 hour ago, The Dispossessed Orangutan said:

Hi,

Thank you! 

It is legit but not DRM free, allows 2 installs at a time I think and done through Corel.    Full version.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kirean said:

When buying on Humble Bundle, be sure to "adjust donation", since Humble's cut can be really huge by default.

Yeah I usually do this some but since we have no idea what the biggest driver for these deals continuing it is hard to know how to best adjust it.  

• Like 1