Any tips for reducing mic hiss?

T Boog

Hi guys. I'm using a MXL v67 mic into an Audiobox USB96 interface. I know neither is great for self noise but the hiss is too excessive. So Ive been using a noise gate set low which kills the hum. However, when my singing trails off, the gate creates an annoying chattering effect.

I've tried other mics and I get the same hiss. I haven't tried another interface yet though.

Anyway, is this normal? Do u guys always have to use noise gates on ur mics or am I maybe just in need of a better interface?

Btw, it is running thru a properly grounded outlet so I don't think that's my issue. Thanks!

In my experience the MXL v67GS was an excessively noisy mic, only slightly better than the AT 2020, but then it isn't a C12 or u87 so...  but I can say that my old Audiobox 96 was reasonably quiet all it's life.

If you are using a hardware gate and it chatters when closing, there's something wrong with it. They should close very smoothly, especially if the release time is not too short.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OutrageProductions said:

They should close very smoothly, especially if the release time is not too short.

Thanks. I'm just using the Sonitus gate in Cakewalk. Tomorrow I'll try to adjust the release time and see if it helps stop the chattering.

If you are able to post a sample file without FX running it would be more helpful to understand your situation. Something with just 5 seconds of background noise followed by 10 seconds or so of a couple phrases would be ideal. If you are not comfortable sharing it publicly, you could send me a PM and I can take a look at it.

I have been working with someone using the AT2020 for narration, and a chunk of the issue was resolved with sound isolation, mic rotation, and how the mic was being used. A HPF before the Sonitus took care of a good deal of the hum and let the gate operate more smoothly. Specific to the Sonitus Gate, the threshold (input slider) shouldn't be too far above the noise level (and as far below the signal as is tolerable) during mic checks. The "Depth" then needs to be adjusted to prevent the chatter (it defaults to -inf, so will slam shut that way... her situation was around -25dB). The other default settings were close, but I think the Release got bumped up to around 400ms.

That said, every recording situation is unique, but the HPF, Input threshold, and Depth are where I would start.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, T Boog said:

Thanks. I'm just using the Sonitus gate in Cakewalk. Tomorrow I'll try to adjust the release time and see if it helps stop the chattering.

The 'Knee' ratio can affect that as well.

I run all solo vocals through a HW channel strip like my Manley Vox Box,  so I generally don't have issues later in the chain.

14 hours ago, T Boog said:

Hi guys. I'm using a MXL v67 mic into an Audiobox USB96 interface. I know neither is great for self noise but the hiss is too excessive. So Ive been using a noise gate set low which kills the hum. However, when my singing trails off, the gate creates an annoying chattering effect.

I've tried other mics and I get the same hiss. I haven't tried another interface yet though.

Anyway, is this normal? Do u guys always have to use noise gates on ur mics or am I maybe just in need of a better interface?

Btw, it is running thru a properly grounded outlet so I don't think that's my issue. Thanks!

Move the mic away from the fan noise coming from your computer and AC. 

8 hours ago, OutrageProductions said:

The 'Knee' ratio can affect that as well.

Unfortunately Sonitus Gate doesn't have any ratio control. I was sort of hoping that it was also an expander, but the Depth control on it seems to be more of a shelf with a step function gain reduction (why it can get flaky in use, especially with Depth set to -INF). I hadn't opened any Sonitus plugins in years, so the "free route only" was a nice challenge to that situation for me. There are some powerful freebies out there.

That said, the Sonitus Multiband does have the ratio per band (and a highly tailor-able knee), and is actually a rather good choice for addressing low end and teaching compressors to new folks at the same time (since it has the display on the right so folks can watch the audio hitting that knee). The "Low" band can often address a good portion of what the Gate is doing (depending on the noise profile).

Threads like this remind me of people wanting me to troubleshoot their car over the phone. Some things I just need to see/hear to address properly.

iZotope RX!  (Standard is fine.  You don't need the uber expensive Advanced edition.)  It will seem like an expensive way to solve a limited problem, but after you have it, you'll wonder how you did without it.

Gates can work too...but there's a lot of work involved in getting it dialed in right...and it doesn't deal with the veil of noise under the signal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Byron Dickens said:

Record it right in the first place and you don't have to fix it later.

This is why I sold all my LDC mikes. I use dynamic mikes because they are dead quiet. As well as they suit my vocal style. People seem to choose LDC because they see them in the big studios. I think in most cases they are a bad choice for a home studio environment. 

45 minutes ago, John Vere said:

This is why I sold all my LDC mikes. I use dynamic mikes because they are dead quiet. As well as they suit my vocal style. People seem to choose LDC because they see them in the big studios. I think in most cases they are a bad choice for a home studio environment. 

That's interesting John, I did the exact opposite as I could never get a good vocal recording using a dynamic mic (Shure SM58) - probably a combination of poor vocal/ mic technique and lack of experience with my chosen DAW.

However, since I switched to a LDC mic, I've achieved significantly better results. That said, it does pick up 'everything' so I just need to set up properly to eliminate any potential squeaks, rattles and clicks.

Andy

1 hour ago, AndyB01 said:

That's interesting John, I did the exact opposite as I could never get a good vocal recording using a dynamic mic (Shure SM58) - probably a combination of poor vocal/ mic technique and lack of experience with my chosen DAW.

However, since I switched to a LDC mic, I've achieved significantly better results. That said, it does pick up 'everything' so I just need to set up properly to eliminate any potential squeaks, rattles and clicks.

Andy

SM58 is fine for loud band live use, but there are much better dynamics if you are actually recording vocals.  LDC can be difficult to do at home on vocals unless you don't have anyone else home and live far away from people and animals.  

As for the OP, in these less than ideal conditions noise reduction software is quite helpful.  Acon Digital, (hate to say it - Waves Clarity VX - if on vocals), Izotope RX Elements, and the to be released this month Goyo Separator would be things to look at and consider for options in this space.

I mostly use a Shure Beta 58, or the much more expensive SM 7B ( same mike in a sexier package)  but I have others by AKG, Audio Technica and Sennheiser. You get what you pay for applies to mike sound quality. A plain SM 58 is pretty flat sounding but the Beta 58 has a much wider frequency response. There's a huge difference when you try them side by side. 

LDC mikes seem to pick up every noise in the house as well as I make a lot of noise when I sing and it is not very flattering to capture that!  

What ever the mike,  you will always need to try a lot of them before you find that perfect match. And yes a LDC might just be the best mike for you. But you will need a better room.

I think noise removal plug ins have their place in this world for things like live recordings where you cannot control background noise. To me it's unacceptable to capture unwanted noise when recording in an environment where I have some sort of control over it. . I kick the cat out, close the door and tell my wife to stay out of the kitchen which is above my basement studio. My computer is buffered behind a 3" foamy.  But it is still faintly there if you listen to the blank spots between singing. So I delete that. I guess that's my noise Gate/ removal plug in. Delete.  

Not much I can do about my old Fender Princeton tube amp, but I consider that hum part of my sound. I just don't leave quiet spots!  

The OP's mike sounds like it would get shelved by me and I would keep looking. 

Edited by John Vere

23 hours ago, dantarbill said:

iZotope RX!  (Standard is fine.  You don't need the uber expensive Advanced edition.)  It will seem like an expensive way to solve a limited problem, but after you have it, you'll wonder how you did without it.

Gates can work too...but there's a lot of work involved in getting it dialed in right...and it doesn't deal with the veil of noise under the signal.

+1 for this post. I use RX pretty frequently.  It can be a life saver.  Either that or give Peter Jackson a call, his MAL software can extract anything :)

• Like 1