Steinberg Summer Deals

cclarry

FYI, Padshop 2, Retrologue 2, and HALion Sonic with Pro/Artist/Basic sets are included with VST Live Elements/Pro, pretty good for $30/$50.  Padshop 2 is currently $65 and Retrologue 2 is currently $50.  If nothing else, you can get VST Live for the instruments.

For those looking for an alternative to MainStage or Gig Performer (for live performance), this is worth considering.  GP is more mature, but Steinberg has been actively updating VST Live since its release just over a year ago (currently on its 16th release).

Edited by ALC
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cubase not included - although there was a sale last month.

Just speculating (!) but I suspect Cubase 13 is going to drop very (very?) soon. 

Assuming they do a grace period, as they have previously, then they don't want the sale upgrades to be in the grace period hence they did the Cubase one earlier  - also meaning we are not going to see Nuendo 13 until November.

Again, assuming that they do the same as previously - if you are looking to upgrade from an earlier version of Nuendo then this might be a good time....but don't activate until N13 is announced/released - they usually (!) give you the latest version when you activate.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, simon said:

Cubase not included - although there was a sale last month.

Just speculating (!) but I suspect Cubase 13 is going to drop very (very?) soon. 

Assuming they do a grace period, as they have previously, then they don't want the sale upgrades to be in the grace period hence they did the Cubase one earlier  - also meaning we are not going to see Nuendo 13 until November.

Again, assuming that they do the same as previously - if you are looking to upgrade from an earlier version of Nuendo then this might be a good time....but don't activate until N13 is announced/released - they usually (!) give you the latest version when you activate.  

i am waiting for Cubase upgrade deal. hope the new 13 is stable

2 hours ago, Spice3d said:

.... but Halion has always been interesting. Have I been missing out on anything cool from Steinberg? 🤔

Yeah....Halion  :)

No snark intended - Halion is probably the most powerful piece of music software (DAWs notwithstanding) I have.   It's structure is very complex, and many people just don't get along with it (much the same is said for UVI Falcon as well).  

I really dig it though - I still struggle with its structure, but you can get some truly amazing sounds with it.

1 hour ago, husker said:

No snark intended - Halion is probably the most powerful piece of music software (DAWs notwithstanding) I have.   It's structure is very complex, and many people just don't get along with it (much the same is said for UVI Falcon as well).  

I really dig it though - I still struggle with its structure, but you can get some truly amazing sounds with it.

Just to clarify, the version of Halion that comes with VST Live Elements/Pro is Halion Sonic SE 3 which is the (older) free version of Halion, kind of like the player version of Kontakt. It can load 3rd party libraries but you cannot create your own instruments in it. Halion (including the free version) is at version 7. The full version of Halion is mucho buckos. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Doug Rintoul said:

Just to clarify, the version of Halion that comes with VST Live Elements/Pro is Halion Sonic SE 3 which is the (older) free version of Halion, kind of like the player version of Kontakt. It can load 3rd party libraries but you cannot create your own instruments in it. Halion (including the free version) is at version 7. The full version of Halion is mucho buckos. 

Correct, that's what's listed in the product description, but when you install, you get HALion Sonic 7 (when they released 7, they made the numbering consistent between HALion and HALion Sonic).

• Like 1

Just now, ALC said:

Correct, that's what's listed in the product description, but when you install, you get HALion Sonic 7 (when they released 7, they made the numbering consistent between HALion and HALion Sonic).

Kind of figured that was the case. I was just going by the product description.

20 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

HALion Sonic 7 is free to everyone, SE3 is vestigial. Don't install it. Install Sonic 7 instead. 

Eventually the package and/or description will be updated to remove SE3, which is no longer supported or developed. 

Edited by iNate
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Spice3d said:

I've been on the sidelines for Steinberg stuff, but Halion has always been interesting. Have I been missing out on anything cool from Steinberg? 🤔

Steinberg VST Live is new (just over a year old) ... it's a VST host for live performance.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2023 at 12:27 PM, husker said:

Well, they're mega synths.

I think HALion is better than Falcon.  I have both, and even HALion 6 I did find easier to use... and it's an actual... sampler - so I actually had more uses for it.  Also, you can package your stuff in VSTSound Archives, which is not possible with Falcon.  That would require licensing from UVI.

I honestly have never found Falcon to be better in terms of usability.  I think both are different in terms of layout, but both suffered from some of the same issues - though HALion seems to be the one that received the crux of those complaints. Falcon, I think, is still not great with multi-core usage (probably still pegged to one core).

Falcon does have some nice expansions, but there aren't really that many and I'm not sure I would buy it again if I could revisit the choice.  I don't think they are worth the outlay.  I could get equal value from NI Play Series instruments and spend far less overall.  HALion has better Synths built on the platform, though, and some of the higher end libraries will outcompete the UVI stuff, which I find decidedly lower mid-range (but above e.g. IK Multimedia).  Nothing that isn't a Falcon Expansion requires Falcon, though.  You just use UVI Workstation for that stuff and move on.

Edited by iNate
  • Like 1