My M Audio monitors died on me yesterday .

kennywtelejazz

I went through all the typical trouble shooting approaches , checking the cables , ground loops , electrical outlets , speaker cables , power cables, usb cables  ....ect ect ...

the powered speaker section  is simply toast .....I power it up and all I'm getting is super loud thuds...... it even has a burnt smell to it after I power it up and leave it on for a few moments .

I'm embarrassed to post a thread about it since my home studio set up consists primarily  of a small table in my dining room w a lap top ,a focusrite 2i4 , the formally working M Audio monitors and what ever assorted guitars, amps and pedals I may be using at the time ....

it is too soon for me to even figure out what I am going to do next since I live in an apt and I had to learn how to read lips when I watch television after a certain time of night.....

So let me keep it short and sweet! , ....

R  I P  M Audio monitors ....you served me well and contributed to some rather educational cringe worthy mixes ..... .

Good Riddance !!!!

:P

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz

'splody caps? 

I'm adding that to my tech-speak vocabulary.

Kenny, you may be able to order new amps from M-Audio and install them yourself. Probably only takes a screwdriver. Cheaper than new speakers, hopefully. Although you never know these days with manufacturers actively discouraging people from fixing their own stuff.

I have a pair of broken nearfields here myself. Can't bring myself to toss them, as they were the best speakers I ever had before they stopped working. But the manufacturer has discontinued them and the amplifiers are from some mystery company in China. Seems like damn near everything, even expensive things, are cheap crap nowadays.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Chip amp probably gave up the ghost. That's almost always what it is with these powered nearfields. Odd because it sounds like you weren't pushing them too hard.

If they were manufactured in the mid-late 00's, then it could be a 'splody electrolytic cap (or two) in the power supply section.

I picked these up brand new close to 14 / 15 years ago . In all truth these guys were youngsters around here.  Even the strings on my Bass guitar  have been over the age of 21 for the past 2 years now .. Thank you for your comment  😊

4 hours ago, craigb said:

RIP!

Oh man ! I sure hope I'm not next!

thanks !

2 hours ago, Grem said:

Sorry to hear of your monitor failure Kenny.

Thanks Grem !

all the best,

Kenny

6 hours ago, bitflipper said:

'splody caps? 

I'm adding that to my tech-speak vocabulary.

Kenny, you may be able to order new amps from M-Audio and install them yourself. Probably only takes a screwdriver. Cheaper than new speakers, hopefully. Although you never know these days with manufacturers actively discouraging people from fixing their own stuff.

I have a pair of broken nearfields here myself. Can't bring myself to toss them, as they were the best speakers I ever had before they stopped working. But the manufacturer has discontinued them and the amplifiers are from some mystery company in China. Seems like damn near everything, even expensive things, are cheap crap nowadays.

Good advice Dave ! for now I tucked them away  in a spare  kitchen shelf for now until I attempt to do a deep dive on finding out if I can troubleshoot and fix them on my own.

In the mean time since they are broken I am put in a position where I can't trust anything I hear over here only because I was able to work around the limitations of my room acoustics and keep them out of my  mix decisions by  keeping my volumes low and focusing on my EQ and song stage placement .....I did know enough about the sound I expected out of my speakers. FWIW ,  I view myself more as a player and not so much as an engineer so I always took into account that my mixes were the best I could do working around my current living circumstances .... in my mind they were always considered placeholder mix's ...

I worked in various music stores from the mid 70's until the late 80's.  I'm with you and I hear you loud and clear on the view you hold about  feeling a lot of gear made today expensive or cheap is utter cheap crap ....

Last year for my birthday I bought myself a new guitar I had always wanted ...At the time of my purchase it was 43 years old .....

thank you for posting ,

6 hours ago, bitflipper said:

' Seems like damn near everything, even expensive things, are cheap crap nowadays.

3 hours ago, Bapu said:

Heh heh!

Yep ! I know you know that one for sure !Bapu  :P

thanks all ,

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz

12 hours ago, bitflipper said:

I have a pair of broken nearfields here myself. Can't bring myself to toss them, as they were the best speakers I ever had before they stopped working. But the manufacturer has discontinued them and the amplifiers are from some mystery company in China.

So convert them from active to passive: wire them so that the amp part is out of the circuit. Get a nice little 35W stereo power amp to drive them.

• Great Idea 2

18 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Seems like damn near everything, even expensive things, are cheap crap nowadays.

8 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

it's all about the brand, brand, brand

I love a good dystopian conspiracy story! Now I'm  wondering if I should still see this one . Even though it got bad some reviews ......

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz

Hey Kenny,  the M-Audio were 5 inch speakers ?

If so, have a look at Adam T5V (these budget Adam series have 7 and 8'' models too).

I had the 7'', they sound very nice.

The 5'' should be around 300 a pair  (Adam are German, so expect good quality/customer service).

On internet reviews they seem hard to beat at their price..

61t9o-JAvek-L-AC-SY350-QL65.jpg 

Edited by Sheens

10 hours ago, Sheens said:

If so, have a look at Adam T5V (these budget Adam series have 7 and 8'' models too).

The 5'' should be around 300 a pair  (Adam are German, so expect good quality/customer service).

But will that come with Kenny's package? 🤔

13 hours ago, Sheens said:

Hi Sheens !

Right now I'm in the what am I gonna do phase trying to figure out what is out there in my price range  that will fit my needs .Sweetwater carries that brand and model and I have it bookmarked ..As far as the girl goes 👍I know exactly what I would like to do 👅 but I known deep down in my bones  it's never gonna happen :P

Thank you for the recommendation .

3 hours ago, craigb said:

But will that come with Kenny's package? 🤔

I got enough problems with my package and I don't need you bringing it up all the time .😜

3 hours ago, Sheens said:

yes Kenny will get a visit from UPS girl

ups.jpg

How many Hail Mary's do I have to say to make this one happen ?

2 hours ago, craigb said:

If this keeps up, Kenny's power supply might fry too! 😆

You can try to kill Kenny but you can't extinguish his flame . So if this happens the artist formerly known as Kenny will be going under the new screen name of Sparky !

Kenny

• Haha 2