I've spent more time hunting down plugins than I do making new songs...

El Diablo

"I've spent more time hunting down plugins than I do making new songs..."

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

Have you ever felt like that?

Yes, and then I remember a strategy I learned in school related to poets choosing a specific form to use for different poems:  Pick one and see what you can do with it.

+1, why discipline in the Deals forum helps (good luck with that). Eventually there will come a time when you realize how few FX are really required to produce, then realize you have multiple FX that do the same things. Once focus shifts to production, you will gravitate to certain ones that you will learn in and out, then begin only looking for things to fill gaps you have.

• Great Idea 1

I remember when I started  to buy plugins about 2 years ago. I said to myself: "you need to  buy only the essentials ". 

Here I am, having almost all plugins from PA, IKM, Arturia, UAD, iZotope, NI Komplete etc... and 3 DAWs. I have to say that they where all good deals !

The funny thing is that I don't have the essential hardware for music production yet.  I  don't have a PC, audio interface, midi controller and headphones.   

Now it's time to buy the hardware essentials I guess.

🤪

Edited by psionx
  • Great Idea 2

3 hours ago, psionx said:

I remember when I started 2 years ago. I said to myself: "you need to  buy only the essentials ". 

Here I am having almost all plugins from PA, IKM, Arturia, UAD, iZotope, NI Komplete etc... and 3 DAWs. I have to say that they where all good deals !

The funny thing is that I don't have the the essential hardware for music production yet.  I  don't have a PC, sound interface, midi controller and headphones.   

Now it's time to buy the hardware essentials I guess.

🤪

It's called G.A.S.  (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)

We've all had it!

I've always made due with stock plugins and freeware. I did eventually get in to purchasing plugins as more advanced functionality became available to the general public at a more affordable price.

To be brutally honest, some of the best recordings I've ever made were on 4 and 8 track tape with nothing but mic placement and EQ.

All that said, I am by no stretch of the imagination a pro or even an advanced hobbyist. So take what I say with a grain of salt.

On 12/2/2023 at 6:21 AM, audioschmaudio said:

I spend too much time testing synth presets

I agree.  I've done that too.  Once you get your desired plugin... Now you've gotta spend hours trying to find the perfect preset.  😒

After finding that preset, your so exhausted, you'll go back to searching for a new plugin again 🤣

• Like 1