Just $10 for Ultra-Realistic Legato Flute w/ 63 Deep Articulations in Soundpaint

cclarry

• cclarry changed the title to Just $10 for Ultra-Realistic Legato Flute w/ 63 Deep Articulations in Soundpaint
4 hours ago, Milan said:

This is Soundpaint, so I don't think it requires Kontakt.

As for the library, it's very reasonably priced but 21GB of disk space is tough.

That's right. SoundPaint is a sampler plugin that plays libraries made for SoundPaint as well imports your own samples. Like 8Dio libraries,  SoundPaint libraries are highly detailed, consequently,  the file sizes can be pretty substantial. Unlike 8Dio and just about every other developer, SoundPaint libraries never go on sale. Their regular prices are really cheap, that's part of the concept, to have razor thin profit margins so everyday prices are really low. I'll share that the poll I did the other week was related to SoundPaint (it was completely done on my own, related to some recommendations I wanted to make). 

I've been using SoundPaint for 2 years, and was recently been called in for advice from the developer. I'm a huge KONTAKT user. Just about every project of mine uses KONTAKT.  What I find SoundPaint excels at is the quality of the effects -- they're far better than those in KONTAKT, the ease of use to delve into editing and programming and make your own presets for SoundPaint is superior to any other sampler Ive used. I've had a KONTAKT developer friend explain to me why the 127 velocity layers is such a big deal,  which candidly,  I never fully understood until he explained it to me. SoundPaint is the first sampler where I've created my own presets from scratch that go really deep and it's super easy and actually a lot of fun to experiment with. Two KONTAKT developers I know compared SoundPaint to Omnisphere, which I don't use, but clearly,  these developers like a lot. Quoting one of them, "It's like a next-generation version of Omnisphere," that's from a very well-respected KONTAKT developer well known in this forum. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, TravEllerZero said:

I believe the standard price for the flute is $20, but emails were sent out with codes to make it $10 for a limited time. Not sure if the codes are generic or personalized.

Must be generic- I got the email (I assume) because I already owned the flute (and the tenor sax) from 8DIO and it was referred to as a crossgrade.  I already had the Soundpaint sax and it is very good, so I took the flute for a tenner without hesitation.  The libraries are huge, but if drive space is a concern, you can delete a bunch of articulations that you probably will never use (63 for the flute and 72 for the sax). 

1 hour ago, Brian Lawler said:

Must be generic- I got the email (I assume) because I already owned the flute (and the tenor sax) from 8DIO and it was referred to as a crossgrade.  I already had the Soundpaint sax and it is very good, so I took the flute for a tenner without hesitation.  The libraries are huge, but if drive space is a concern, you can delete a bunch of articulations that you probably will never use (63 for the flute and 72 for the sax). 

I don't own either the flute or the tenor sax but I received the offers anyway. I took the flute for a tenner.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

I don't own either the flute or the tenor sax but I received the offers anyway. I took the flute for a tenner.

Yep- I just caught up with some KVR threads where a lot of people who owned neither had also received the email.  They were lamenting that this the demise of Soundpaint's "Never go on sale" policy.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Brian Lawler said:

Yep- I just caught up with some KVR threads where a lot of people who owned neither had also received the email.  They were lamenting that this the demise of Soundpaint's "Never go on sale" policy.

Must visit KVR ! People are actually unhappy to get 10 bucks knocked off?  From the dev's POV, it's a customer loyalty reward. But it's no surprise that a lot of people will consider it a sale.

When they price things that low, all it takes is some re-downloads for a profit to be erased. This is what's behind the war that's taken place on this developer, for anyone wondering why -- the concern that it's going to be very difficult for a small developer who only sells in small numbers to compete with a developer selling higher quantities for a lot less. That this kind of pricing resets buyer's expectations. 

