Now and Then

Keith Wilby

36 minutes ago, Bapu said:

Roughly 5% of the Beatles are clunkers for me. Yellow Submarine, tops that list.

I was surprised to hear the earliest demo for YS was sung by John: "In the town where I was born, nobody cared ...". Could have been an entirely different song.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

Back in the days, I was so anxious to put my hands on anything by The Beatles that even poor audio quality recordings such as the ones on this record would be played constantly.

71JILmcAFrL._UF10001000_QL80_.thumb.jpg.85daeb725f8b03f73bac6fd0456c0ba1.jpg

I learned every track on that thing because we always needed more songs when we played weddings and ballrooms and such. Much of it they eventually recorded on their first few albums but there were a few odd numbers that never made it on any official record. And I was still discovering their official discography, anyway. 

In many cases, it was the first time I was exposed to those songs (Be-Bop-A-Lula comes to mind).

I thought it was amusing because a lot of material was stuff that The Beatles themselves had learned because they needed to play for hours every night back then. 

Man, I love the Beatles. They weren't even around anymore when I was born and I feel I owe them so much.

Edited by Rain
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Rain said:

Man, I love the Beatles.

Same.

When I was 5 (in 1965) I used to visit my much older cousin on Sundays. She had loads of singles by, as it turned out, many different artists, and she used to let me play them. As young as I was, and without knowing it, I always favoured her Beatles records. There was just something about them that was different, better. I was unwittingly picking up on the standard of production and arrangements too. There was, for example, only one record that started with, what sounded to me then like "dummmm ... yahhhh" - I Feel Fine. It sounded like Robert the Robot from Fireball XL5 🤣

There was a magic that I detected that wasn't on other records. It wasn't til much later that I realised that these records were all by the same group.

• Like 1

This is a direct result of the album above - I learned that song off of the Live at the Star Club record, years before I even heard the (demo) studio version. Not sure I'd have ever heard such a song otherwise, to be honest. They exposed me to a lot of music.

A minute of me noodling around on a demo for a project with my then-wife and overdubbing guitars. I don't think it's quite as good as theirs, but we were going after a different energy. 

• Like 3

I almost inadvertently got to see the Beatles when they came out to the West Coast.  But, my parents, who were not fans, used my young age as an excuse to not go.  Not sure what I would have remembered from the event, but it would have been cool to say I had "seen" them!

2 hours ago, Rain said:

This is a direct result of the album above - I learned that song off of the Live at the Star Club record, years before I even heard the (demo) studio version. Not sure I'd have ever heard such a song otherwise, to be honest. They exposed me to a lot of music.

A minute of me noodling around on a demo for a project with my then-wife and overdubbing guitars. I don't think it's quite as good as theirs, but we were going after a different energy. 

That sounded great!  Loved that tone!

• Like 1

I've never really understood all the fuss about Halloween. I'm always being told that I should just have fun with it. Make the effort and join in more. So this year I went all out with the scary costumes, hired a professional set and lighting designer and turned my house into a haunted house of horrors. If I say so myself I blew the neighbours pathetic attempts away. I did it better than anyone. I was the new king of Halloween.

Then these two clowns had to go and top me by digging their old friends up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I turned 11 when The Beatles arrived in America for the first time on my birthday, 7 Feb 1964. I was already stoked by them as I saw a B&W film clip of them on the Jack Parr show a few days/weeks earlier saying they were coming to America and IIRC he predicted they were going to be huge. 

When the Beatles arrived, I thought they were OK, but The musicianship did not impress me. I liked a lot of the songwriting, though, especially those concise B parts that took the listener out of the tonic key and back quickly.

By the time “Help” came out, the musicianship got better, and when Rubber Soul came out, I was hooked.

I agree with Revolution 9, put Rocky Raccoon and Why Don't We Do It In The Road in the ignore pile. I think the White Album could have been one good, single album by cutting half the songs.

For me, the pinnacle was the Abbey Road medley.

But like I said, I feel pretty similarly about all the artists/groups that I love. Even my all-time favorite tenor sax players, Stan Getz and Stanley Turrentine recorded more than a few dogs. Same for Shostakovitch and Tchaikovsky.

I don't get into the “who is better” comparisons, because there is no definitive answer, but I do get into who do I like and dislike.

Back OT, I still think “Now And Then” in my opinion only is “meh”. I enjoyed the new work for what it is, but it won't make it on my digital Walkman playlist. But that's just me and my personal tastes.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

On 11/8/2023 at 2:30 AM, Rain said:

Back in the days, I was so anxious to put my hands on anything by The Beatles that even poor audio quality recordings such as the ones on this record would be played constantly.

71JILmcAFrL._UF10001000_QL80_.thumb.jpg.85daeb725f8b03f73bac6fd0456c0ba1.jpg

I learned every track on that thing because we always needed more songs when we played weddings and ballrooms and such. Much of it they eventually recorded on their first few albums but there were a few odd numbers that never made it on any official record. And I was still discovering their official discography, anyway. 

In many cases, it was the first time I was exposed to those songs (Be-Bop-A-Lula comes to mind).

I thought it was amusing because a lot of material was stuff that The Beatles themselves had learned because they needed to play for hours every night back then. 

Man, I love the Beatles. They weren't even around anymore when I was born and I feel I owe them so much.

This describes me to a tee!  They were over with by the time I was old enough to listen to music and then when I discovered them, I couldn't get my hands on anything Beatle related fast enough.  

Me with my first electric guitar.

216836_180227345360755_3946669_n.jpg?_nc

Edited by michaelhanson
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, craigb said:

Hey @Shane_B.!  Look above for the correct way to play a guitar!  😁

😜

One of the biggest regrets I have is not grabbing a left handed John Lennon Series Rickenbacker when I had the chance. My local music store called me when they got it in and said, you have to come down here, now! Hah. I just couldn't afford it at the time. I was 16 or 17.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2023 at 1:43 AM, Bapu said:

I turned 11 when The Beatles arrived in America for the first time on my birthday, 7 Feb 1964.

I was born on 9 Feb 1964, I persuaded my mum to wait a couple more days with the hope they all may be assassinated, alas.

I was born 9 Feb 1964, but I'm from Australia, I just seen an opportunity . . .

sit down sit down, I'll get me own coat and see meself out.