Is this the future of songwriting? AI?

Notes_Norton

The lyrics were disturbing to me. I wasn't going to say anything about that but, everyone else must have felt the way I did. 

The video in the link in the op has flashes of some weird stuff that pops in and out real quick. @30secs, and again 2:31, and again after that towards the end.

I have looked at others video reviews and none of them had those images in them, nor any mention of them. Just wondering who doctored the one in the link in the op. 

10 minutes ago, Grem said:

The lyrics were disturbing to me. I wasn't going to say anything about that but, everyone else must have felt the way I did. 

The video in the link in the op has flashes of some weird stuff that pops in and out real quick. @30secs, and again 2:31, and again after that towards the end.

I have looked at others video reviews and none of them had those images in them, nor any mention of them. Just wondering who doctored the one in the link in the op. 

Tyler Durden? 😁

4 minutes ago, craigb said:

Tyler Durden?

I never saw "Fight Club"

However, I know enough about it....

But  I didn't get that. 
 "Fight Club" is on my 'to watch list'. Has been on there for a very long time!! Wife will be at her moms this weekend. Looks like I will be getting something off that list soon.

2 hours ago, Grem said:

I never saw "Fight Club"

However, I know enough about it....

But  I didn't get that. 
 "Fight Club" is on my 'to watch list'. Has been on there for a very long time!! Wife will be at her moms this weekend. Looks like I will be getting something off that list soon.

Tyler worked in a theater and would splice in X-rated blips into the movies he would play.

Edited by craigb

People who listen to Bieber and Rihanna probably won't be able to tell the difference. Heck, it might actually turn out to be an improvement.

Me I'm glad I have endless supplies of "new" old music to discover, stuff that I was too dumb to "get" earlier in my life. This way I do not depend on contemporary releases. Right now, I'm still right in the early days of the Gabriel/Hackett era Genesis - in my world, Selling England By The Pound has yet to be released, so I have that and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway to look forward to. It's a very exciting time.

Heck, maybe someday I'll "get" Yes.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Rain said:

Heck, maybe someday I'll "get" Yes.

Miracles can happen :-)

I've never been a big Yes fan (apart from 90125) but I do find it's good background music when working late at night - I don't feel the need to really listen to it in anger, but it's engaging enough to have playing.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2023 at 11:32 AM, Notes_Norton said:

And like the early CGI images in movies, it'll get better.

I don't think so, at least not in the next 20 years. One of the biggest pitfalls of using AI for generating image sequences is that the algorithm doesn't understand the image sequence you're generating has to be consistent because it's a composition. Which is why you have those weird interpolation and shifting issues with the video. The amount of doctoring necessary to make AI generated stuff passable is so much more work and with multiple people with different skill sets. An example of that was that infamous Corridor Crew video with a clickbait title they changed later (most likely due to heavy criticism) which took them six months in total to create a 4 minute animation which looks like bad rotoscoping. In that time period, they had to train at least two new algos to give them the closest output to what they wanted and had to manually doctor and tweak all generated frames in post or run it through a separate AI which did just that.

2 hours ago, Xoo said:

Miracles can happen 🙂

I've never been a big Yes fan (apart from 90125) but I do find it's good background music when working late at night - I don't feel the need to really listen to it in anger, but it's engaging enough to have playing.

That's one thing I never managed to do. I remember when I started working for that company in the 2000's and my colleagues were telling how cool things were there because they were allowed to listen to music (using headphones, obviously) while working.

For me unless it's something like a string quartet or a piano concerto, and what I'm doing something is essentially just copying and pasting, I just can't. And most definitely, anything with vocals is right out. 

Heck, I can't even listen to music when I'm eating. A movie or a TV show's just fine, but music completely pulls me in, and my brain's trying to understand and figure out parts, and I get all kinds of visuals, especially if there's guitar, it's like I see the parts being played.

The only exception would be when I'm doing chores around the house, but even then, I tend to drift off and forget what I was doing. Same in the gym.

Edited by Rain

15 minutes ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

I don't think so, at least not in the next 20 years. One of the biggest pitfalls of using AI for generating image sequences is that the algorithm doesn't understand the image sequence you're generating has to be consistent because it's a composition. Which is why you have those weird interpolation and shifting issues with the video. The amount of doctoring necessary to make AI generated stuff passable is so much more work and with multiple people with different skill sets. An example of that was that infamous Corridor Crew video with a clickbait title they changed later (most likely due to heavy criticism) which took them six months in total to create a 4 minute animation which looks like bad rotoscoping. In that time period, they had to train at least two new algos to give them the closest output to what they wanted and had to manually doctor and tweak all generated frames in post or run it through a separate AI which did just that.

i expect that it will happen sooner rather than later, certainly sooner than 20 years, considering how quickly its happened so far, and don;t forget the research/development that's happening that's not public yet

1 hour ago, Rain said:

For me unless it's something like a string quartet or a piano concerto, and what I'm doing something is essentially just copying and pasting, I just can't. And most definitely, anything with vocals is right out. 

Most of my work involves making music. Learning new songs, making the backing tracks for my duo, making aftermarket style/song software for Band-in-a-Box and gigging.

If I'm doing something else that I have to concentrate on, background music is out. Even if it's boring and instrumental. Music just catches my brain and will distract me.

If I don't like the music, I'll try to analyze what is wrong with it and how I would try to 'fix' it.

I've missed important dialog in movies because something interesting was happening with the background music.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

If I'm doing something else that I have to concentrate on, background music is out. Even if it's boring and instrumental. Music just catches my brain and will distract me

me too, i can't read with music on, i'm either focussing on the words OR the music