Fragile

treesha

Greetings,

I was pondering feeling fragile or something like that at times especially some difficult times this year, and not liking that feeling so I made this song about those moments. Some is literal and some is a bit of my NY sarcasm and I made up a few new words (i think). I used Instacomposer 2 to mess with chords and phrases initially. I like it for ideas. I like that is has drums now. I used SI bass, d pro and kontact session horns, sampletank organ , addictive drums and cakewalk session drummer, new nation blaque guitar, vital for accents, the free Miroslav Philharmonik for stringy layer. Feedback welcome as I was working on this a long time and my judgements may be impaired from hearing it too much ! Thanks, Treesha

Lyrics

I don’t have it in me to go to war

Even when it’s knocking on my door

I’m too fragile for a fight

Go ahead and make my night

I’m too fragile to be strong

But still I drag myself along

I don’t want to be fragile

Who wants to be fragile

I don’t like being fragile

I’m too tough to be fragile

On top of everything I lost

Because of everything it cost

There is no refund coming back

Replacing everything I lack

I have a slight bit of fight

In my forlorn bit of worn

Used up let down

In a ghost town

It’s all fall down

Seriously flimsy

Too fragile to be strong

So delicate

A flower on the lawn

Don’t want to rise to the occasion

I need a nice long vacation

I’ve had enough of this fragile

It’s too tough being fragile

Breakably fragile

Bouncing around like a fun house clown

Un- nipotent Un- formidable

Difficulty delicate

I’m too fragile like a ghost on a cloud

I’m too fragile icicle in the sun

No port in the storm

I’m too fragile a whisper in the wind

• Like 7

19 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

This is really good, Treesha. The bouncy background contrasts with your vocal and lyrics in kind of an unsettling way and that's a good thing. Well, that's just how it struck me.  Nice job!
-Bjorn

Hi Treesha

I agree with Bjorn  - I really enjoyed this

Great job

Cool

Nigel

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

This is really good, Treesha. The bouncy background contrasts with your vocal and lyrics in kind of an unsettling way and that's a good thing. Well, that's just how it struck me.  Nice job!
-Bjorn

Hi Bjorn, Thanks for listening and for your feedback. I always appreciate insights into my ways of doing things that I don't really think about unless it is pointed out to me like you have. I think I liked the music and had things to say so put them together without thinking if they are a match for each other stylistically/mood whatever and am amused by realizing the contrast you pointed out. Thanks so much for taking the time to let me know! 

17 hours ago, Kevin Walsh said:

The mix is good, the lyrics are great. The song keeps my interest with the ever-changing structure. I like it!

Hi Kevin, thank you for listening and for your comment. Im glad to know the mix is good, and that you think the lyrics are great. They are a bit raw. I hadn't thought about the ever-changing structure as you put it and appreciate you pointing that out because I hadn't really thought much about the structure and now I will. Thanks for the feedback and letting me know you like it ! I appreciate your comment.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bajan Blue said:

Hi Treesha

I agree with Bjorn  - I really enjoyed this

Great job

Cool

Nigel

Hi Nigel, Thanks for listening and for the positive feedback ! cool, great job, enjoyable, I can't ask for anything more! I appreciate the encouraging words.

Treesha, you nailed this!  I like the song, the lyrics, and your vocal and instrumental performances.  It goes in unexpected places which really piques my interest.  After listening to this several times on different days, the mix has grown on me.  Having said that,  perhaps the vocals could be cleaned up a little by using a hi-pass filter to clear the lower midrange of your voice, though you could leave this alone, and who would be wiser?  Keep up the good work!!

• Thanks 1

Well .. I kinda like the melody and of course the wonderful lyrics so thanks for posting them.

For my ears I feel this mix is a little too thin in parts, but that may have  been your intention so as to feel the word fragile ...  danno.

Anyway love the message and good work 👍 and Ho  have a great Xmas

ATB

Steve 

Edited by Supa Reels
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, mark skinner said:

Great writing Treesha. I'm loving the delays that are coming thru on the outside of the mix. It's starting to remind me of a early protest song.         Fragile seems to come and go for a lot of us ..       Loved the ending ..     mark

Hi Mark,

Thank you for listening and your comment. The ending kinda whispered itself....I appreciate you sharing that fragile is not a unique feeling more of a shared human feeling from time to time. Nice to have company!  I sometimes half-shy away from posting a song like this one but always want technical/other feedback and often get wonderful encouraging comments like yours. As for the lovely delays, I used Sound Particles Energy Panner that I really love on the backing vocals bus and Valhalla Supermassive on the horn bus, Nectar added reverb on my lead vocals, but since you say outside the mix I'm guessing the energy panner.  Thanks again and happy holidays

PS I did want to add when I first started writing songs I first write about political, social, environmental issues so not surprising you are feeling some protest in here. I was inspired by reggae rather than the folk song type of protest songs as I have never really connected with folk music.

Edited by treesha
ps
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Lynn Wilson said:

Treesha, you nailed this!  I like the song, the lyrics, and your vocal and instrumental performances.  It goes in unexpected places which really piques my interest.  After listening to this several times on different days, the mix has grown on me.  Having said that,  perhaps the vocals could be cleaned up a little by using a hi-pass filter to clear the lower midrange of your voice, though you could leave this alone, and who would be wiser?  Keep up the good work!!

