2023.09 Feedback

Morten Saether

Splitting clips depends on Snap settings, if Snap is on - not Now Time position.  Turn Snap off to split anywhere.

Milton's issue looks like something else, tho.

BTW, some left-handed people switch mouse buttons to mirror right-handed operation.  :)

Edited by sjoens

7 minutes ago, sjoens said:

Splitting clips depends on Snap settings, if Snap is on - not Now Time position.  Turn Snap off to split anywhere.

Milton's issue looks like something else, tho.

BTW, some left-handed people switch mouse buttons to mirror right-handed operation.  :)

Yes.  

I discovered in Editing Preferences they were marked MERGE OLD AND NEW.

I checked REPLACE OLD WITH NEW and it returned to the behavior I expected.

image.png.e012393a96a050d4da47b3cd9a015131.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Keni said:

Just to note...

Though it's no longer getting locked up or crashing at startup, the opening time is considerably longer than ever before, No project, just the program itself

I disagree. The start-up of the Cakewalk app on my system itself and loading projects is somewhat faster with the latest version. and this latest version was already faster even before I did a clean OS re-install and full defrag. In the past it was installed on a SSD drive and should have been faster, but it was not. Now  I installed it to the default C drive (on a HDD) and opening it is really faster. And also on closing its getting closed much better.  Some of these speed-ups may be based on the clean re-install of the OS.   However, any sound content / samples /  IRs are stored on the SSD. And the projects itself are also stored on a different harddisk partitition.

1 hour ago, sunshine dreaming said:

I disagree. The start-up of the Cakewalk app on my system itself and loading projects is somewhat faster with the latest version. and this latest version was already faster even before I did a clean OS re-install and full defrag. In the past it was installed on a SSD drive and should have been faster, but it was not. Now  I installed it to the default C drive (on a HDD) and opening it is really faster. And also on closing its getting closed much better.  Some of these speed-ups may be based on the clean re-install of the OS.   However, any sound content / samples /  IRs are stored on the SSD. And the projects itself are also stored on a different harddisk partitition.

Interesting... Not the case here. It consistently takes it's time loading with spinner than ever before. This is a relatively new Computer build and essentially does nothing but Cakewalk/Sonar and related internet. I did not have this lag prior to this update. 2022.09 was much faster opening...

• Like 1

I encountered another issue : duplicating a frozen track ignores the FX effects in the duplicated track and shows them darker as if its "frozen" although the "freeze" button is not highlighted.

how to reproduce:

in the project file "freezing_track"  freeze the TTS-1 instrument track , as seen in project file "frozen_track",  which shows the track "frozen".

When duplicating the frozen TTS-1 track, the FX effects color stays darker and FX effects are not applied on the duplicated one.  clicking on it and changing settings on them visually works, but to no audio effect...

Adding a new FX effect does the same. No "normal" effects FX color and no effect at all...
See "duplicated_frozen_track" project file.

Also a bit weird is, that when I press "freeze" in the project file "freezing_track", then also the empty MIDI track
gets the "frozen" symbol, although its not related; maybe this is desired?!

duplicate_frozen_track.thumb.jpg.adfe99f592a3debc2a54df6bb6d20d79.jpg

duplicated_frozen_track.zip

Edited by sunshine dreaming

11 minutes ago, sunshine dreaming said:

I encountered another issue : duplicating a frozen track ignores the FX effects in the duplicated track and shows them darker as if its "frozen" although the "freeze" button is not highlighted.

how to reproduce:

in the project file "freezing_track"  freeze the TTS-1 instrument track , as seen in project file "frozen_track",  which shows the track "frozen".

When duplicating the frozen TTS-1 track, the FX effects color stays darker and FX effects are not applied on the duplicated one.  clicking on it and changing settings on them visually works, but to no audio effect...

Adding a new FX effect does the same. No "normal" effects FX color and no effect at all...
See "duplicated_frozen_track" project file.

Also a bit weird is, that when I press "freeze" in the project file "freezing_track", then also the empty MIDI track
gets the "frozen" symbol, although its not related; maybe this is desired?!

duplicate_frozen_track.thumb.jpg.adfe99f592a3debc2a54df6bb6d20d79.jpg

duplicated_frozen_track.zip 1.82 MB · 1 download

This is not new to this update, but it's not duplicating the frozen state. You're seeing the FX bin disabled there as it is on the frozen track, but since there isn't any rendered audio, the FX are just bypassed.

