question regarding the new update coming up

greg54

Something I'm not quite understanding.   When the new Cakewalk Sonar comes out soon, I know the updated free version will continue to function.  But what I am unclear about are older versions.  I have not updated in about 2-3 years, because the old CbB works really well for me with no issues as is.

And "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."  My question is, will the older versions cease to work when the last update is given?  Will only the newest version work?   Or will the older versions work but just not have support?

Read the announcement in the early access release.
The wording is that this will be the final release and you will need it installed if you want further activations down the road. 
I gleaned from that statement that you will therefore not be able to use older versions. Which is totally fine as why would you?  

Where as I agree with you and I am certainly one to carry on with  older software sometimes the last few years have been the most stable and every update has been even more stable. 
Your choice will be.

NoteSept 14, 2023.  Update what I originally said here as since this post I have gathered more accurate  information. 

Use Sonar 2017 or earlier. 

Purchase Sonar or Next. 

Change DAW. 

Edited by JohnnyV
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Byron Dickens said:

Why wouldn't you?

Well, I did.  :)   But I don't understand something  (and probably a lot of other things once I start using it).   In the photo below I circled the areas that are blank.  What's supposed to be there?

CakewalkBandlab2.png

has anyone had more crashes or failure for projects to load after installing this new 2023 update?  had more crashes last  night than in a year i think.  if cakewalk becomes subscription based i will probably change DAW's.  if its a reasonable 1x price wouldnt mind paying for it.  love this program and the fact i can upload to the bandlab website to collaborate with my band members

10 minutes ago, Brian A Menear said:

has anyone had more crashes or failure for projects to load after installing this new 2023 update?  had more crashes last  night than in a year i think.  if cakewalk becomes subscription based i will probably change DAW's.  if its a reasonable 1x price wouldnt mind paying for it.  love this program and the fact i can upload to the bandlab website to collaborate with my band members

You know it's a beta, don't you?

• Like 1

On 9/2/2023 at 3:37 PM, JohnnyV said:

Where as I agree with you and I am certainly one to carry on with  older software sometimes the last few years have been the most stable and every update has been even more stable. 
Your choice will be. 

Use SonarX3 or earlier 

Use the last release of CbB ( this upcoming release) 

Purchase Sonar or Next. 

X3? Why not Platinum?

Just now, Bristol_Jonesey said:

X3? Why not Platinum?

Ah! good question but remember, X3 is the last version of Sonar that can be activated totally off line without a server.

Bandlab has no obligation to offer the older Buggy version for download anymore. 

But I was guessing wrong about the continuation of CbB read this from another thread: 

Noel Borthwick: 

To be clear, there will be no more feature updates or bug fixes to the CbB codebase. 
The only reason it's being kept active for now is to provide users time to transition to the upcoming (paid) Sonar product. 
If you do intend to use Cakewalk please consider moving to Sonar (when its available obviously). We also plan on having a public beta release for it soon once the user interface is complete, so you can make up your mind. There is no change from the workflow of Cbb so the transition should be effortless.

If you have requests or bug reports continue to post them but they will only be fixed in the new Sonar release.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JohnnyV said:

Ah! good question but remember, X3 is the last version of Sonar that can be activated totally off line without a server.

Bandlab has no obligation to offer the older Buggy version for download anymore. 

But I was guessing wrong about the continuation of CbB read this from another thread: 

Noel Borthwick: 

To be clear, there will be no more feature updates or bug fixes to the CbB codebase. 
The only reason it's being kept active for now is to provide users time to transition to the upcoming (paid) Sonar product. 
If you do intend to use Cakewalk please consider moving to Sonar (when its available obviously). We also plan on having a public beta release for it soon once the user interface is complete, so you can make up your mind. There is no change from the workflow of Cbb so the transition should be effortless.

If you have requests or bug reports continue to post them but they will only be fixed in the new Sonar release.

Yeah! This was a slap in the face. I still feel it, because its not what was said by other staff members, or in the EA release notes on the site. It kind of makes you negative to hear this- well, it stopped me from carrying on with what I was mixing and testing. 

2 hours ago, Brian A Menear said:

There shouldn't be any more crashes than the older versions but if you can send across any dump files we'll certainly look into it. Please post any problem reports in the main EA thread. The primary changes to the current version of CbB are bug fixes and Microsoft tool updates, nothing major has changed.

Re Sonar I can assure you that pricing will be very reasonable. May be even better than you expect :)
Regarding the integration with BandLab the new Sonar is greatly improved in this regard. It also supports direct project interchange with the new Cakewalk Next product which is natively integrated with BandLab. For example, in Next you can download a project from bandlab and use it exactly as it was with its native effects. Then you can transfer it to Sonar if you so choose for mastering etc.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

There shouldn't be any more crashes than the older versions but if you can send across any dump files we'll certainly look into it. Please post any problem reports in the main EA thread. The primary changes to the current version of CbB are bug fixes and Microsoft tool updates, nothing major has changed.

Re Sonar I can assure you that pricing will be very reasonable. May be even better than you expect :)
Regarding the integration with BandLab the new Sonar is greatly improved in this regard. It also supports direct project interchange with the new Cakewalk Next product which is natively integrated with BandLab. For example, in Next you can download a project from bandlab and use it exactly as it was with its native effects. Then you can transfer it to Sonar if you so choose for mastering etc.

Because I think it's a huge mistake in the company's strategy to go for a free-pay movement and an application that, we know, has numerous bugs. The question is quite simple and direct: who will pay for a tire that, at any moment, will present a puncture ????

The least one would expect is that the application delivers everything it promises without errors.

You're talking about a "banana" as if nobody knows what's inside the skin.

Excuse me, but your corporatism adds nothing to what we, users, want.

If we're going to pay for the "banana" we want to know everything inside and how it works.

• Meh 6

Just had to give that a thumbs down. Sorry  Another( person? ) who must struggle ordering food in a restaurant if the menu is printed in a font they don't personally agree with,, "Waiter, can I please have a menu printed in a different font?   And yesterday the dinner was free why are you charging for the food now? " 

• Like 1

Good thing we're not talking about cars. I don't know one person in the whole world who would buy an automobile knowing it has a known amount of defects/bugs.

That's what I'm talking about. If it were a car, would you buy it and put your life/family in it?

And I close my posts on the topic.

• Meh 1