Now and Then

Keith Wilby

16 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

I just realized there are 2 versions of this on youtube. The Official Audio version and the Official Music Video version. I've been listening to the Audio version and didn't like the song until I just saw the Video version of it.

I'm going to look for that, I might change my mind. All I heard was the Audio version.

Thanks.

Notes ♫

9 minutes ago, Shane_B. said:

I swear there's a difference but maybe it's just me.

If you mean the sound quality;

Video:Volume / Normalized
100% / 100% (content loudness 0.0dB)

Song: Volume / Normalized
100% / 59% (content loudness 4.5dB)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heath row said:

I don't like them Now, and I didn't like them Then.

Never got it personally, give me the Rolling Stones over them any day, and Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden every day.

If you've never heard the song, it won't take long to get to the main line that counts! 😁

1 hour ago, pwal said:

imho the beatles thing is better than the stones thing, and two of those beatles are dead already, but i don't rate either haha

On both band's songs that Macca plays on, the bass could probably be done by any player with only a year of experience. Run of the mill bass playing is what I heard. I can finally say that I'm a good as Macca (on those two songs).

22 minutes ago, Bapu said:

On both band's songs that Macca plays on, the bass could probably be done by any player with only a year of experience. Run of the mill bass playing is what I heard. I can finally say that I'm a good as Macca (on those two songs).

But are we talking about the original or the replacement? 🤔

😜

• Haha 2

On 11/4/2023 at 4:13 AM, Keith Wilby said:

I think they were right to cut that out. It seems a bit awkward and clanky to me and I think that the solo fits better. I do agree with @Shane_B. that there's too much compression. That said, I like it very much.

Yep I agree it was clanky,  but I think that John and Paul would have hashed out this section and it would have been a great part of the song.

I like The Beatles and The Rolling Stones for different reasons. But I don't like every song either one of them recorded. Some connect with me, others don't, they are for someone else.

That's pretty much the same for every artist/group that I like. Even my all-time favorite sax players, Stan Getz and Stanley Turrentine have some cuts that really don't do anything for me, and others that put me in a trance.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

I like The Beatles and The Rolling Stones for different reasons. But I don't like every song either one of them recorded. Some connect with me, others don't, they are for someone else.

That's pretty much the same for every artist/group that I like. Even my all-time favorite sax players, Stan Getz and Stanley Turrentine have some cuts that really don't do anything for me, and others that put me in a trance.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

I also like both for different reasons, but also in very different proportions.

I probably like 90% of the Beatles' catalog, and the remaining 10% is nothing that I really mind listening to. Besides Revolution 9, I don't really think there's much I skip when listening to their records, and I listen to all their albums. Not saying that it's all great, but for one reason or another, I enjoy most of it.

The Stones, there's probably 10% that I like, much of the rest I just can't be bothered to listen to, and then some stuff that is, to my ears, simply awful - sometimes entire records.

Of couse, they've had a much longer career. The percentage would be greater if we only looked at the 60's and 70's, but still nothing close to the Beatles. Even the albums that I really like usually have a few songs that I consider stinkers.

But I wouldn't want to be in a world without those Stones songs that I really like. And Keith.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Rain said:

I probably like 90% of the Beatles' catalog, and the remaining 10% is nothing that I really mind listening to. Besides Revolution 9, I don't really think there's much I skip when listening to their records, and I listen to all their albums. Not saying that it's all great, but for one reason or another, I enjoy most of it.

The Stones, there's probably 10% that I like, much of the rest I just can't be bothered to listen to, and then some stuff that is, to my ears, simply awful - sometimes entire records.

I'm with you on the first para there although I'm probably nearer to 95%. I actually don't mind Rev 9, I'd be more likely to skip Good Night off that LP. I like the non-UK "Out of our Heads Stones" LP, along with "Beggars Banquet" and "Let it Bleed". I've tried to "get into" some of their other stuff like "Sticky Fingers" and "Exile" but there's just something lacking in them for me.

Different strokes.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Keith Wilby said:

I'm with you on the first para there although I'm probably nearer to 95%. I actually don't mind Rev 9, I'd be more likely to skip Good Night off that LP. I like the non-UK "Out of our Heads Stones" LP, along with "Beggars Banquet" and "Let it Bleed". I've tried to "get into" some of their other stuff like "Sticky Fingers" and "Exile" but there's just something lacking in them for me.

Different strokes.

Funny that you mention Good Night because it crossed my mind. Actually, I probably skipped it more often that Revolution 9 when I was listening to them all the time.

Edited by Rain
  • Like 1

Roughly 5% of the Beatles are clunkers for me. Yellow Submarine, tops that list. Till There Was You is wasted air space. Some days I like Octopuses Garden, other days, nah! Blue Jay Way I will skip/turn off/change station.

I saw Ringo's All Star Band with Jack Bruce one year. Even Jack could not save YS, I went to the loo.

I am a proud near constant Beatles Channel listener on SiriusXM when I drive, unless I'm testing a mix of a song I'm working on.

• Like 1