Hotone's VSTOMP amp and cab sim is $9.99

cclarry

45 minutes ago, Jason Neudorf said:

I love hotone's little 5w amp heads.

Does anyone have anything positive to say about this VST though? Chinese companies like hotone have a tendency to have really poor support, and one forum member was complaining about its stability.

the 5w amps are currently on sale for $69 ($30 off)
They sound nice and even have FX loops, but don't need another amp 

If I was to pick one up I'd probably go for this one, though most of the others sound nice as well
https://shop.hotoneaudio.com/products/heart-attack
https://www.hotoneaudio.com/products/nano-legacy/heart-attack

I tried the VST demo.  For rock it sounds better than a number of other sims I have. Don't have anything on hand to test the clean or chime tones and need to run some errands so don't have the time to hook up a guitar right now.
I bought it but haven't yet received my license - website says order is waiting to be fulfilled.  Probably requires a human to process order.

35 minutes ago, Byron Dickens said:

I couldn't care less about scrolling through other people's presets for hours trying to find something that sounds almost right....

Or you can buy a plugin that will never sound or feel right.

Yes a lot of what is on tonenet simply isn't all that inspiring but I've been able to find quite a bit of good stuff easily, and also have captured some of my own gear.

Now that they released some collections from 3rd parties, I'd suggest typing those user names in and grab the ones they gave for free.  Those amps alone can provide a wealth of quality sound if you take some time to adjust the eq and gain for your own taste.  

I captured a bunch of amp sims using TONEX not only to try them in a pedal board but also to compare to real amp captures.  Almost all 150 slots on the pedal got taken up by real gear captures after doing comparisons.  A few exceptions exist, but those will likely be on the chopping block.

If you have good IRs Tonex has replaced my extensive amp sim collection.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Byron Dickens said:

I couldn't care less about scrolling through other people's presets for hours trying to find something that sounds almost right....

Then you sir are missing out on the best Amp Sim there is due to your total misunderstanding. I have been onboard since day one and have never and will never spent one minute scrolling and trolling through ToneNet to get what I want.

oh, and what I have sounds more than "almost right" in fact it sounds very right.

I Pre-Ordered so I could get it on day one, I knew what was comming, and come it did. I have TONEX MAX, which regardless of what anyone may say, (usually those who don't have it) could be more than enough on it's own, but as we plugin addict types are, among many others there is Amalgam Audio, probably the best

https://www.amalgamcaptures.com/tonex

I have everything they make.

Edited by heath row
  • Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, heath row said:

Then you sir are missing out on the best Amp Sim there is due to your total misunderstanding. I have been onboard since day one and have never and will never spent one minute scrolling and trolling through ToneNet to get what I want.

Whatever.

I have a 1979 Marshall JMP Mk II 50w Master Lead  sitting in my room.  I get what I want with the flick of a switch

1 hour ago, Brian Walton said:

Or you can buy a plugin that will never sound or feel right.

Or I can plug into the afforementioned Marshall 2204....

• Like 2

Whatever.

I have a 1979 Marshall JMP Mk II 50w Master Lead  sitting in my room.  I get what I want with the flick of a switch

Yeah, who hasn't? but the convenience isn't there, especially when the sound and the feel can't really be differentiated between, and all those different textures and iconic sounds from different eras and manufacturers are available to you at the flick of a switch, or press of a button.

Edited by heath row

2 hours ago, Byron Dickens said:

Whatever.

That's why I lately purchased a Marshall Studio Classic, remembering the great sound of the JCM800 that I once owned. And it did not disappoint me, they still make great amps!

I still prefer real amps over simulations, but YMMV!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Byron Dickens said:

Whatever.

There is a time and place for both.  You always want to play at that kind of volume?  I can't imagine having to blast a PA system in my home just to play along with a track.  Sure , sometimes but every time?

You could capture the amp and get the settings you like to pull them up at anytime.  I've done so with an amp that is far more difficult to capture than a 2204 and while it isn't the same thing as playing it in the room with a 4x12 with pre-rolla 30s in it...it does sound and feel quite close to what the experience is like using it in a studio where the cab is isolated and all you really experience is the micd tone.  And my house isn't sound proof enough to make a 125db amp not bleed everywhere.

Edited by Brian Walton

Kemper (using Rig Manager) is a similar scenario.

There are thousands of Profiles that sound terrible.

I hear the new "Liquid Profiles"... with modeled Tone Stacks sound excellent.

Pretty amazing coming from a 12+ year-old piece of hardware.

FWIW, I didn't get ToneX to browse thru other peoples Captures.

I got ToneX to Capture my own amps/pedals.

IK should update ToneX so it can run multiple Captures simultaneously.

ie:  It would be great to run an Amp/Cab Capture... with a separate drive/boost Capture.

If you use ToneX within Amplitube 5, it's a lot more flexible.

Edited by Jim Roseberry
  • Like 2

Two words:

Power Attenuator.

As someone who has access to Ken Fischer of Trainwreck amps prototype hand built attenuator and can say with some confidence that a power attenuator is a pretty significant compromise to sound and response.  

Captures on the otherhand can be made at full tilt so you don't have to endure that again.  

The problem with an attenuator is you take the speaker out of the equation. Great amps are a three legged stool. 
Preamp, power amp and speaker. “Excursion” is a key to the plexi tone. 

2 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

4x12 with pre-rolla 30s in it..

Yep, perfect example. No excursion and tone is compromised…

t

#1: A JMP 2204 is not a Plexi. It is a master volume amp and relatively little of the tone comes from the power section.

#2: "The problem with an attenuator is you take the speaker out of the equation?" What the hell are you talking about?  The power attenuator goes between the amp and the speaker.

#3: Excursion? You mean the speaker moving?  Funny, nobody complains about a lack of that with small 20, 15 or 5 watt amps.

#4: Compromised tone? Ever heard of the Fletcher-Munson curves?  What do you think happens to all this "tone" out of that 120db + cranked monster when you record it and play it back at reasonable volumes? That's not "compromised tone," that's physics.

Which brings us to

#5: Not only does no one in the audience know or care, all you golden-eared wonder boys who swear you can tell the difference between real amps, sims and captures fall apart when confronted with science. You know, like blind tests and eliminating variables....

You get bigger variations in tone by moving the microphone a fraction of an inch.