It's official: CbB will not continue for long.

John Vere

17 minutes ago, Lord Tim said:

... this is a remarkable conclusion to jump to here, I gotta say.

So summing up the facts that I listed you come to some other conclusion

- they are really well on schedule, or?

Just trying to set expectations right when "coming soon" would be and fully tested, polished and done with.

I wrote, take your time Bakers, but drip feed us something in between and we can wait....that's the essence of what I wrote....

Well, do we even know the schedule?

Nope.

Do we know how far along each of those new applications are?

Nope.

How are you jumping to the fact that the devs are stressed? 

They simply haven't divulged any specific timelines or prices publicly.

Everything else is pure speculation.

@Canopus made the best call of these new threads that just popped up: 

6 hours ago, Canopus said:

Why all this pointless speculation? Wait until Sonar is released and make your decision whether to buy or not based on the information given at that time. Until then, so many posts here are just uninformed guessing and spreading of FUD.

9 minutes ago, Lord Tim said:

How are you jumping to the fact that the devs are stressed? 

Out of experience, I am a retired programmer and had my own business.

- been there too many times

You make silly mistakes, like the early access that was released when not having time to really test things out that is released.

then I listed everything on the schedule right now

- consolidate CbB

- update to new Sonar(gui in the workings still)

- a completely new daw

this we know is on the schedule.

It's a lot of pressure getting these things right.

- there were the Roland sale

- the Gibson took over

- then Bandlab took over

- and now to go full commercial again

I say

- calm down Bakers, we can wait

- but drip feed us since we are starving for new information

. but get everything out when ready

Edited by Larioso

Hey guys, I've seen a couple people say that theyre not starting any new projects while waiting on the new Sonar. I'm wondering if they're saying this due to pricing concerns or because they fear problems carrying over their project to the new system.  

I mainly ask this cause when I downloaded this new EA version, it caused me problems so I had to revert back to an older version. I understand that theyre still working out the kinks but should I be concerned that my current project won't operate correctly with the new Sonar?

I'm just trying to figure out if I'm under somewhat of a time crunch(esp since I'm running an older version) or if I have nothing really the worry about as long as I buy the new Sonar.

Btw I understand nothing's guaranteed, I'm just reaching out for some educated opinions since I'm still wet behind the ears . Thanks 😉

From everything we've been told, Sonar will be 100% compatible with the current CbB. The initial release will mostly be the UI update and whatever bug fixes and a few features added since this version of CbB is officially released.

The EA release is pretty much exactly that - an Early Access, so the wider userbase can try it out on a MUCH larger range of environments to catch the stuff that the devs and beta team couldn't. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of EA for Sonar when it's out too for exactly the same reasons.

I think if anyone is holding out, it's more the unknown pricing structure rather than compatibility concerns.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, T Boog said:

Hey guys, I've seen a couple people say that theyre not starting any new projects while waiting on the new Sonar. I'm wondering if they're saying this due to pricing concerns or because they fear problems carrying over their project to the new system.  

I mainly ask this cause when I downloaded this new EA version, it caused me problems so I had to revert back to an older version. I understand that theyre still working out the kinks but should I be concerned that my current project won't operate correctly with the new Sonar?

I'm just trying to figure out if I'm under somewhat of a time crunch(esp since I'm running an older version) or if I have nothing really the worry about as long as I buy the new Sonar.

Btw I understand nothing's guaranteed, I'm just reaching out for some educated opinions since I'm still wet behind the ears . Thanks 😉

Nobody can say for sure what will happen with YOUR system. Every user case is different to the next.

But I updated to the EA on the first day it was available and haven't noticed a single thing wrong with it.

You WILL need to update it at some point because the existing servers which CbB use to refresh your activation will no longer be online. 

The way I see it, you have a choice of 4 courses of action:

1. Update to the final release and use that. This will mean no more updates or bug fixes
  2. Upgrade to Sonar when it becomes available
  3. Revert to using X2/X3/Platinum
  4. Don't do any of the above and stop using it after a period of (max) 6 months.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Most X.0 programs have an X.0.1 release shortly thereafter. Cakewalk has a history of introducing hotfixes when needed. I can personally vouch for that - several years ago I alerted Noel to a problem no one else caught, and there was a public hotfix in a week. 

So...yes, you have 6 months to decide if you want to go to the new Sonar, but that also means you have 6 months where you can chill and check out a somewhat later version with bug fixes. You don't have to use the very first release, you can wait for one or two "point" updates if they're needed, and see how things unfold. 

I look forward to seeing what the Bakers come up with. I'm encouraged that it's not being rushed to market.