I've gone ahead and logged this on our end. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

This is not new to this update, but it's not duplicating the frozen state. You're seeing the FX bin disabled there as it is on the frozen track, but since there isn't any rendered audio, the FX are just bypassed.

thanks for logging it;

yes audio is bypassed, but if I copy the audio into that track there, the FX still does not get enabled.  (as seen in my "duplicated_frozen_track" profile file example)

1 hour ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

This expression "isn't new in this update" is interesting.
I have a suggestion that could perhaps help resolve bugs:

Why don't you post a version-specific topic that addresses something like a list of what you are actually looking to fix.

Thus, the large group of users, many including developers or former developers, could dedicate ourselves to helping them with solutions, simulating.

As it is, we, users, are left guessing on our side while on your side something else takes priority.

It's just a suggestion from someone who has worked in development for over 30 years.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

13 hours ago, Milton Sica said:

This expression "isn't new in this update" is interesting.
I have a suggestion that could perhaps help resolve bugs:

Why don't you post a version-specific topic that addresses something like a list of what you are actually looking to fix.

Thus, the large group of users, many including developers or former developers, could dedicate ourselves to helping them with solutions, simulating.

As it is, we, users, are left guessing on our side while on your side something else takes priority.

It's just a suggestion from someone who has worked in development for over 30 years.

I was simply stating I could reproduce the same behavior in the 2022.11 update, so it's not something that was introduced with the changes for new version. 

Let's please keep the thread on topic. 

• Like 5

17 hours ago, sunshine dreaming said:

yes audio is bypassed, but if I copy the audio into that track there, the FX still does not get enabled.  (as seen in my "duplicated_frozen_track" profile file example)

A few thoughts:

- Audio was not copied because Events was left unchecked in the Duplicate dialog. The whole point of freezing  an instrument track is to render the audio so it doesn't really make sense to duplicate a frozen Instrument track without including Events unless the intent is to create another "Live" Instrument track in which case all you have to do is re-enable the disabled FX bin and you're in business.

- The root of the problem is that duplicating an Instrument track requires inserting a new instance of the synth, and that new instance is not being put into the frozen state. But it wouldn't make sense to freeze a duplicate of an Instrument track in which Events have not been included in the duplication. This presents a logical conundrum that can only be avoided by forcing  all options to be enabled when duplicating a frozen Instrument track - Events, Properties (including the frozen state of the synth), Effects and Sends. The user shouldn't be allowed to uncheck any of these in the Duplicate dialog for an Instrument track.

- To my mind, the proper way to do this would be to create an unfrozen duplicate of the Instrument track with all options forcibly enabled (except clip-linking which should be disallowed to prevent yet more logical conundrums when one of the tracks is subsequently unfrozen and changes made to the MIDI), and freeze the new instance so it's referencing its own audio file and is completely independent. 

• Like 1

Ouch! I responded without noticing the new update!

Still trying to get it but I keep receiving the error message:

validateUpdateResponse: client request failed (0)

Overloaded server? or.....

Sheesh! Still the same.... I keep trying. Including closing and re-opening CbB but I continue to get this response.... I'll wait longer.... What else is there to do?

...and 45 minutes (or so) later, still the same.

Frustrating!

Edited by Keni

1 hour ago, Keni said:

Ouch! I responded without noticing the new update!

Still trying to get it but I keep receiving the error message:

validateUpdateResponse: client request failed (0)

Overloaded server? or.....

Sheesh! Still the same.... I keep trying. Including closing and re-opening CbB but I continue to get this response.... I'll wait longer.... What else is there to do?

...and 45 minutes (or so) later, still the same.

Frustrating!

@Keni if you use the Cakewalk installer tool off the CbB product page, that will get the update. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

@Keni if you use the Cakewalk installer tool off the CbB product page, that will get the update. 

Thanks Jonathan! Once again you are quick to the rescue!

I'm off to do it the long way! 😉

OK... Update finally installed.... this was a rough one though....

Not only wouldn't the updater respond, but after downloading the installer from the web page as suggested, when I ran it, nothing happened for near 5 minutes when I went to inspect. Seeing only a taskbar icon with nothing happening, I then opened Task Manager to end the process and try again but when I was about to proceed it notified me that setup was running, so I chanced a bit more wait and finally the installer ran. Changes in the install windows had me a bit uncertain of how to proceed without possibly wrecking my established setup (I hate having to rebuild that!) but finally it is installed and appears working.

Now gonna check for whether it has left me "signed in to Bandlab") as expected etc...

Not trying to be a pest, but...

Please get Sonar out soon so we can escape all this (almost) pointless issues with a software that's ending...

Thanks for everyone's hard work. It looks as though you Bakers really put a hard push into getting as many fixes as possible into this final release.... Many Kudos!

Keni

Edited by Keni