Hi Lynn, thanks so much for listening and your feedback. And that you listened several times on different days, that's very much appreciated!  I know I would feel differently about it on different days myself. I do struggle the most with my vocals every time and spend a lot of time on them. Between getting older, pollen allergies and very frequent wildfire smoke here in AZ my goal is to sing best I can and not hate it! So out of curiosity, I just looked at how nectar vocal assistant had eq'd the lead vocal. There are 2- EQ1 and EQ2 and 120 300 340 and 740 are all reduced a bit. I also used Hornet thirtyoneMK2 on a quite low volume lead vocal track and that took out all below 63 and then some reductions at every band up to 800. So I think you make a good point about my voice and I will definitely be mindful of this next time.  I'm glad to know you found unexpected moments of interest. Thanks again and happy holidays

2 hours ago, Supa Reels said:

Well .. I kinda like the melody and of course the wonderful lyrics so thanks for posting them.

For my ears I feel this mix is a little too thin in parts, but that may have  been your intention so as to feel the word fragile ...  danno.

Anyway love the message and good work 👍 and Ho  have a great Xmas

ATB

Steve 

Hi Steve, thanks for listening and your comment. Thanks for appreciating the lyrics, it's one of those songs that I wonder if I should really post so it's great to know you think they are wonderful ! I don't think I sing very melodically by nature and really don't even think of myself of a singer at all ha. Hmmm, what a great idea to make a mix too thin to feel it along with the fragile theme, but the only place I wanted to be thin was the very ending phrase with the wind.  Thanks for the thumbs up good work feedback too,  very encouraging. HO  and happy holidays back at ya !

• Like 1

Hello Treesha! How have you been? I hear you are feeling a bit fragile? Don't you worry about that. You have a lot of friends here. I got to say you are getting better at this music thing. Aside of all the instruments you used in this project, the one you used the best was your heart. That one came through loud and clear-No remix required. Yeah, I can relate to the song and the statement you made concerning judgement issue after listening to a song too much. I hate when that happens to me, and that is why I post here. Its always nice the have a bunch of fresh ears to clear the fog. There is one spot I want you to have a look at. It happens at  1:15. Sounds like you missed a beat. No big thing and an easy fix, I imagine. But, everything else sounded great, and as I said your work is improving a great deal and the song writing is, well, look at the comments. Like me, seems everyone likes this too. 

So glad I was able to catch up with you and enjoy this. Loved it! Merry Xmas! 

Edited by FreeEarCandy
  • Thanks 1

On 12/23/2023 at 4:17 PM, mark skinner said:

Songs from the heart are the ones you will always remember. Don't ever feel shy about posting "anything" you have feelings about.  @jack c. is an example of someone who keeps his heart on his sleeve and shares his real experiences and feelings with everyone.      ms

hi ms, thanks for the supportive message! I agree that @jack c. is very authentic and appreciate that about his songs. I might sometimes feel shy again in the future but with such kindness I will again overcome my reluctance! happy holidays

23 hours ago, FreeEarCandy said:

Hello Treesha! How have you been? I hear you are feeling a bit fragile? Don't you worry about that. You have a lot of friends here. I got to say you are getting better at this music thing. Aside of all the instruments you used in this project, the one you used the best was your heart. That one came through loud and clear-No remix required. Yeah, I can relate to the song and the statement you made concerning judgement issue after listening to a song too much. I hate when that happens to me, and that is why I post here. Its always nice the have a bunch of fresh ears to clear the fog. There is one spot I want you to have a look at. It happens at  1:15. Sounds like you missed a beat. No big thing and an easy fix, I imagine. But, everything else sounded great, and as I said your work is improving a great deal and the song writing is, well, look at the comments. Like me, seems everyone likes this too. 

So glad I was able to catch up with you and enjoy this. Loved it! Merry Xmas! 

Hello FreeEarCandy ! Fortunately I feel a bit fragile only some of the time ha. I do feel support from the forum which is great! Thank you for your comment, and yes my heart is often involved in what I create and yes the most meaningful times. I will check 1:15 for a glitch and as you say I also do appreciate the fresh ears and post here to get clarity if I lost mine. I am always trying to learn new things and try new things, which is why songs can take me so long as I experiment and study. So glad for your catch up message and that you loved Fragile and hear positive evolution in my work! Happy holidays to you !

• Like 1

On 12/18/2023 at 8:54 PM, treesha said:

Greetings,

I was pondering feeling fragile or something like that at times especially some difficult times this year, and not liking that feeling so I made this song about those moments. Some is literal and some is a bit of my NY sarcasm and I made up a few new words (i think). I used Instacomposer 2 to mess with chords and phrases initially. I like it for ideas. I like that is has drums now. I used SI bass, d pro and kontact session horns, sampletank organ , addictive drums and cakewalk session drummer, new nation blaque guitar, vital for accents, the free Miroslav Philharmonik for stringy layer. Feedback welcome as I was working on this a long time and my judgements may be impaired from hearing it too much ! Thanks, Treesha

Lyrics

I don’t have it in me to go to war

Even when it’s knocking on my door

I’m too fragile for a fight

Go ahead and make my night

I’m too fragile to be strong

But still I drag myself along

I don’t want to be fragile

Who wants to be fragile

I don’t like being fragile

I’m too tough to be fragile

On top of everything I lost

Because of everything it cost

There is no refund coming back

Replacing everything I lack

I have a slight bit of fight

In my forlorn bit of worn

Used up let down

In a ghost town

It’s all fall down

Seriously flimsy

Too fragile to be strong

So delicate

A flower on the lawn

Don’t want to rise to the occasion

I need a nice long vacation

I’ve had enough of this fragile

It’s too tough being fragile

Breakably fragile

Bouncing around like a fun house clown

Un- nipotent Un- formidable

Difficulty delicate

I’m too fragile like a ghost on a cloud

I’m too fragile icicle in the sun

No port in the storm

I’m too fragile a whisper in the wind

Nice job Treesha. Well composed, performed, and mixed.

• Thanks 1