One more way that YouBoob sucks!

craigb

13 minutes ago, Shane_B. said:

I also have XM. I get it for $7 a month.

You talking about Sirius XM (satellite radio )?

I pay about $40 for three months. I been thinking about dropping it but sometimes I have long drives for my job. Going to call now and threaten to cancel.

• Like 1

This whole subject is so painfully amusing!  Who has the best free stuff..?  Why isn't it free any more??  Sounds like grumbling from Yosemite Sam (oops, I may have used a copyrighted reference...). 😬

I figured long ago that the majority of public entertainment, and now "access" to it via Internet, is all mainly bait & switch. Starts seemingly free, but gets you hooked, but eventually the anvil will fall, and we will pay somehow.

I've always disliked most media advertising, starting for me in youth with TV commercials. Eventually I wanted to work in entertainment and media, and it took me a while to figure out how to get paid from that. Hmm. Also, in the 90's I shared some early Web material from my own server & connection. It slowly got taxing, in too many ways to want to bother with. Hmm again. -But I know, we all just want to watch, listen, to what we want for free. Yet really, would you just let any stranger come by and borrow your tapes, CDs, movies, any time they wanted, use them however they wanted, and so on? Have them ask you to play them some tunes they like whenever it suits them... For free? (Not including family and prospective partners - of course!) 😅

So we were optimistic about things like YouTube, -yes, it's the endless cycle of modern life I guess.  Hmm. Maybe I should have taken note, and tried to go more the way of a roadrunner, and stayed farther away from the wily coyote types (metaphorically speaking) in life...  Dag Namit!

Yeah, well TV and radio commercials and print ads aren't so intrusive. They are passive and they come on after several songs in a row or between acts during the show.

TV and radio commercials  and print ads don't interrupt in the middle of a song. TV and radio commercials don't interrupt in the middle of someone speaking.

TV and radio commercials and print ads don't pop up and cover what you are trying to watch or read . TV and radio commercials and print ads also don't spy on you; they don't follow you around or rely on the harvesting  of your personal information and sharing of it with God knows who.

Edited by Byron Dickens
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, craigb said:

Plus the original topic was how YouTube blocked my video due to an audio copyright, yet it has no audio! 🙄

That really takes the cake. lol

Fun times ahead with AI managing content.

I think I remember mentioning how Facebook automatically put me in time out for two days after I posted my cover of Ozzy's Su*c*de Solution. Because of that word.

Then there's that post I made using a picture I found on Google which was later used in an article that contained false information. My post was thereafter flagged and hidden, even if it had nothing to do with the article. And it seems that there's no way to even appeal. 

That's rather trivial, but imagine when something more important is involved. It's already a pain to deal with huge corporations as is...

Fun times ahead.

Edited by Rain
  • Like 3

I uploaded a video of me covering the lead to Hotel California. Just the lead. I set it to private before I even started uploading it. They immediately flagged it as soon as it was done uploading and wouldn't even let me watch it in private. I contacted them and said there were a dozen or more full covers of that song set to public and asked why my little snippet with no lyrics, set to private, was blocked. I never got a response but a few days later it was unblocked and monetized with 100% of "the royalties" going to the publisher. Looking back it really doesn't bother me that much but it was just frustrating as hell that I had to go through all that to share a little snippet of me playing guitar in private with a few friends and family. I could see if I set it to monetize and made it public, but it was set to private before it was even done uploading. Oh well.

That implies, for example that if anyone ever found out what we do on our DAWs in the privacy of our own home, we would be charged for it. Who knows, maybe that's next. Can you imagine one day we get a pop-up in the middle of recording that says "Copyrighted material has been detected by your DAW. Please click here to continue.". Then it locks the project and takes you to the publishers website where you have to pay royalties to continue. It's not so far fetched the way things are going. Heck, the gov just passed a law that fed controlled kill switches be in every new car starting in 2026, MIC of course. Nothing else would surprise me at this point.

I do understand they have to charge for their services. I have no problem with that. I think I mentioned that already? But the way it's handled and the amount they charge is not right by any stretch of the imagination.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, CoveCamper said:

You talking about Sirius XM (satellite radio )?

I pay about $40 for three months. I been thinking about dropping it but sometimes I have long drives for my job. Going to call now and threaten to cancel.

Yep, Sirius XM. I just checked and with taxes it's $8.48 a month. I can use it on the app on my TV, cell, laptop, and my trucks radio or I can use the app through my truck via android auto. Using the app guves you access to more channels.

