Reticent Blues

Glenn Stanton

final 4th round mix. updated some instruments (drums and solo), lyrics and vocals. 

-----------------------------------------
Lyrics
-----------------------------------------

was i reticent
was i hesitant
not at all
was i innocent
were there elephants
not so sure
was i melancholy
wasn't satisfied
not at all
when the music played
we would dance
to a separate song

wasn't reticent
didn't hesitate
maybe innocent
'cause those elephants
hide in sight
never was right
thus cause grief
when all is belief
to be real
now you cryin'
'cause you lyin'
now you know
the feel is real

was i reticent
was i hesitant
not at all
was i innocent
were there elephants
not so sure
was i melancholy
wasn't satisfied
not at all
then the music stopped
we would cry
go our separate ways

was i innocent
were there elephants
not so sure
then the music stopped
we would cry
go our separate ways

Edited by Glenn Stanton
added lyrics
  • Like 3

Love it. I love your music. Idea...Have you ever tried replacing those synth strings with organs? I think they would fulfill the function of gluing the arrangement while sounding more natural.  It's just a thought though. I think the arrangement is ready so you can tame the harsh spots you notice in the mastering. Great job

• Like 1

On 11/18/2023 at 7:15 PM, Miguel Carzola said:

Love it. I love your music. Idea...Have you ever tried replacing those synth strings with organs? I think they would fulfill the function of gluing the arrangement while sounding more natural.  It's just a thought though. I think the arrangement is ready so you can tame the harsh spots you notice in the mastering. Great job

yeah some songs i pad using an B3/C3 organ VI, some i use the strings.

one problem i'm trying to solve - a good cello VI which isn't loaded with the bow scraping etc. yes, a realistic cello with proper set of articulations, but most of them i've demo'd have very loud scraping, whereas when a friend plays her cello (and maybe it's her skills as a trained first chair) the bow sounds are much much less a  part of the sound - maybe it's simply the way they capture the sound or enhanced to make it more "real". but that is one pursuit i'm working on...

20 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

So are those synthesized voices?  I think you were dabbling in Synthesizer V a while ago.

yes. i'm getting them to "sing" better and better each time. mostly because instead of "micro managing", i let them do their thing and only tweak on parts that need it (phonomes etc) and then use the AI takes (emotive, dynamics, pitch) to see if there are better "performances".  so using this process: note length, timing, and approximate pitches, next melody assignment, some tweaking of timing and other bits, and finally any takes to see if there are improvements to be had. not much (imho) of training a singer to take on a new song they have not heard before and no reference track per se. so it's kind of cool, and of course those voices are way better than mine...

9 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

those synth voices sound very good to me - i see a time very soon when you simply will not be able to tell the difference!!

if i spent more time with the envelopes that control aspects it would be much better. there are still some things i'd like to see - the addition of "growl" into the vocals. the parameters for them often have various options for intensity, but still not a definitive "roughness" that would be handy. also even the English libraries (mainly what i'm using) still require some phonomes tweaking or even wholly different words to get it right (for example, "melancholy" required me to use "melon collie" to get it close... 🙂 

Really enjoyed this one a lot, just sounded very pro all the way through, and there's some unexpectedly great guitar here . . . really like how you fit it in between the vocals.  Regardless of the AI aspects, the end result is a great listen . . . well written and conceived I think.

• Like 1

the interesting thing about the Synth V - if you imagine yourself as a producer training a singer - here are the notes and a reference track, then tweak to the "singers" voice, it is very like coaching someone on a song but letting them do their thing. in the vocal libraries i'm using, they're created from real singers so they're not really synthetic. the singers who provided their voices had to sing the "phonomes" which is what the engine uses to assemble the vocals. i'm actually impressed someone had the vocal chops to sing partial words and sustain sounds (for editing) (and like thousands of them) and in one of my libraries, in 3 wholly different languages...

Edited by Glenn Stanton