Looking to change my audio interface...

smallstonefan

Hi all,

I've been a longtime UAD fan and Apollo user. I currently have an Apollo x8 and two satellites (quad and octo). I just built a monster DAW only to find out that UAD - even though they use Thunderbolt 3 which is backwards compatible from Thunderbolt 4, doesn't actually work on Thunderbolt 4. Considering it's almost impossible to get a high end motherboard with TB3 - this is a REAL problem.

I have some expensive paperweights! While I like UAD products, their support has gone downhill (still waiting for someone to respond on this and I wrote them middle of last week). They have never done a good job with their Windows support and this is just one example. I've also invested in a lot of outboard gear for tracking - so the unison stuff isn't important to me.

I'm looking to replace my x8 with an RME UFX III and my satellites with UAD USB versions so I can still offload some processing to the DSP (even though the native versions make that less necessary). 

Just wondering if any of you have made a similar move? I'm new to RME as well and would love to hear experiences related to their interfaces.

My RME's were great. Just not the right amount of line outs vs. Apollo. Fortunately, my ASUS i9-10900K mobo uses an ASUS  addon TB3 card. The mobo is Win 11 compatible. So my Win 11 upgrade will be painless when I do it. Seems like I finally did something right.

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

58 minutes ago, Bapu said:

My RME's were great. Just not the right about of line outs vs. Apollo. Fortunately, my ASUS i9-10900K mobo uses an ASUS  addon TB3 card. The mobo is Win 11 compatible. So my Win 11 upgrade will be painless when I do it. Seems like I finally did something right.

Nice! It's frustrating to upgrade one thing only to find out that obsoletes another. I hear very good things about RME keeping their drivers updated and also keeping backwards compatibility. I just ordered it and I hope to have it hooked up and tested later this week...

• Great Idea 2

RME. Great products. The drivers are the envy of all audio interfaces. Rock solid. They just work. All the time.

I regret selling my Fireface 400 when I got my Apollo.

Like you I have a USB Satellite, and have added a Octo PCIe card along with it.

I am still eyeing RME products. There maybe one in my future.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/18/2023 at 10:33 AM, smallstonefan said:

Hi all,

I've been a longtime UAD fan and Apollo user. I currently have an Apollo x8 and two satellites (quad and octo). I just built a monster DAW only to find out that UAD - even though they use Thunderbolt 3 which is backwards compatible from Thunderbolt 4, doesn't actually work on Thunderbolt 4. Considering it's almost impossible to get a high end motherboard with TB3 - this is a REAL problem.

I have some expensive paperweights! While I like UAD products, their support has gone downhill (still waiting for someone to respond on this and I wrote them middle of last week). They have never done a good job with their Windows support and this is just one example. I've also invested in a lot of outboard gear for tracking - so the unison stuff isn't important to me.

I'm looking to replace my x8 with an RME UFX III and my satellites with UAD USB versions so I can still offload some processing to the DSP (even though the native versions make that less necessary). 

Just wondering if any of you have made a similar move? I'm new to RME as well and would love to hear experiences related to their interfaces.

I wonder if @Jim Roseberry has anything to say about TB3 interfaces under Win 11?

On 12/18/2023 at 12:33 PM, smallstonefan said:

Thunderbolt 3 which is backwards compatible from Thunderbolt 4, doesn't actually work on Thunderbolt 4. Considering it's almost impossible to get a high end motherboard with TB3 - this is a REAL problem.

I built my system knowing I'd add a Thunderboltex4 card to run the UAD stuff with Thunderbolt 3.  I could never get the UAD stuff to work perfectly so returned it.  Swapped out for Lynx Aurora and I'm rock solid on Win 11.

I have a rme ucx. I've lusted for other newer interfaces but have never bought one because I just never have a need for more than 24 tracks at 44.1 which is what I can do  locking an old Tascam to the spidf.

Honestly, I rarely need more than the 16 the ucx does. 

It was a surprisingly good purchase for me. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bapu said:

I wonder if @Jim Roseberry has anything to say about TB3 interfaces under Win 11?

FWIW, I've never encountered a scenario where I couldn't get a Thunderbolt-3 audio interface functioning with a Thunderbolt-4 controller.

The Apollo series requires certain BIOS tweaks.  If these aren't in-place... the Apollo won't work and/or you'll hear glitches in audio.

There's not much difference between Thunderbolt-3 and Thunderbolt-4.   

All current Thunderbolt audio interfaces are Thunderbolt-3.

There's little difference between Win10 and Win11.

Myself and many clients use Thunderbolt-3 audio interfaces under Win11 (and Win10).

I used an Apollo 8 and Satellite for a while (both connected via Thunderbolt).

I moved on for a couple of reasons:

• The Apollo's DI's imparted a "tubby" quality to the lower mids with DI guitars (using amp-sim plugins)
  • The Apollo's round-trip latency (even though it's Thunderbolt) is about the same as a good USB-2 audio interface

Basic function of the Apollo/Satellite was always solid.  I wanted to push the low RTL envelope... and that's not Apollo's forte'.

After the Apollo/Satellite, I migrated to using a combination of RME Fireface UFX+ and Presonus Quantum.

• UFX+ was used as the primary audio interface
  • Quantum was used when I wanted super low round-trip latency

I currently use an Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core as my main DAW's audio interface (connected via Thunderbolt-4).

Absolutely love it.  To me, it's the best of all facets.

• Can achieve sub 1ms round-trip latency (with a fast/well-configured machine)
  • Converters, DI's, Preamps sound better (to my ears) than the Apollo and UFX+
  • Rock-solid performance

For secondary machines, I use a Presonus Quantum (connected via Thunderbolt-4)

• Can achieve 1ms round-trip latency (96k using a 32-sample ASIO buffer size)
  • Converters, DI's, Preamps sound good for the cost
  • Rock-solid performance
Edited by Jim Roseberry

On 12/18/2023 at 10:33 AM, smallstonefan said:

Hi all,

12 minutes ago, Jim Roseberry said:

FWIW, I've never encountered a scenario where I couldn't get a Thunderbolt-3 audio interface functioning with a Thunderbolt-4 controller.

The Apollo series requires certain BIOS tweaks.  If these aren't in-place... the Apollo won't work and/or you'll hear glitches in audio.

@smallstonefan See Jim's partial reply I quoted.

So this got interesting. Turns out MSI had an error in their marketing stating that my motherboard had thunderbolt when it does not. Pair that with the usb c connectors and thunderbolt options in the bios and you get a week of headaches. 

still, I hooked up the RME UFX III and I like the converters over the Apollo. The bass is more defined as are details like reverb tails. I decided to keep the RME and sell the Apollo rather than rebuild with a new motherboard. I’m switching to a pair of Octo USB satellites for the UAD plugins. I might miss the dsp for auto tune on the Apollo but I’m hoping RME latency is as low as people say. 

Edited by smallstonefan
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Gswitz said:

@Jim Roseberry

https://craiganderton.org/transient-tamer-diy-project/

I use one of these cables when recording direct and I think it really helps. 

Just sharing to be friendly... not trying to hijack the thread. 

Last in-person GearFest at Sweetwater (prior to Covid), I was talking to Craig Anterton about this circuit.

It was in some of the newer Les Paul guitars... the "Modern" version I believe (which had DIP switches)

I really miss being about to meet/talk with folks like Craig, Roger Linn, etc.

GearFest was similar to NAMM... but a lot closer.

The All-Star concerts each night were also spectacular.

You could watch the likes of Steve Vai, Jordan Rudess, Steve Stevens, Adrian Belew, Dweezil Zappa, Andy Timmons, etc.

• Like 3