Why Don't Spitfire Consider Cakewalk a Major DAW

Mark Morgon-Shaw

Was filling in a survey and surprised to see Cakewalk not even mentioned in the survey list. Surely there must be a huge user base, I can't see a DAW like Bitwig having more users than Cakewalk.

Part of me thinks because it's been free for 5yrs it's been marginalised to the extent we are considered also-rans. I hope this changes when the new Sonar is released. My controller keybaord for example has presets for most DAWs except Cakewalk which is annoying.

image.thumb.png.841192e8ccb0d700a13013678c33fb1d.png

• Like 1

Afaik internet comparisons/reviews for Cakewalk were always positive.

Guess it's more lack of marketing than the product. 

If Billie Eilish,  Harry Styles,  Dre or Rabea would use Cakewalk.....you'd see it everywhere

(They'd be swearing maybe now/then about the midi writing/editing though)

Edited by Sheens
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

Was filling in a survey and surprised to see Cakewalk not even mentioned in the survey list. Surely there must be a huge user base, I can't see a DAW like Bitwig having more users than Cakewalk.

Part of me thinks because it's been free for 5yrs it's been marginalised to the extent we are considered also-rans. I hope this changes when the new Sonar is released. My controller keybaord for example has presets for most DAWs except Cakewalk which is annoying.

image.thumb.png.841192e8ccb0d700a13013678c33fb1d.png

At a glance, all these apps have a Mac version.

Seeing how relatively extensive the list is (it even includes the iPad versions of certain apps as separate entries), I'd say that they may be biased a little.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pwal said:

i was going to say similar - - they're all paid not free, but then gb is free with mac, maybe mac users are more likely to spend money on stuff?

On their computer at the very least - that I can personally confirm. ;) 

• Haha 3

My Problem is I still run win7Pro and am happy with it! I'm an old Sony Acid Pro user, and it took a lot for me to try FL and Cakewalk. I have grown to love CW and wish I didn't hit that UPDATE link!!! I don't mind paying 150-200 for something that will run stable on this machine... Or... if there's and actual 2020.01 download out there but, I'm not sure that's possible.

• Like 1

I'm on Windows 7 Pro and latest (free) Cakewalk runs fine here..

(I have Windows Update disabled, no virus software etc...those are the usual prob causers....my internet is Google...)

Probably in couple years Google internet might not work anymore...by then I take the computer offline and use it just for music.

Edited by Sheens
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sheens said:

I'm on Windows 7 Pro and latest (free) Cakewalk runs fine here..

(I have Windows Update disabled, no virus software etc...those are the usual prob causers....my internet is Google...)

Probably in couple years Google internet might not work anymore...by then I take the computer offline and use it just for music.

I saw that it was no longer activated and assumed the worse. I gotta get Blue Dream going, get my head on straight. I went on and logged in.... Done! Thanks for the confidence, tho. I need that after Steam ran out on me! lol

• Like 1

Yeah, these lists, it seems like there are always some DAW's left out. It doesn't signify anything to me other than that one person who made a list forgot about them when making it.

Some of the ones also missing from this survey: Samplitude, Waveform, Mixcraft, Mixbus, Music Maker, Nuendo, Cubasis (iPad), and BandLab (iPad, Android, browser). Mixbus, Waveform and Nuendo all have MacOS builds, too. MAGIX at one point were claiming that Music Maker was the most widely used DAW in Europe.

This comes up in "compatibility" lists as well. Someone's always left off the list, probably ones that the company's QA team doesn't specifically test with pre-release, but they usually also say "any VST-compatible host." If a plug-in chokes Cakewalk, report it to both companies and they'll usually work it out. And if they really test their products on that wide a range of hosts, chances are very good that it and Cakewalk will play nicely together.

Something that Cakewalk (as a subsidiary of BandLab Technologies) no longer has is a marketing dept. to stay in touch with other manufacturers and keep the product toward the front of their minds. Maybe some of the marketing people at other audio software companies are even stuck in "Cakewalk went out of business." but who knows how the product is generally viewed. Surely none of them follow the fortunes of Cakewalk/BandLab as closely as we do. I've not witnessed snobbery toward CbB (other than the "I switched to DAW X and never looked back" that all DAW's get) in plug-in companies' support forums.

• Like 1