activation

Just curious about CbB still requiring activation.    I activated it about 2-3 months ago.  Yesterday when I opened CbB, it said I needed to activate it again.   It would not let me play or record or do anything.  I've never had that happen before.   I thought activation was every 6 months.  And I thought they were no longer requiring activation after the last update, which I did.

Funny I opened Facebook yesterday and I belong to a half dozen Cakewalk/ Sonar groups. There was at least 6 posts about Activation and “Help we are all going to die” sort of thing.  
Then 90 % of the answers were wrong and basically it would seem very few people are in the loop. 

Please people get over it and get back to work recording and enjoy CbB as it is.
And which we have just been told by staff  AGAIN that there’s no plans to kill it with out plenty of warning. My guess as someone who has been following progress closely,  is this is still a LONG way off. 

Cakewalk by Bandlab is free and part of your user agreement you checked when you installed it was it will require activation from time to time.
There’s no actual time limit it was just randomly about 6 months. The difference is for the last few years it happened every time you installed an update. So most of us didn’t notice anything. There’s no update now so people are seeing the activation message possibly for the first time. 

What’s the big deal. Takes 10 seconds. You just need to be logged in to your account and it automatically will happen.
Go to the help menu if it doesn’t and do it from there. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 2

My post was clearly out of curiosity only.   I'm not making it a big deal.  I don't know who posted it a while back, but someone posted (either here or FB) that there would be one more update at the end of last year, which there was, and that no activation would be required after that.  I was just asking.  

1 hour ago, greg54 said:

My post was clearly out of curiosity only.   I'm not making it a big deal.  I don't know who posted it a while back, but someone posted (either here or FB) that there would be one more update at the end of last year, which there was, and that no activation would be required after that.  I was just asking.  

No one from Bandlab ever said that the last free version wouldn't require activation.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gustabo said:

No one from Bandlab ever said that the last free version wouldn't require activation.

OK.   But I did read it.  Not sure why I'm being met with hostility about this.   

The activation toast appeared and automatically opened the browser login page. All I had to do was log in.
FYI: Nothing happened when I clicked on the notification toast.

This time it seems to have expired after about 3 months instead of 6 months. Maybe something changed on the back end.

One thing is completely different with this last version: Regrettably you cannot do offline re-activation!

For this reason I'll stick with version 2022.11 as long as it runs and if then the offline activation is not available, I'll jump back to Sonar Platinum!

2 hours ago, Sistine said:

For this reason I'll stick with version 2022.11 as long as it runs and if then the offline activation is not available, I'll jump back to Sonar Platinum!

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that a new activation server was started at the time 2023.09 was issued and the old server shut down. Version 2022.11 only knows about the old server, so it may be impossible for it to re-activate. That's one main reason why Bandlab told everyone to update to 2023.09, as it is the only version that is aware of the new activation server. I suppose it is possible that they haven't shut down the old server, but if so, it's just a matter of time before they do.

When @Sistine gets the activation notification they will have to either install the latest version or abandon Cakewalk.  This was made very clear to us. You are on borrowed time. 

Retuning to Sonar is a better option than learning a new DAW but it’s on thin ice too. It requires that Command Center can be accessed to install. You still need to be on line.  It’s offline system is long gone.  

Staff have said that for sure off line activation for Cakewalk would be reinstated but it was a very low priority as it only matters to a handful of people.  

And I would guess that once Sonar is up and running there will obviously be a new Command Center type product manager where they will hopefully transfer over our legacy products. But they are legally not obligated to do that. There will definitely be a change to how things work. 

Edited by John Vere

With the CbB current 2023.09 installed many times it is launched for the 1st time after booting up Windows it pops up a toast that says it is "Not Activated” contrary to which I believe it should be, I then have to immediately shut CbB down & relaunch, which then pops up the activated notice and is good for the rest of the windows session...

The “Not Activated" toast doesn't occur on every reboot, but despite that, on a subsequent launch of CbB I'll see on occasion the now activated notice even though I was fully able to save projects?

On 10/3/2023 at 1:15 PM, Noel Borthwick said: “Pretty unlikely. Once the app is activated it doesn't retry until the lease expires which is quite long. Check whether you have some backup script or something that is restoring some state when you reboot. If so, that might explain why Cakewalk is not activated again after a boot.”

I don't have a backup script I'm aware of, or know what could restore state on a reboot? If either existed, wouldn't it have affected the previous version?  

The odd thing is when the toast popped up that says it is "Not Activated” I checked Help, and it shows that I'm signed into BandLab so I'm at a loss as to what's going on. 

It doesn't stop me from using CbB, but it is a bit annoying, and I hope nothing is else out of whack...

If it's not a bug,  any suggestions as to what’s going on would be helpful, thanks

Edited by Tez
  • Thanks 1