2023.09 Feedback

Morten Saether

1 hour ago, Ronny.G said:

Unfortunately I agree with you, however considering that it was certainly easier to leave the activation system as it had always been up to that moment and therefore it was done not casually, how I have to consider this "temporary" disabling?

Forgive me for being a bit rude with bakers but now I find hard to believe that it wasn't done on purpose. Not a word for months about this...just disabled. And according to the bakers, I should update now my system, at the EOL of CbB just to receive the latter update? At this point I leave this system as it is and I start to configure (as I have already done) another system with a different DAW (practically all allow offline activation) and my best wishes to Bandlab for the "new" Sonar, even if this will have offline activation. Maybe I have to study a bit a new DAW, as I'm doing already, but at the end it's not as difficult as it once was because times have changed and now they are all more user friendly. I learn finally a more supported a widely used DAW and then honestly, now, after having ascertained the consideration of users I think it's time to direct trust also towards others and explore different routes and possibilities...

Changes within the app facilitated that BandLab Assistant was no longer able to do offline Activation for Cakewalk by BandLab. There was no bad intention involved. The new method required for this just hasn't been formally released yet. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

The new method required for this just hasn't been formally released yet. 

thanks for reply, however don't you think that after one year of waiting (the earlier update was of november 2022) + four months of waiting due to this activation problem, it's now time to do something and finally put the resolution of the problem at the top of the priority list? I understand the interest in the development of the new products but you have suddenly disabled the option and too much time passed without being restored.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ronny.G said:

thanks for reply, however don't you think that after one year of waiting (the earlier update was of november 2022) + four months of waiting due to this activation problem, it's now time to do something and finally put the resolution of the problem at the top of the priority list? I understand the interest in the development of the new products but you have suddenly disabled the option and too much time passed without being restored.

We're doing what we can as quickly as we're able to do it. We appreciate people's patience. In the case of offline activation, this is not something that will impact the vast majority of users, so it's kind of a special case scenario. That said, check your PMs. We do what we can to unblock people who reach out. 

@Jonathan Sasor

Thanks for your PM and for your interest on the problem. 

Obviously I would be hypocritical if I wrote now, that I have activated CbB, that everything has always gone well considering that too much time has passed for offline activation to be allowed again after it was removed. I understand that there have been some delays and probably the fact that the problem concerned only a few people has complicated the restoration and the lack of communications about the problem even more. As I wrote even because of this, but not only, I had already started to configure a new system with StudioOne6 (taking advantage of the offers) and I am also happy with this new system next to each other with CbB (which I find excellent too).

Having said that, however, ultimately support for offline activation of CbB has now been restored and I also received a direct response from the staff to my request and I was helped solve the problem and it's therefore right to be fair and report this too, considering that I had complained about the lack of support.

Edited by Ronny.G
Update after test
  • Like 1

On 12/26/2023 at 1:27 PM, Olaf said:

They ARE on fire, but when you choose to ignore it I guess you can invent a parallel reality designed just to contradict. Not to mention a lot more people would probably come up, if it weren't for individuals just like yourself, and if they thought their input actually solved anything. Anyway, thanks for your guessing intervention with no accuracy, intention to help, or info on the matter whatsoever, for the exclusive purpose of invalidating other people's experience. I guess people should return the favor sometime, it would be just fair. Since it appears it's ALL you do.

at the moment I have a BIG problem with CbB and Intel i9 14° ... I had to disable plugin load balancing,.. not to mention when you clouse multiple folder consecutively , it crash !!
In general I'm not happy about a new release 29.xx.xxx .. but I hope for a new Sonar could be best .
I'm still waiting for a beta tester mail ... but I gave up ...
we'll see how it ends 

9 hours ago, EnglandBross said:

plugin load balancing,.. not to mention when you clouse multiple folder consecutively , it crash !!

Not all plugins are compatible with Plug-in Load Balancing. In general I leave it off unless a project is heavily loading the first core, and enabling load-balancing clearly helps. In projects where the load is already pretty well-distributed and I'm not having to greatly increase the ASIO buffer to get it to play cleanly, I've found it can actually be detrimental.

I'm not able to repro your crash on closing multiple folders.

• Like 2

On 1/2/2024 at 7:28 PM, Jonathan Sasor said:

We're doing what we can as quickly as we're able to do it. We appreciate people's patience. In the case of offline activation, this is not something that will impact the vast majority of users, so it's kind of a special case scenario. That said, check your PMs. We do what we can to unblock people who reach out. 

I started receiving this message. What it is ?

image.png.ece03c9bac2c2618528e116981f0daf6.png

Em 02/01/2024 às 19:28, Jonathan Sasor disse:

Estamos fazendo o que podemos o mais rápido possível. Agradecemos a paciência das pessoas. No caso da ativação offline, isso não é algo que afetará a grande maioria dos usuários, então é uma espécie de cenário de caso especial. Dito isso, verifique seus PMs. Fazemos o que podemos para desbloquear as pessoas que se aproximam.

