Hotone's VSTOMP amp and cab sim is $9.99

cclarry

@Byron Dickens

Clearly you are happy with your 2204, as well you should be. I am well versed in pretty much all things Marshall. (Only the 900’s are “lacking” IMNSHO). 
I build “channel switchers” and they never quite sound “right” until they get to a level where they “breathe”. I’ve yet to find any “master volume” amp that does NOT suffer from the same issue. 
The “dimed”plexi thru 8 pre rolas is a rare treat (prefer the 20 watt speakers, but to each his own) and the “gold standard” for ME! YMMV. 
There is a “thump” (for want of a better term) that the plexi gives you that I never get with “modern” amps; but again that’s just me. 
I would remind you that all tweed and black face Fenders were “under speakered”, as are AC-30’s etc. They all, in my experience, exhibit some degree of “excursion” when cranked. And let’s be honest, most of us run them on “eleven”.

So “physics” aside, I’m pretty sure “excursion” is a thing. But again maybe it’s just me?

BTW no one has ever accused me of having “golden ears”. 
Would love to have a brew or two and debate, compare notes, etcetra…

So flame away my friend (I have broad shoulders) most of the time your responses here are “spot on”, albeit a bit caustic (many times deservedly so)

t

• Like 1

@DeeringAmps

Thanks.

There has been such a rash of snowflakes around here lately that it is refreshing to see someone who will spar without wetting his panties.

I think you and I are from different eras and are  therefore after different things. Glorious as it is, the dimed Plexi pushing low powered speakers is not the sound I'm after.

The 2204, as I'm sure you know, is a much higher gain amp. To me, it sounds way better backed off a little. Past around 7 - 7 1/2 on the preamp volume and notes start to loose definition and clarity. Somewhere just before  8 is where the power amp starts to saturare and compress and much past that it starts to get spongy and loose in the low end. Speaker distortion is not much my thing either.

Crazy how this brouhaha started because I made an offhand comment about not liking to scroll through presets in response to someone claiming something to the effect that captures are so much better than sims.

I don't know why it still does, because I suppose I should be used to it by now, but it absolutely befuddles me that some people take it as a personal attack whenever someone disagrees with or questions their own approach and go all monkey brain and act butthurt.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TheSteven said:

Website now says "SOLD OUT"
Was I the only one who bought this?

I copped it.  

It wasn’t an entirely smooth process for me.  Took a couple days to get the serial.  Then I had to create an account, which I already did, then apply that serial to the account.  Then I had to email them to get the download link.  Once you open the plug in, it’s in demo mode, but you enter your username and password and it phone home’s to authorize it.  Not a huge deal, but if you expect to start using it instantly, you might be disappointed.  

I just scratched the surface with it, but it surprised me that it wasn’t bad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, e-cue said:

I copped it.  

It wasn’t an entirely smooth process for me.  Took a couple days to get the serial.  Then I had to create an account, which I already did, then apply that serial to the account.  Then I had to email them to get the download link.  Once you open the plug in, it’s in demo mode, but you enter your username and password and it phone home’s to authorize it.  Not a huge deal, but if you expect to start using it instantly, you might be disappointed.  

I just scratched the surface with it, but it surprised me that it wasn’t bad.

I never got an email confirming purchase, etc.  I got the serial from tech support and then had to go through 'help center' to redeem it.
The process took a couple of days.

9 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

Do you have a paid version of ToneX?

I have all the AmpliTube stuff (not ToneX) and all the Kuassa stuff and about a hundred other amp sims. 
I just went and bought Vstomp anyway. Got the code almost straight away. Writ to support for the download link and got a reply straight away again. Took about 2 minutes to install and activate it. Just about to try it now. 
Someone above mentioned an amp pack. Any idea what it is and where it is on the website?

5 hours ago, MrFigg said:

I have all the AmpliTube stuff (not ToneX) and all the Kuassa stuff and about a hundred other amp sims. 
I just went and bought Vstomp anyway. Got the code almost straight away. Writ to support for the download link and got a reply straight away again. Took about 2 minutes to install and activate it. Just about to try it now. 
Someone above mentioned an amp pack. Any idea what it is and where it is on the website?

