2023.09 Feedback

Morten Saether

7 hours ago, Milton Sica said:

Yes. In other times, the developers themselves made these contacts with the plugin developers 

That's what I expected from the team.

That was favors(favours.) The Bakers dont have too. Its your job as the user to report a bug/limitations to the company that writes the code. You dont see that company complaining here if they felt like the limitations were a problem, do you? We are not in demand here. Neither free nor in a paid version of a software.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Will. said:

That was favors(favours.) The Bakers dont have too. Its your job as the user to report a bug/limitations to the company that writes the code. You dont see that company complaining here if they felt like the limitations were a problem, do you? We are not in demand here. Neither free nor in a paid version of a software.  

I just commented that, in the past, developers did a lot of this intermediation for countless other plugins, considering the importance of keeping users connected and productive with their productions.

At no point did I say that this done in the past was an obligation of the team. He said he hoped this would be done, maintaining the favors previously performed.

• Like 1

Reading through most of this my observation is this last release is generally an improvement over last year’s release. But something changed that isn’t playing well with some peoples systems. 
All the typical complaints that are mostly either pilot error or a plug in are expected. 
But this slow to load issues hasn’t really received a answer from the developers? 
Something is going on and even myself I’m feeling like Cakewalk is definitely slower to open projects.  My projects are pretty simple and I’m using the same plug ins I’ve used for a few years. 

It would not be of concern to me but if Sonar is based on this latest code then this issue should be taken seriously.  

I think I’ll try a few experiments. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

I bring to record something that happened this morning and that I found a solution for.
Certainly those more experienced in the tool will be able to clarify the origin of the problem.
The case:

1 - I use a project in my work routine only to do the final mastering.
2 - This project has some plugins, as seen in the attached image.
3 - I didn't close the project last night and went back to work on it in the morning.
4 - This consists of importing the WAV file generated in the mixing into this project and reevaluating it using the TR5 Master Match, which has a reference to maintain the same final standards as the album I am building.
5 - When applying the operations suggested by TR5 there was a HUGE EXPLODE IN VOLUME.
6 - I decided to close the mastering project and start all the previous steps. This corrected what was wrong.

image.png.85b1e0090495939e8a129dbf0c8cdcea.png

@Milton Sica  Like I said, nothing to do with the latest version. Its a  Plug in. Kinda obvious don't you think? 

Anyhow back to the real issues, The slow to load projects one. 

As I said I was also noticing this as well and it was getting worse the larger the project the slower. The blue toast would slowly scroll through my boring list of instruments Addictive drums, Ample Bass, True Pianos and Lounge lizard as example. Then it scrolls through the effects,  pretty stock stuff , Boost 11 x2, Loud max, You lean meter, Span, and then Acon reverb and Sonitus delay. This took at least over 20 seconds. 

So I experimented and possibly a coincidence but I disabled my Lan internet, I don't use Wi Fi, and boom. Same project loads in 5 seconds? 

I worked all day yesterday and everything was perky.  This morning even my PC seems faster. So worth a try for others having the slow down issue. It's been years since I have had to disable the internet on my DAW. 

My thoughts are this could be directly linked to the latest update and the new server. I imagine Cakewalk phones home when started up and this new server seems real slow. Probably in a basement somewhere in Asia on dial up. Just kidding,  but might be worth testing. 

Edited by John Vere

11 minutes ago, John Vere said:

[snip]

My thoughts are this could be directly linked to the latest update and the new server. I imagine Cakewalk phones home when started up and this new server seems real slow.

Both my DAWs are always online, and I've not seen any issues. And CbB does not "phone home" every time you launch it. Activation files are stored locally and don't get refreshed until they expire (several months at least) or an update is installed.

Different users are reporting "slowness" at different points: launching CbB to the Start Screen, scanning plugins, "Loading tracks and clips", "Creating UI", "Almost done", etc. Several of these "slow load" issues have been resolved by specific actions like eliminating a big archive file that's being picked up by the Media Browser (not a new issue), adding exclusions to A/V scanning, removing or reverting to a previous version of a plugin, power-cycling the interface, rebooting, etc.  In addition to the tendency of users to attribute every new issue to the most recent update, there's also a tendency for user's to see a very generic problem description like "slow loading" and latch onto that as matching their issue when there's actually no commonality to the exact symptoms or root cause.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

@Milton Sica  Like I said, nothing to do with the latest version. Its a  Plug in. Kinda obvious don't you think? 

As I said I was also noticing this as well and it was getting worse the larger the project the slower. The blue toast would slowly scroll through my boring list of instruments Addictive drums, Ample Bass, True Pianos and Lounge lizard as example. Then it scrolls through the effects,  pretty stock stuff , Boost 11 x2, Loud max, You lean meter, Span, and then Acon reverb and Sonitus delay. This took at least over 20 seconds. 

So I experimented and possibly a coincidence but I disabled my Lan internet, I don't use Wi Fi, and boom. Same project loads in 5 seconds? 

I worked all day yesterday and everything was perky.  This morning even my PC seems faster. So worth a try for others having the slow down issue. It's been years since I have had to disable the internet on my DAW. 

My thoughts are this could be directly linked to the latest update and the new server. I imagine Cakewalk phones home when started up and this new server seems real slow. Probably in a basement somewhere in Asia on dial up. Just kidding,  but might be worth testing. 

Yeah... I too was thinking along those lines. Server changed. Not as robust...

On 11/6/2023 at 2:19 PM, msmcleod said:

MT PowerDrum Kit doesn't respond to CC #7 - this is a plugin limitation, not an issue with CbB automation.

Researching the plugin's features further, I discovered that it is possible to automate the GENERAL PLUGIN VOLUME by following the steps below.

1) Include the plugin with audio tracks, as shown in the image below.

image.png.55fa10fba9591da9d5bfe607a4b96e69.png

2 - On audio channel 1 created by clicking the button to automate a control, choose the Global Volume parameter.

This procedure will allow me to automate the volume that was my desire and, now that I discovered it, all the others in the plugin.

image.png.6cbf5141bfacb85ceda4244ab2d357aa.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bitman said:

Thanks, I was under the hopeful assumtion a that the Cakewalk downloader tool was being spoken of in the context of an installer we could squirl away for later not just the installer stub that it is.

It is, just double click on that file you downloaded, follow it through and let it do it's thing. Do it on a machine that doesn't have CbB installed, and it will download the full install file.

[Edit] Just stop it from installing when download is complete and you find the file in the Download folder.

Edited by heath row

37 minutes ago, heath row said:

You must do it on a machine with no CbB installation, otherwise you will just get an update .exe I think .

They get stored in the windows Download folder from memory.

No.

If you download from the web page, you get the full installer.

maybe the mix recall function is applied? have not seen the case where the envelopes changed but i have had a few projects over the years where i was mixing it, then closed it, did some other work, re-opened it and suddenly the overall levels were way too hot, and sometimes i find i tweak the HW IO volume for something and forgot, but sometimes, when i checked my clip gain it was what i set it to but the volume was suddenly higher than when i had it open previous - i'd say 2-3 times over the last 2 years. i don't use mix recall (often) but i did notice several of my new projects since the last update or two, now create a mix recall folder.

• Like 1