Please, can you arrange the unlocking?

Hello,

Happy New Year to you all. Hope you're doing well.

I'm new in this forum, although I've been quietly using Cakewalk by Bandlab since the beginning of this amazing project.

If I may add an issue, this is it:

Audiomovers "Listento" plugin crashes as soon as it starts to stream inserted in any track. I can load the plugin (VST3 only plugin) and configure it, but when I click on Stream, it holds for a second and then Cakewalk crashes.

I hope this can be adressed somehow.

The best,

KeepIn

Edited by Keep

22 hours ago, Keep said:

Hello,

Happy New Year to you all. Hope you're doing well.

I'm new in this forum, although I've been quietly using Cakewalk by Bandlab since the beginning of this amazing project.

If I may add an issue, this is it:

Audiomovers "Listento" plugin crashes as soon as it starts to stream inserted in any track. I can load the plugin (VST3 only plugin) and configure it, but when I click on Stream, it holds for a second and then Cakewalk crashes.

I hope this can be adressed somehow.

The best,

KeepIn

This sounds like it's likely an issue with the plugin itself, but can send us a dump file and we'll take a look. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

That just means your current activation session is going to expire in that many days. If you sign back into BandLab from Cakewalk, it'll renew the auth license. 

I had this today (13 day notice). It was easy to sign in to my account from within CWB. And it renewed (though there was no toast to say so). But pulling up the about confirmed it was authenticated.

• Like 2

I have been a happy user of 2022.11. Have the problems pointed out by so many been addressed?

I've read a ton of the thread today and in the past, but have not seen anything that really says most issues are resolved. Truth be told, my current build is something I'd rather not part with anytime soon. Especially if there are continuing problems.

I have a ton of big projects in progress and things are working great. Last thing I need to do is FAFO

35 minutes ago, Scott C. Stahl said:

Have the problems pointed out by so many been addressed?

Which problems are those? Many of us have no problems. The only "problem" that has been somewhat frequently reported since this release is"slow loading", which is a generic symptom with many possible causes, most of which have turned out to be system/project/plugin-specific and none of which are specific to this release.

• Like 2

That’s the thing, I read about people issues daily and it always comes back to it’s not an issue with Cakewalk, It’s almost always something caused by a plug in or computer , hardware issues 

For sure it still has a few weird little bugs but those are so  on the very fringe of what the majority of users would even be aware of.

I spend a lot of time working in Cakewalk and last time I had a crash was 100 % because of a plug in. I have never had any issues ever outside of plug in issues. 

The latest version of Cakewalk is BETTER than the last version because they fixed    the bugs they were aware of.
The rest we are told will be addressed with Sonar. And as we speak there’s an army of people swatting any bugs that they find there. 

So holding out on the last release is only based on miss information you have gathered. I’m also in the middle of dozens of important projects and I updated to make sure I was using the BEST version.
Having backup copies of all my projects is more important than thinking upgrading software is dangerous .  

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Scott C. Stahl said:

I have been a happy user of 2022.11. Have the problems pointed out by so many been addressed?

I've read a ton of the thread today and in the past, but have not seen anything that really says most issues are resolved. Truth be told, my current build is something I'd rather not part with anytime soon. Especially if there are continuing problems.

I have a ton of big projects in progress and things are working great. Last thing I need to do is FAFO

Given your stability and that you prize stability, it seems to make sense to me to remain, as there's no substantial leap from 2022.11 to now, other than a raft of bug fixes, none of which matters if the bugs you're experiencing now are of no major issue to you and you are able to keep your rig entirely stable/static(-ish as possible).  

I prefer to be on the current version as I've only seen progress, and the only remaining bugs I see are relatively minor.  There are still lots of "little" things, mainly in the UI as far as I experience, but fewer functional bugs to the degree those were noticeable in 2022.11.  I was a little bit disappointed with 2023.09 as so many little twiddly issues remain, but it was definitely an incremental improvement.

And I THINK, but am not 100% sure, for me 2023.09 is even more stable (prior versions have been rather stable, too).  There was an issue in the past where turning on my synth which talks via USB while Cakewalk was open would cause a crash in Cakewalk, which Cakewalk never recognized as an actual bug, but was partly resolved in some earlier release and entirely resolved in either the release before '23.09 or '23.09, I forget which (and, no, there were zero changes to the synth or USB architecture on my end during that time).   As aforementioned, I know there's also plug-in-caused instability, although ultimately the DAW provider does also have a role to minimize that, it's a two-way street there.  (In actuality my overall DAW setup is a little less stable on the whole, but I'm near-certain that's a plug-in-issue and not Cakewalk's.)

