The 250 Greatest Guitarists of All Time By Rolling Stone

kennywtelejazz

Did I miss John 5 on the list. I read it a few times and didn't see him.

He is what I would call a great guitar player. He can play any genre of music. I saw an interview with him one time. He said he grew up watching Hee Haw with his dad and thought the Tele was the only guitar there was, or something along those lines. That's why he plays a Tele now. As much as I don't care for his image, I really think he is a one of the greats.

I don't see Roy Clark on there either. The man was amazing on guitar. He played everything from classical to rock to jazz to country.

• Like 3

On 10/15/2023 at 7:38 AM, PhonoBrainer said:

I assume Knopfler is in the top 10? I never got to read, because the actual article title should read:

"The 250 Greatest Pop-Up Ads"

Knopfler should have gotten a much better placement on the list then what they gave him .

On 10/15/2023 at 8:00 AM, Bapu said:

'zacto

Wow ! short and sweet huh!  Are you saying a  well placed swipe w a zacto knife aimed at the writers sack would have solved most of the errant rankings  of this list 🤣

On 10/15/2023 at 8:02 AM, DeeringAmps said:

All 250 of them are Jeff Beck!

Not a tough decision. 
Beck was playing the blues with the Tridents while Clapton was dreaming of being a “Bluesman”.

Jeff was laying down the Psychedelic Rock when Chas Chandler brought Hendrix to London. 

Jeff owned prog rock  

Head and shoulders above any who came before or after  

that is all…

t

It was about a half hour after Manny's Music had closed and I was organizing a few things in the guitar dept . I got finished up and came around the guitar counter and there he was 🤩 Jeff Beck ! I  stood there face to face with him at eye level and then I froze ...I couldn't move a muscle or even get a word out as I was frozen just like Bambi in the head lights . Jeff actually put a little smile on his face I think he thought it was a little funny  . To this day , Jeff Beck is the only guitar hero I ever met in real life who struck me totally  speechless ..

all the best ,

Kenny

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I need to come back later and back track on some posts I have just skipped over , in the mean time I have strong feelings about a few excluded guitar players ...

George Benson should have been on the list .I don't know what they were thinking excluding him .  Wes , and Grant Green were early influences for him yet George took it to a whole other place .

Joe Pass not included in the list ! are you kidding me ?  Back then the only real emerging  innovator on solo jazz guitar  was Lenny Breau .....he was a hidden treasure ...very few players knew who he was ...When Joe came out with The Virtuoso series of records his recordings of solo unaccomplished jazz guitar playing  literately  created a whole new listening experience for fans of Jazz Guitar . Like  Andrés Segovia he created a whole new place for the guitar  in guitar history . I feel very fortunate to have met him back then and I hung out with him often . He mentored me ...Thank You Joe !

I happen to think Al Di Meola could have easily earned a place on the list had the R S writers took a little Vaseline rubbed it on their necks and pulled their heads out of their butts ...they could have left one of the modern mini skirted bad girl  Hoochie coochie mamas off the list to make a place for him

When Al Di Meola  hit the scene with Chick Corea  and Return to Forever back in the 70's man oh man .....the ensemble playing in RTF was seriously off the charts and up until that point even though we had great fusion guitar players in that era ( Holdsworth , Abercrombie , Connors  ) Al's playing in RTF occupied a whole other place in fusion  because  he had the ability and chops to have played effortlessly accurate at crazy tempos all the guitar parts that were not improvised / integral  parts of Chicks compositions ....Then when you add Music like this he did from the 70's how can anyone say he doesn't deserve to be on the list ....

PS I understand that not every one is into this sort of music but hey I am ( or I was ) 

Kenny

• Like 3

I had to go back and look at the article to make sure the Chrssie Hyde they placed at 172 was the one I was thinking about. Yep, they are the same. Such a shame they thought she was worthy and not Joe Pass and Al Di Meola.

And she ranked higher than Django and Wes Montgomery!! If ya gonna put her on the list, put her down at the bottom!! 

SMFH!!