It's the same concern small plugin effects developers had when Waves started their always on $29/39 USD sales. Hopefully, I won't get in trouble for saying this, but my take -- and why I did the poll here -- was to make the case to charge a little more and do small percentage sales to get people talking about your brand regularly. It's especially noticeable around Black Friday when everyone's choosing to buy the sales stuff over stuff they can buy at the same price all year. 99% of what people to start threads in forums and social media in this business are sales and freebies. If you want to keep your name out there regularly, you should be seriously looking at doing both. Freebies give people a no-risk taste of a developer's work. But sales create a sense of urgency with a time limitation and FOMO. It's also fun (unless you're broke; then I've created to curated lists for you). Yes, these are very simple observations when you lay them out logically. There are a lot of other factors, but the basics can be pretty simple. But when you sell a pro library created in a quality studio with serious engineers, and it's a 21.47 GB library that you're selling for 10 or 20 bucks, it's a lot more challenging to make a profit. Some competitors are pretty uncomfortable that this is the game changer, the disruption that will result in sample users no longer accepting paying high costs for similar sample libraries. I totally get that concern. But, unless your ethics are based on organized crime, your response should be a competitive response -- you give consumers reasons to pay more for your product, you lower your prices, etc. That's the ethical approach to business strategy. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

52 minutes ago, Brian Lawler said:

@Brian Lawler I used to spend a lot of time at KVR, it was my favorite forum for a long time but could get toxic at times. So I switched to this one. I couldn't find any of the threads. Would you mind sharing a link? I'm super curious and might forward it over to  Tawnia (8Dio's CEO).  Thanks. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

@Brian Lawler I used to spend a lot of time at KVR, it was my favorite forum for a long time but could get toxic at times. So I switched to this one. I couldn't find any of the threads. Would you mind sharing a link? I'm super curious and might forward it over to  Tawnia (8Dio's CEO).  Thanks. 

Maybe share that I had sworn off spending another dime on anything related to 8dio and picked this up in spite of the obscene disk size.
Still need to find disk space for it (and a couple of BF purchases) but hell froze over long enough for the Paypal payment to clear. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

MY MISTAKE- It was on VI. I will send you a PM.  This is far and away forum numero uno, but I usually check KVR and VI too, especially some narrow interest topics that trolls don't bother with.

Edited by Brian Lawler
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TheSteven said:

Maybe share that I had sworn off spending another dime on anything related to 8dio and picked this up in spite of the obscene disk size.
Still need to find disk space for it (and a couple of BF purchases) but hell froze over long enough for the Paypal payment to clear. 

Ha! I have no disk space for any of the libraries I bought for Black Friday. I don't even know where I put the additional SSD that I need to install to install those libraries! However, I felt better about buying some IK libraries knowing that I'm not time-limited on installing them. Well, as I've publicly shared I'm advising those folks, I'd love to get your feedback once you've tried it -- send me a PM. Like I posted, I've been using SoundPaint for a couple of years, I have ended up buying a bunch of SP libraries that duplicate what I already own in KONTAKT and SampleTank formats (FTR, I started doing that long before I got to know Tawnia; I would guess that I own a total of 50 8Dio and SoundPaint libraries; so I do have this habit of saying to Tawnia -- this is just my perspective as a customer, every so often).  I especially love using SoundPaint for anything I can layer, get creative with, do arpeggios and create my own presets. The flute sounds really good and I'm going to pick it up, but I don't really have much use for flutes (that said, my daughter plays the flute -- so I have much love for the instrument). But taking their piano, strings, electric piano and keyboard libraries and playing with effects is a blast. I bought their Rhodes library earlier this year even though I have more Rhodes libraries than I need, simply because I can do things with SoundPaint that I don't know how to do and you can't technically do in KONTAKT.  I'm personally, eager for them to bring in more string libraries, including the 8Dio string libraries I have in KONTAKT. It's cool to be able to put effects and go into sound design territory within a sampler instead of outside effects, as you can just save the preset and use it again later. It's been significant for me. 

9 minutes ago, e-cue said:

7bALBZ.gif

Okay, I love Key and Peele, but I have no idea what that meme means, which makes me feel old! Help me out.  I used to think I was clever at one point. I no longer feel that way today with this meme. I promise, once you explain it, I'll start using it too! ;)