Everyone has different needs, I have tons of amp sims but given the choice between owning everything other than Tonex or Tonex, I'd literally pick Tonex.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Brian Walton said:

Everyone has different needs, I have tons of amp sims but given the choice between owning everything other than Tonex or Tonex, I'd literally pick Tonex.

Yeah. I don’t doubt it’s good. I was really disappointed with AmpliTube but have nothing against IK. I’m surprised how much I like VStomp. I really wasn’t expecting much. Clean tones are good  

I’ve got a Fender HotRod Deluxe and an AC30 in my studio. they’re the amps for me. 

• Like 1

I haven't tried  VStomp with clean tones yet but happy with it, as I mentioned previously it as good or better than a most of the amp sims I own.

A question to those of you creating ToneX captures (since it's better been brought up multiple times on this thread already) - are you using the TONEX Capture Re-amp Box?

Edited by TheSteven
correct typo

7 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

I haven't tried  VStomp with clean tones yet but happy with it, as I mentioned previously it as good or better than a most of the amp sims I own.

A question to those of you creating ToneX captures (since it's better brought up multiple times on this thread already) - are you using the TONEX Capture Re-amp Box?

I'm using the axe I/o for ease of setup but any reamp box will do along with another audio interface.  

Outside of some pretty unique gear I have access to the reality is there are lots of people that have packs or free quality captures of the usual suspects.   

Like the example above there a plenty of ac30 models out there, and from various time periods because for those that don't know an ac30 you buy today is not the same thing as a number of variations over the decades where other brands have done a better job renaming amps when a circuit changes.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

Yes indeed. I pre ordered TONEX MAX so have had it since day 1, as well as MAX I own all of the Amalgam Audio capture packs and a few selected packs from other vendors, I personally don't bother with the ToneNet, went through a similar thing way back with BIAS Amp, no thanks, comercial packs only for me, no more time sucking rabbit holes ;)

For me personally TONEX stands head and shoulders above all other Amp Sims, of which I also own just about all of them. I've dropped and no longer follow most of them, but I keep buying everything Kuassa, Nembrini and Softube release,  don't use them after an initial checkout, but I like to support those 3 because you never know, they may jump onboard the new wave and push the envelope.

It'll be an exciting day when something comes along and tops TONEX, whatever it is I'll be first in line, that will be one hell of a unit, might even be TONEX II, IK would be wise to jump on some of it's missteps from this round, although some which can for the most part be taken up by using TONEX from within Amplitube 5, and if they keep improving on what it has already done, the mind boggles.

Edited by heath row
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, heath row said:

Yes indeed. I pre ordered TONEX MAX so have had it since day 1, as well as MAX I own all of the Amalgam Audio capture packs and a few selected packs from other vendors, I personally don't bother with the ToneNet, went through a similar thing way back with BIAS Amp, no thanks, comercial packs only for me, no more time sucking rabbit holes ;)

For me personally TONEX stands head and shoulders above all other Amp Sims, of which I also own just about all of them. I've dropped and no longer follow most of them, but I keep buying everything Kuassa, Nembrini and Softube release,  don't use them after an initial checkout, but I like to support those 3 because you never know, they may jump onboard the new wave and push the envelope.

It'll be an exciting day when something comes along and tops TONEX, whatever it is I'll be first in line, that will be one hell of a unit, might even be TONEX II, IK would be wise to jump on some of it's missteps from this round, although some which can for the most part be taken up by using TONEX from within Amplitube 5, and if they keep improving on what it has already done, the mind boggles.

Amalgam is also my go to (wish I owned all of them).  But I do have all of ToneJunkie (thanks to the pricing system) and a few from others as well.

That is certainly the least effort to excellent results route.  But I will say a handful of my favorite profiles were not aftermarket packs.  But that can feel more like a needle in a haystack.

And as someone that has done over 400 profiles, I can say it is very time consuming and not every capture is what it should be.  

I was capturing one of the most valuable amps ever made and it was frustrating to be there in the studio with limited time and doing advanced captures and having two profiles (which takes hours - and on some computers would have literally been a about 2 days of computer processing for 2 images)  to basically sound corrupted.  Took another capture and it was arguably the best I've heard from anyone.  But that time cost me more capture opportunities.

Edited by Brian Walton
  • Like 1