• Like 8

Just to clarify in case some people are confused with all the FUD, what we just released was a good faith early access update for users of CbB, just because of the long wait since its last release.  It is NOT Sonar which is a different version that we will release later (most likely as a public beta initially).
The implication that this early access was rushed is doesn't make sense. This update has a very small set of changes that were made over a period of almost a year and have been widely tested internally and by beta testers. In my experience most problems that get reported with any new release tend to be either environmental or issues that are preexisting and completely unrelated to the new release. If there happen to be any NEW problems report them in the EA channel and we'll investigate them.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 2

56 minutes ago, Craig Anderton said:

Most X.0 programs have an X.0.1 release shortly thereafter. Cakewalk has a history of introducing hotfixes when needed. I can personally vouch for that - several years ago I alerted Noel to a problem no one else caught, and there was a public hotfix in a week. 

So...yes, you have 6 months to decide if you want to go to the new Sonar, but that also means you have 6 months where you can chill and check out a somewhat later version with bug fixes. You don't have to use the very first release, you can wait for one or two "point" updates if they're needed, and see how things unfold. 

I look forward to seeing what the Bakers come up with. I'm encouraged that it's not being rushed to market.

I can vouch for that as well.  A few years back I had a strange graphical issue and Noel contacted me to do a Zoom session.  After we spent some time troubleshooting, he identified the problem, gave me access to a patch and then rolled the patch into the next release.

It doesn't get any better than that. 

• Like 9

I started this thread because I find what Noel is saying as all good news for me I felt others would agree. 

I've held off on making any more tutorials about CbB because of the possible changes to the UI. In the first announcement it was not clear on the demise of CbB. Now it's clear, That's fine and probably in a year everyone will have totally forgotten about CbB and moved on.  

There will always be a tiny group of hold outs. There's a whole Face book page populated with Sonar Platinum holdouts  called the Sonar user group,  this will be hilarious because guess what will happen. They are asking questions like " Will the new Sonar be free for all us who paid Gibson a lot of money and got screwed over? " Do you feel that way? I don't because I just got 5 or more  years worth of free updates. I totally see no issues with what is happening. 

And the early access is working 100% for me 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, JohnnyV said:

I started this thread because I find what Noel is saying as all good news for me I felt others would agree. 

I've held off on making any more tutorials about CbB because of the possible changes to the UI. In the first announcement it was not clear on the demise of CbB. Now it's clear, That's fine and probably in a year everyone will have totally forgotten about CbB and moved on.  

There will always be a tiny group of hold outs. There's a whole Face book page populated with Sonar Platinum holdouts  called the Sonar user group,  this will be hilarious because guess what will happen. They are asking questions like " Will the new Sonar be free for all us who paid Gibson a lot of money and got screwed over? " Do you feel that way? I don't because I just got 5 or more  years worth of free updates. I totally see no issues with what is happening. 

And the early access is working 100% for me 

I certainly don't feel that way. I got over the Gibson debacle the day after they announced their intention to throw us to the wolves, fully prepared to stick with Splat or move to a new platform if it no longer worked. 

Which of course never happened. Certainly Bandlab don't owe us anything, thy can only be commended up to this point.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Craig Anderton said:

“The grass is not, in fact, always greener on the other side of the fence. No, not at all. Fences have nothing to do with it. The grass is greenest where it is watered. When crossing over fences, carry water with you and tend the grass wherever you may be.”

But also remember the words of Erma Bombeck: "The grass is always greener over the septic tank."

So you're saying we need to putrefy Sonar to make it greener. Noted   🚱

• Haha 4

Actually that old saying is questionable. Unless you have a very old and dangerous tank with a wooden lid, The grass will die over a certified modern tank because the soil heats up and  it’s not very deep . 

The grass does sometimes stays green in the winter because of the heat generated. 
If the grass is green over the septic field you’ve got another issue. 
But it is a great old piece of folklore most likely from long ago when septic tanks were sort of funky. 
So please if you re build Sonar build it over a tank with a concrete or fibreglass lid. 

Edited by JohnnyV
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

So you're saying we need to putrefy Sonar to make it greener. Noted   🚱

I think what Ms. Bombeck meant was that those who think the grass is greener on the other side might not want to dig too deep, because they might not like what they find :)

CbB works well for me. My only complaint is that the beta version of the anti-gravity module you shared a few years ago was never developed further. But, unleashing that kind of power could have unintended consequences. You probably did the right thing.

• Haha 6

24 minutes ago, Craig Anderton said:

My only complaint is that the beta version of the anti-gravity module you shared a few years ago was never developed further. But, unleashing that kind of power could have unintended consequences. You probably did the right thing.

This is why we never got the Cakewalk Hovercar, isn't it? :(

• Haha 1

1983 -Home Studio set up with 8 track Tape machine, mixing board, a few processors and an Amega or Atari computer and few hardware synths  for Midi =  $10,000. 

2023 - Home studio set up with audio interface, headphones, descent mike and near fields =$1,000. 

This seems contrary to things like the cost of a car or a case of beer and just about everything you purchase, 

Oh but I forgot, musicians are in a time warp..

1983 Gig = $100

2023 Gig = $100 

So if it takes playing 3 gigs to buy Sonar I'm in. 

• Like 3