IK releases iRig USB guitar interface

cclarry

IK Multimedia releases iRig USB, the newest member of the bestselling iRig guitar interface line. iRig USB gives guitar and bass players an affordable and easy way to practice, play and record, sporting a sleek enclosure with USB-C connectivity and bundled with IK's latest amp and effects modeling technology.

$69.99

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/?item_id=15101

Edited by cclarry
  • Like 1

Comparing to iRig HD X...

iRig USB ($69.99):

• Input impedance: 500 kOhms
  • Maximum input level: +13.5 dBu
  • USB-C to USB-C cable (60 cm/23.62")

IRig HD X ($129.99):

• Input impedance:1 MOhms

• Maximum input level: +9 dBu

• USB-C to Lightning cable (60 cm/23.62")

"... with iOS lightning device, the iRig USB will require a CCK connector/adapter."

Sampling rate maxes out at 48 kHz on USB vs. 96kHz on HD X.

Both come with the same software bundle: AmpliTube SE, TONEX SE.

Probably good enough for most people vs. iRig HD X.

Edited by ALC
  • Like 3

I have an older iRig HD 2 at home now and latency on iPad is worse than my "all-in-one" NuX Mighty Plug Pro which is not primarily audio interface. I'm quite curious whether iRig USB will be better or not.

Btw "Premium" Apogee Jam+ is even worse than HD 2 in case of latency on iPad.

3 hours ago, filo said:

I have an older iRig HD 2 at home now and latency on iPad is worse than my "all-in-one" NuX Mighty Plug Pro which is not primarily audio interface. I'm quite curious whether iRig USB will be better or not.

Btw "Premium" Apogee Jam+ is even worse than HD 2 in case of latency on iPad.

What latency are you seeing?  And in what application?  Have you tried AUM?  Are you able to use 64 sample buffers?

54 minutes ago, ALC said:

What latency are you seeing?  And in what application?  Have you tried AUM?  Are you able to use 64 sample buffers?

I think everything is here: :) 

i-Pad-comparison-i-Rig-Nu-X-RME.thumb.jpg.d336317e5530ade9633259d20b07b09b.jpg

I have iPad Air 2022 and tested round trip latency in Onyx app https://onyx3.com/LatencyMeter/

Btw,  Apogee Jam+ latency was 16.5ms at 48kHz/64 samples

Edited by filo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ALC said:

Comparing to iRig HD X...

iRig USB ($69.99):

• Input impedance: 500 kOhms
  • Maximum input level: +13.5 dBu

IRig HD X ($129.99):

• Input impedance:1 MOhms

• Maximum input level: +9 dBu

• USB-C to Lightning cable (60 cm/23.62")

"... with iOS lightning device, the iRig USB will require a CCK connector/adapter."

Sampling rate maxes out at 48 kHz on USB vs. 96kHz on HD X.

Both come with the same software bundle: AmpliTube SE, TONEX SE.

Probably good enough for most people vs. iRig HD X.

so i am dumb. which one has better impermanence and max input level  for guitar? i am guessing the HD X, right? I have a really old irig and older ipad. i havent used them in ages. i should try to do the test and see how latency compares.

FWIW.. i have been thinking about trying the ipad/cubasiss DAW thing again. when i last tried it, it was cumbersome as hell to do anything on it. but maybe things have gotten better. i have been listening to some  new releases by a major artist (bruce hornsbys last record which has more of a electronic instruments sounds)  and in the interview he talks about how one of the musicians -- Ethan plays the  ipad a lot of to make the sounds.

Edited by telecode 101

1 hour ago, fret_man said:

HDX has better impedance but worse max input level.

HDX sound like junk compared to my ToneX pedal (or even AXE I/O) but it does get you into the echosystem.  Just want to throw that out there for anyone wondering "is this the quality everyone is praising"

I've been very happy with my AXE I/O Solo. The passive/active switch is worthwhile - I flip it depending on which bass I'm using. The Z-Tone knob is useful when switching between say a Strat and a Les Paul. It's my first inteface that has MIDI DIN in and out which I've been using with my eDRUMin so I can record from across the room while keeping the eDRUMin plugged in via USB to the laptop dedicated to the edrum setup. It sounds great on guitar and basses.