Gear that you DON'T miss or regret having to say farewell to

Rain

15 hours ago, hockeyjx said:

I had one of the early M-Audio interfaces, and it was horrid. Glad when I got my first "real" one with the Tascam FW-1884, which was an awesome purchase.

Anytime I built a DAW with an AMD processor and/or a non-Asus board, I was happy when I got rid of it!

That's strange to hear as I've had nothing but good luck with them, except that Trigger Finger thingie. I think my Delta 44 was the first thing that I bought when I decided to get serious about that whole DAW business. Midiman, as they had been known until then, were known for their solid products, and the Delta 1010 was receiving very positive reviews. I remember a fellow cakewalk newsgroup member got one and was quite happy with it - David Abraham Fenton I think his name was (I may be confusing people, that was obviously quite some time ago, circa 2000). As I was looking to upgrade my uber cheap PCI card, I figured M-Audio was the way to go.

Although it didn't have quite the same pedigree as the 1010, the 44 was amply sufficient for my needs. I never used more than 2 ins at a time, anyway. And everything else in my humble rig was M-Audio too - preamp, monitors, midi keyboard. Didn't hurt that they had an office in Quebec City where I lived - which was almost unheard of. And then came Pro Tools M-Powered, which was quite exciting at the time. 

My perception of it was that the quality went south after Avid sold them, which coincided with me upgrading my gear, anyway.  Are they even still in business? The only M-Audio "product" that I still use is this old key thingie: 

IMG_6247.thumb.jpg.4d5792981519642e2e5f85f4fbd32431.jpg

But I take your word for it - I guess I was particularly lucky.

Edited by Rain

On 10/2/2023 at 10:55 PM, Sheens said:

yeah he didn´t want to hear about it 

OIP-2.jpg

I heard after he loosened her dress and placed her zipper in his mouth for safe keeping  , A group of real jealous monkeys wouldn't  stop reminding  him that  She is so out of his league it's ridiculous.....So Yeah !  I get it now ....  Of course he didn't want to hear what they had to say about it . 

Either way he lucked out big time !  Here she is waiting for him  😍

bejDolj.jpg?1?fb&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=fc6ea136

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Haha 1

in Chimp community number of divorses is growing.

more and more males tell their 'loved ones'  to f&*^*off

giphy-7.gif

they then rather now and then do a DIY job, instead dealing with the lady every day.

giphy-11.gif

Edited by Sheens

Moog One

• Extremely expensive
  • Great potential
  • One achilleas-heal

It would spit out a really sour note (intonation) from time to time.

No, I'm not talking about typical (desirable) analog-drift... I'm talking make your lips pucker totally sour note.

Just killed the joy of having/using it.

• Like 1

I've only sold two bits of gear (not counting the ones I sold and later bought again), but the one I don't regret selling is my Kawai K4R.

On paper this thing is miles better than the K1 / K1R, but in practice I couldn't get any sound I liked out of it.  Just goes to show that with romplers the set of samples shipped with it is far more important than the feature set.

• Like 1

I have sold dozens of desirable guitars and amps over the years once I found the honeymoon was over.  (Or in some cases  I might have needed the money  )

I honestly don't think one size fits all and I feel it is important to open oneself up and find out first hand what may work best for you and if it don't work out send it off to someone whom it may work out much better for .

In addition to that , I needed to take a good hard look at what gear I was buying and using based on the fantasy of emulating my guitar heroes. Thankfully that phase ended about 20 years ago for me.I don't care what guitar , amp ,or pedal any one uses including that modern blues guitar dude Joe Banana ( sp )  ?

I heard he bought up in bulk lots of the available vintage guitars and amps and got Epiphone to reissue some of those instruments using his name. Now they  charge more for them today then what they cost back in the day . I'm sure there a few that are nice ...buy hey talk about a racket  :P

Having said that ! I am beyond grateful to have had the opportunity to have both experimented and discover first hand what works best for me and what doesn't ....

all the best,

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz

On 10/1/2023 at 12:37 PM, hockeyjx said:

Anytime I built a DAW with an AMD processor and/or a non-Asus board, I was happy when I got rid of it!

Same here. There always seems to be one tiny little spec buried in the details that's greatly lacking in AMD chips that have a profound effect on their performance.

I always had the best performance and stability from Intel CPU's paired with Intel motherboards and Kingston RAM. Can't seem to buy Intel boards anymore so I switched to Asus.

The last DAW I built with an ASUS mobo has given me zero trouble and is still faster than I'll ever need for DAW work. I do need to upgrade if I want to get back in to gaming due to my CPU not being 100% compatible with newer video cards thus not being able to fully open them up. Maybe when I win the powerball.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kennywtelejazz said:

No More Banana Pie for U!  until you learn how to engage your loved ones in public with the proper manners and courtesy !

emerson-hope-image.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=4ebn2qoib2a2a8t90v7g60_faces_emerson-hope-emerson-hope-image.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=4e

Kenny

Ok Michael Douglas, no idea why you post an old pic of your twin sister.

You know the deal....no banana pie = getting this face all day

images-18.jpg

Edited by Sheens

On 9/30/2023 at 4:41 PM, Rain said:

I grew up in a relatively poor household, so I have many contenders for the title of worst piece of gear you've ever owned. 

My first electric guitar was a used crappy Les Paul copy, a brand named Mann, that I got for Christmas in 85. I found a picture on the web. Mine had the black pickguard and the black speed knobs.

vl1sy3cphflmvc9lzuhn.thumb.webp.cd448e0eb3b22e406bb391a5d60f9e4d.webp

And here's me with mine:

164504_494583022581_5158147_n.jpg.302ac7d67b71628c966bb2bb62f37e32.jpg

I remember me and my pal bringing our guitars to have them adjusted by a friend's dad. When we came to pick them up, my buddy's Sears Harmony Strat copy was all set up and intonated. He then handed me mine with that sad look on his face, saying: sorry, there's just nothing I can really do about yours. THAT crappy.

As much as I was happy to have a guitar, a tobacco burst Les Paul stood out like a sore thumb when you were an aspiring metal god in the age of superstrats. In the late 80's, you'd rarely see any metal guitarist with a LP, much less one with that kind of finish.

But I kept at it for the next few years, and eventually, after an entire year without an electric guitar, I got a Sears Strat, all black, which was already a huge improvement, and then my Korean Fender Squier. I often wonder whether it's possible that that Mann sucked so bad that it slowed down my progress. I think so. Not to mention that I couldn't afford a set of strings, I'd buy individual ones when I broke a B or an E, but I'd sometimes go on with a 4 or 5 string guitar for a few weeks.

I had so many bad memories that almost 25 years passed before I even considered playing a LP again. Ironically, they then quickly became my favorites.

Not only did my guitar suck, but I didn't have an amp until the following Christmas. Ad then this is what I got:

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.8da6ce02ed871d40ed3138862a182980.jpg

And no pedal, of course (I eventually got a BOSS Super Overdrive, a year or two afterwards - although that was yet another compromise as I could not get the orange Distortion I lusted after). 

For a while, I rented amps whenever I could afford it and needed it for a rehearsal or something. I'd also borrow a little Traynor from school. And I eventually inherited that ROSS amp - though I seem to recall mine was for keys, it had no overdrive.

fgf4e75x2sxlutcqkzh1.thumb.webp.66b86d7490eb30cde38938407f9251ef.webp

But, yeah, that one and all the rest of these are the stuff of nightmares. And the reason I was so ecstatic when I finally got my Korean Strat and my first Marshall combo. 

I am glad that you were able to push through with your passion and upgrade your guitar eventually.

• Like 2