Is this the future of songwriting? AI?

Notes_Norton

4 hours ago, Rain said:

That's one thing I never managed to do. I remember when I started working for that company in the 2000's and my colleagues were telling how cool things were there because they were allowed to listen to music (using headphones, obviously) while working.

For me unless it's something like a string quartet or a piano concerto, and what I'm doing something is essentially just copying and pasting, I just can't. And most definitely, anything with vocals is right out. 

Heck, I can't even listen to music when I'm eating. A movie or a TV show's just fine, but music completely pulls me in, and my brain's trying to understand and figure out parts, and I get all kinds of visuals, especially if there's guitar, it's like I see the parts being played.

The only exception would be when I'm doing chores around the house, but even then, I tend to drift off and forget what I was doing. Same in the gym.

I'm a bit of the opposite.  Instead of using pharmaceuticals to make my ADHD tolerable to everyone around me (while causing me to be zoned out) I was introduced to computers when I was 7 by a very wise school principal.   This has helped me be able to do several things at once productively and it's actually far more difficult for me to get into "the zone" unless multiple things are going on around me.  I don't miss much either!  Besides making me very good in games (especially video games), this is part of what had me approved to go to the Naval Academy in Annapolis to fly F-14's.  Fortunately, I grew too tall (6' 2" is the maximum, but someone really short, like Tom Cruise size, is the best).  I'm 6' 4".  Ironically, I ended up working for a defense contractor right across the street from the Miramar Naval Air Base where and when they were filming Top Gun.  That said, indiscriminately killing people from thousands of feet in the air would definitely be against my current life views!  Heck, I've got cups and cards stationed around the house to capture bugs and release them outdoors (mosquitos do NOT get this favor! 🤬).

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, craigb said:

I'm a bit of the opposite.  Instead of using pharmaceuticals to make my ADHD tolerable to everyone around me (while causing me to be zoned out) I was introduced to computers when I was 7 by a very wise school principal.   This has helped me be able to do several things at once productively and it's actually far more difficult for me to get into "the zone" unless multiple things are going on around me.  I don't miss much either!  Besides making me very good in games (especially video games), this is part of what had me approved to go to the Naval Academy in Annapolis to fly F-14's.  Fortunately, I grew too tall (6' 2" is the maximum, but someone really short, like Tom Cruise size, is the best).  I'm 6' 4".  Ironically, I ended up working for a defense contractor right across the street from the Miramar Naval Air Base where and when they were filming Top Gun.  That said, indiscriminately killing people from thousands of feet in the air would definitely be against my current life views!  Heck, I've got cups and cards stationed around the house to capture bugs and release them outdoors (mosquitos do NOT get this favor! 🤬).

That sounds like a brilliant strategy on the part of the principal. Too bad there aren't more people like him.

And indeed, we are quite the opposite. I have attention surplus disorder. And my childhood reinforced that trait.

I grew up a solitary kid, spending most of my youth with my grandparents. There weren't many kids in that neighborhood, which is a good thing because I couldn't stand kids (expect girls - I had a very deep interest in the opposite *****, whether they were my age or whether it was their mother or even grandmother). Little boys were too noisy and hyper for my taste. And they weren't attractive, so, who cares... lol

The main attractions in our small neighborhood were a church, 2 funeral homes, a convent, and the cemetery, across the street, a mere 75 ft from our doorstep. And my grandparents' house totally belonged in that type of environment, what with my über Catholic grandmother, and her taste when it came to decoration - dark wood, tapestries, velour, red and gold, and all. We used to listen to the obituaries on the radio twice a day - that's where I got acquainted with Bach because the theme song was Air on a G string.

I liked drawing, painting, reading, writing, listening to music, and that kind of stuff. I remember spending hours sitting in the stairs staring at a painting of Piazza San Marco that hung above, and getting lost in there, and trying to reproduce it on a piece of paper with my pencils. If I was forced out of the house, I'd hang out in the cemetery. So I guess this type of environment reinforced a tendency to let myself be completely absorbed into one thing. I could spend hours on my bed staring at the ceiling and never get bored.

My other favorite places were the Church and the retirement home where we visited my great-grandmother every Wednesday. I was fascinated by the fact that she had everything she needed in that one room - a tv, a radio, a bed, a rocking chair, and books - and even her own bathroom! And people were bringing her meal. She never had to go out.

And it was quiet.

I thought this had to be the greatest place to be, after the cemetery. 

Surprising that I would become such a shut in, uh?

Edited by Rain
  • Like 3