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 2

On 10/15/2023 at 8:02 AM, Bapu said:

image.png.5c0702d20a20531a80d25323fbfde99f.png

Apparently he is only halfway there . To go full out epic guitar critic of the universe he needs to cross his arms as tight as he can . Then for the maxim effect he can hold the pose until he hyperventilates and looses consciousness  .😜

Kenny

• Great Idea 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/16/2023 at 4:29 AM, DeeringAmps said:

@kennywtelejazzthanks for putting up the list. I avoid most commercial sites due to the endless ads, links etcetera…

t

I'm glad it made life easier for you .

On 10/16/2023 at 6:07 AM, PhonoBrainer said:

Dang, Kenny, thank you!

These click bait list creators are insane. This list should have been published on April 1st.

I love Alex Lifeson! But he's not #58 if Mark Knopfler is #96. That's  criminally ridiculous.

Where is Michael Hedges??? He even drove his car off a Pt Reyes cliff! What does a guitarist have to do???

Carrie Brownstein, meanwhile, is #64, ahead of Knopfler. True, Knopfler never did top-shelf sketch comedy.

images(2)(3).jpeg.d0370c6033b16bcd181acda9dd594e64.jpeg

Now I don't feel so bad about cancelling my Roiling Stoned subscription in 1983.

IMHO  That article was so hard to navigate .I wound up puting up with the click bait aspect long enough to make the list and I'm glad I did .

I'm with most folks here I don't agree with the order and numeric aspect of the rankings some of the guitarist received  .

On 10/16/2023 at 9:08 AM, Pragi said:

At least Albert King is listed.

It seems The Three Kings made the list

Albert King
Freddy King
B.B. King

Then we have some other Kings that made the list

Kaki King ?
King Sunny Ade
Kerry King

I am thoroughly convinced that bapu could have easily made the list and earned the respect he greatly deserves for having invented The A minor chord  .

Yep King Bapu!  seems to have a nice ring to it . So does Bapu King !

all the best ,

Kenny King 🤣

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

"I say we use water pistols and foam nun-chucks....we don't want people around here to get hurt"

On 10/16/2023 at 11:06 PM, Pragi said:

It's all about love.:D

Haven't we all heard about Fight Clubs don't talk don't talk don't tell policy ?

We on the other hand like to talk about all of our fights because our female referees ( orange tank tops ) are trained to assist and comfort all cf the brawlers .

No matter what injuries and  fighting skills the fighters may or may not posses has little impact and makes no difference what so ever . Once the fight is over our referees  set out to clean up the wreckage of the fight . During the intensive clean up process  they have yet to find a fighter with a BO BO they couldn't make feel better once they gave it a little TLC and a Kiss .

So Yes ! It's all about love :D

lR1dQre.jpg

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Like 1

Bacon-Love-is-in-the-air.jpg

Patches !  Today is your Lucky Day !

I'm in Heat and I made you breakfast in bed !

19e102cc4e970ab08bdb4cd63cf7c897.jpg&f=1

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Rain said:

Wait, Brian Setzer isn't on that list either? 

Those people, I swear...

Yeah, a lot of greats aren't on there. Another one is Kenny Vaughn. I think he started out in punk, but now he does cointry. But he's another one who can play anything. He's one of The Fabulous Superlatives. Marty Stuart's band. Stuart can play too.

Their claim to game is they just play straight through the amps. No pedals. There's an interview out there about when they played on one of the late night talk shows and the band and crew were freaking out because they just showed up with their amps and no other gear. Just found the show ...

https://youtu.be/Cx_l9kLxycw?si=0n2_fcOxHW9hb8Os

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shane_B. said:

Yeah, a lot of greats aren't on there. Another one is Kenny Vaughn. I think he started out in punk, but now he does cointry. But he's another one who can play anything. He's one of The Fabulous Superlatives. Marty Stuart's band. Stuart can play too.

Their claim to game is they just play straight through the amps. No pedals. There's an interview out there about when they played on one of the late night talk shows and the band and crew were freaking out because they just showed up with their amps and no other gear. Just found the show ...

https://youtu.be/Cx_l9kLxycw?si=0n2_fcOxHW9hb8Os

Here is the interview where Kenny Vaughn talks about performing the show from the video you posted and running the Telecasters directly into the amps with no effects pedals .

all the best ,

Kenny

• Like 2