I just got an advertisement from them the other day that said I could add a family member (2nd radio and app access) for $5 a month.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, craigb said:

Plus the original topic was how YouTube blocked my video due to an audio copyright, yet it has no audio!

Wait - we stay on topic in The Coffee House!   -My Bad!!  😬

-In my defense (should we lawyer up to comment?) - I wasn't ignoring the topic of errant censorship (that's my interpretation anyway 🤓) - it just occurs to me that the whole premise of these online services doing anything right for free seems to be forgotten in the first place. Not apologizing for any of those kind of business practices in any way though, but if you were paying for the posts, then it would really be the topper. -And I have seen a few folks report that happening, actually. And yes, with AI moderation I'll wager it's going to get even worse now.

But yeah, @craigb - maybe there was some "ghost data" in your post that triggered the flag... -Conspiracy theorists - jump in here! (Nah, probably just bad censoring algorithm usage).  -Definitely sucks! -Almost as bad as the way YT cuts off playback with ads, as @Byron Dickens mentioned. That really sucks IMHO, and seems to be getting worse.

17 hours ago, paulo said:

People pay for radio stations ?

Dont know if youre joking or not, lol, but Sirus XM has about 150 channels of music and talk radio commercial free. All randomly played.

YouTube on the other hand has the entire album catalog of a lot of artists. You can play the albums straight through or make a playlist or play things randomly. It's a little bit more than XM monthly, or less depending on what deal you can get from XM, but it's well worth it especially if you listen to a lot of music.

On 11/16/2023 at 10:01 PM, JnTuneTech said:

and tried to go more the way of a roadrunner, and stayed farther away from the wily coyote types

I think it's the dang wabbit you really wanna look out for!!

On 11/16/2023 at 11:50 PM, Byron Dickens said:

Thread drift.

Yep. Lots of it!! LOL

On 11/16/2023 at 11:50 PM, Byron Dickens said:

Related: YouTube removed a video of mine for "hate speech." The video accompanied a wholly instrumental piece of music.

Wow!! Did you have a pic that went with it?

As for XM, yeah if your not getting the price you want, call and cancel. Have your wife do it with you in the background bitching about "we can't afford these outrages prices when the neighbors get it for $xx amount!!" Throw just a few expletives in there and continue on with the rant of "Honey hang that damn phone up before they talk you into something I don't want!!"

Even if you do hang up on them. They will call you back. Or send a email or snail mail with a better offer. Ga-run-tee!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

Dont know if youre joking or not, lol, but Sirus XM has about 150 channels of music and talk radio commercial free. All randomly played.

YouTube on the other hand has the entire album catalog of a lot of artists. You can play the albums straight through or make a playlist or play things randomly. It's a little bit more than XM monthly, or less depending on what deal you can get from XM, but it's well worth it especially if you listen to a lot of music.

No I'm really not. I had no idea that paid radio was even a thing. I never listen to a radio at home and I don't even know how many stations the DAB radio in the car has, other than a lot, because I've never really bothered with it. If it's on then it's on the local one and when that gets tiresome ( like in the whole of December) then I just go with a random selection from the HD if I'm not in the mood for listening to an album. 

2 minutes ago, paulo said:

No I'm really not. I had no idea that paid radio was even a thing. I never listen to a radio at home and I don't even know how many stations the DAB radio in the car has, other than a lot, because I've never really bothered with it. If it's on then it's on the local one and when that gets tiresome ( like in the whole of December) then I just go with a random selection from the HD if I'm not in the mood for listening to an album. 

Yepper. It's a thing. The difference with XM is, if you buy an XM radio, almost all cars come with them here in what used to be the U.S., they operate off satellite. If you use the app, it goes through the internet.

I think people like our group here would enjoy youtube far more. There is way more and you can pick and choose what you want to hear. Plus you get all the vids and movies too.

Or you can put up with the ads and it all for free on youtube as well.

Sorry we hijacked your thread @craigb. I know that never ever happens here and you would never do such a thing. 😁😜

2 hours ago, pwal said:

i do listen to a lot of music, but i don't want someone else, or an algorithm, deciding what that music is

This is me usually.  As someone who has almost 370,000 tracks to choose from, I make my own playlists!

That said, the few times I've been at a friend's place where she was using Pandora or Spotify, when it deviated from the "seed" (artist or specific song) I actually learned of a few more artists to check out!  In fact, the five I've been listening to lately have all come that way.  So, there IS a benefit occasionally! 🙂

• Like 1