So, for a lot of/most people, I'd say get current, but as you are engaging a very stable and controlled environment functioning to your satisfaction, makes sense not to change - you likely won't get satisfactory improvement on the little bugs versus the risk that something becomes destabilized, however unlikely that is.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2024 at 3:21 PM, David Baay said:

Which problems are those? Many of us have no problems. The only "problem" that has been somewhat frequently reported since this release is"slow loading", which is a generic symptom with many possible causes, most of which have turned out to be system/project/plugin-specific and none of which are specific to this release.

Thanks for the reply.

Which problems are those?

All you have to do is read this very long thread. I admit it's been a bit of a slog to do so and I have not read EVERY post. Slow loading, activation issues, various problems for users that have stopped them dead in their tracks and as far as I can tell, no resolution of their problems have been noted.

On 1/9/2024 at 3:39 PM, John Vere said:

That’s the thing, I read about people issues daily and it always comes back to it’s not an issue with Cakewalk, It’s almost always something caused by a plug in or computer , hardware issues 

For sure it still has a few weird little bugs but those are so  on the very fringe of what the majority of users would even be aware of.

I spend a lot of time working in Cakewalk and last time I had a crash was 100 % because of a plug in. I have never had any issues ever outside of plug in issues. 

The latest version of Cakewalk is BETTER than the last version because they fixed    the bugs they were aware of.
The rest we are told will be addressed with Sonar. And as we speak there’s an army of people swatting any bugs that they find there. 

So holding out on the last release is only based on miss information you have gathered. I’m also in the middle of dozens of important projects and I updated to make sure I was using the BEST version.
Having backup copies of all my projects is more important than thinking upgrading software is dangerous .  

I've been a constant Cake user since the 90's and have downloaded every update and purchased every new version on offer for the past 30 years, so I'm not new to this. The posts in this thread have given me some real pause, so I simply thought I'd ask. This is a weird period where us Cake users are at a temporary dead end of an era. No way to roll back and no clear path forward yet.

I'm pretty sure most of these "Slow load" and other problems only cropped up for users AFTER the update. None of these problems were happening before.

Obviously, if I want to stay with CbB I'll have to comply at some point. I do keep my projects backed up, so It wouldn't be total disaster if it turned problematic... just a big, pain in the ***** hassle I just don't need right now.

Agreed, most bugs wind up being user/system/plug specific. I just don't want to be the one dealing with them when I am perfectly happy now. I try to work as fast as I can to clear out my project backlog, but it aint happening tomorrow.

Believe me, over many years I've seen new problems for somebody on almost every update, but this one has generated a lot of complaints.

Most importantly, the Bakers say this is it. No more updates in this free Cake era. So having us:

"Step forward and update, but you can't go back. Oh by the way, this last step is a dead end too".

Has me a bit hesitant.

I think once the "New" Sonar is up I'll be less worried about updates since this will be an ongoing high priority for the bakers. Plus, I can buy Sonar and download it right next to the old stuff. (That would be my guess) I still have all the legacy Sonar's sitting on my system as well.

Appreciate the encouragement, but I'd sure be happier when the New Sonar has a clear premiere date.

Edited by Scott C. Stahl

6 hours ago, Quinellipe Zorn said:

So, for a lot of/most people, I'd say get current, but as you are engaging a very stable and controlled environment functioning to your satisfaction, makes sense not to change - you likely won't get satisfactory improvement on the little bugs versus the risk that something becomes destabilized, however unlikely that is.

Exactly

I am on the latest Cakwalk by Bandlab and after some initial troubles, things have been very stable for me. I did a complete uninstall/reinstall as well when the final final update was released.

I have been banging on this thing very hard every day for months now and have only crashed or had any issues twice. Both of those times were back to back when using the Export Audio Task Queue....that problem ended up resolving itself and I now have 50+ tasks that run very smoothly to create all the different versions and formats of my song.

Oddly, as I was loging in to post here, Cakewalk notified me that I only had 7 days left before my Cakewalk authentication expired. No way that was 6 months! And then i logged in and it took me to a dead link?

Um, whatever.  It seems to be happy now.

I still like this version a lot and its been very productive for me. I would happily pay just to have a permanent unlock code for THIS version! I guess that's what we will get with the new Sonar (sort of)...although to be clear, if we are paying, there should be no 'log in every 6 months nonsense'.  And of course, a subscription model is out of the question for myself and many others.

I passed on all the holiday sales and crossgrade offers to see what comes of Sonar in the new year. I'd prefer to stay on this DAW for the remaninder of my time but am also prepared to pivot if necessary. Platinum still loads all my old projects as well so I feel like I'm in a pretty good spot in terms of access to legacy files. 

I still read that some are having issues here and there with this version. I just wanted to share that it's been just about perfect for me.  I hope they get all the rest of the remaining issues and troubles for users worked out. Like many, I have 30 years and countless thousands of hours wrapped up in Cakewalk so I'm really hoping for a soft landing on this.

Good luck to all and I hope we get good news soon!

• Like 3