Time Slips Away.

John Vere

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14648196   ( updated version Sept 16 2023 ) 

I haven't posted here for way to long. I keep forgetting how entertaining the song forum is. I just spent a half an hour listening and enjoying the creations. I then thought I should post something. 

I wrote this for my 70th Birthday last January.  

Song facts. It was one of those songs I quickly wrote down scratch lyrics and I had a good idea for the arrangement. Being in a hurry to get something recorded before it vanished from my head I loaded a basic project added an extra track for the guitar and put it down using just the metronome.  As you know the default is 120 BPM. The next day I fleshed it out with drums bass and a few other guitar parts and after the drums where down I turned off the metronome. ?? It became obvious that 120BPM metronome actually sounds like a clock ticking was going to have to stay. I went in a found some better tick -tock sounds in the metronomes collection. I had to actually watch my own tutorial on how to record the metronome as I had totally forgotten how to do it. Right,  use an auxiliary track! 

This song has been going over real good at my live shows. People seem to "get it" 

Edited by JohnnyV
Updated version
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, JohnnyV said:

tick -tock sounds

John, I sometimes forget to turn of the monitors when I live track, and the metronome ends up on the recording, but it never turns out like this, where it fits in the song.

I like the lyrics a lot.  Time truly does slip away.

I thought it was a solid recording, but I don't know much about recording or how to make stuff sound good, I can only comment that the song made me think and feel.

Also, I admire the fact that you actually play out live, that is so awesome.  I like the video too, something I'll probably never be able to do.  Keep on keeping on!

• Like 1

Really wonderful tune John! Great performance in production, and can definitely relate to the lyrics! Very funny and coincidental, I just finished up a song using a ticking clock to set and keep the rhythm (called it "In Time"). Ticked in at the beginning and out at the end just like yours! I guess great minds think alike... or maybe just old ones, lol! 😂 Keep on keeping on brother! 

Edited by Ross Smithe
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone for your kind feedback. I actually now have a remix where I fixed so very very small things that bugged me. 

First was the very first tick was not loud enough because it was on zero of the time line. I was apprehensive of turning on Ripple edit and dragging the whole song 1 measure but it worked. 
The other was in the 2 measure of the organ solo I was hearing something wrong. Looking at the midi data I couldn’t see anything out of place. So I thought I’d just re draw the glitch note and after I deleted the note there was a hidden note underneath! That’s what caused the cut off. 
This is why it takes me 20 years to finish songs. 

Take Note that I updated the link to on Sept 16 2023 to fix these few mistakes. 

Edited by JohnnyV

Hi John . . . enjoyed this one very much ! . . . you ever listen to Blue Rodeo ?  . . . when that organ solo cut in I was transported there. Your song idea and the lyric are very well conceived, I totally relate.  This a really great recording as well, everything is clear and blends perfectly together . . . in fact I did a test and listened again on my iPhone speakers . . . yep you've nailed it, it's all there !

My compliments to the chef !

• Like 1

10 hours ago, noynekker said:

Hi John . . . enjoyed this one very much ! . . . you ever listen to Blue Rodeo ?  .

Yes for sure and I would say they are defiantly part of my sound.  My son has had the honor of playing Bass for Jim Cuddy a few times. I'm a long time Country Rocker at heart. Jimmy Ranken is another person I try to emulate in my recordings. 

I have never really featured a keyboard in my songs but over time my playing has improved. To the point that I was asked to play keyboard live in a band over last winter so was really getting into it. Once again this leads to me going over all 36 of my songs and redoing the keyboard parts which where sort of mostly lame.  

My Cakewalk Band which is on almost every song includes the DB 33, Lounge Lizard, True Pianos and my new toys are Glassy and Sweetcase. I'm a huge Wurly/Rhodes fan.  I still have Model T on a few songs but it's 32 bit so it makes me nervous. I have it frozen. 

Good to here that the song is translating to other systems well. That's a huge project of mine that's taken a lot of time to achieve. I'm not sure what You Tube does but it's a down side of releasing music on that format is you sort of loose control, just like MP3 uploads.  When I'm, done I will share my workflow in a tutorial.