Solid State Logic SSL DeEss Sale $29.99

Marina

3 hours ago, Marina said:

Having read this a few days ago I hope that @Bapu will really love this one.

Audiodeluxe is offering a SSL DeEss sale for $29.99. More details here: https://www.audiodeluxe.com/products/audio-plugins/solid-state-logic-ssl-deess

So now can you please tell me when the G3MultibusComp and SSL 4KB are on sale for $29.99 each? 😂

Edited by Bapu
  • Great Idea 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Bapu said:

So now can you [lease tell me when the G3MultibusComp and SSL 4KB are on sale for $29.99 each? 😂

If only i could know :D 

Btw do you have any idea is DeEss’s Brighten function of any good use? I have Essence and I’ll be basically skipping this sale, because of feature overlap between both deessers, but still I see that SSL’s deesser has Brighten which sounds interesting…

Edited by Marina

11 minutes ago, Marina said:

If only i could know :D 

Btw do you have any idea is DeEss’s Brighten function of any good use? I have Essence and I’ll be basically skipping this sale, because of feature overlap between both deessers, but still I see that SSL’s deesser has Brighten which sounds interesting…

I think it helps in certain situations. It definitely not a one-size-fits-all solution.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Nick Blanc said:

That relative threshold seems useful. I'm no expert on de-essers, so are there any other that do that? I got a couple, so maybe I'm already set.

This looks similar to the DMG Essence’s knee function:

”The Knee parameter allows you to configure a soft-knee around the Threshold, which effectively widens the threshold, so signals below the Threshold will still receive some gain-reduction, and gain reduction will increase gently as the level of signal increases.”

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Marina said:

”The Knee parameter allows you to configure a soft-knee around the Threshold, which effectively widens the threshold, so signals below the Threshold will still receive some gain-reduction, and gain reduction will increase gently as the level of signal increases.”

I keep forgetting about DMG! I have Tracklimit and perhaps even Trackcomp 2 (have to check when I'm home). Those are great products.

1 hour ago, Nick Blanc said:

I keep forgetting about DMG! I have Tracklimit and perhaps even Trackcomp 2 (have to check when I'm home). Those are great products.

I have Essence, Limitless & TrackComp 2 and I’m also happy with DMG’s  plugins quality and tweakability.

3 hours ago, Marina said:

Yeah kinda, but that's the worst definition of  knee (for compressors, limiter, de-essers) I think that I've seen.

"A soft knee setting applies compression differently to a hard knee setting. A soft knee setting will apply the compression gradually until the full ratio amount is reached. This makes the transition from uncompressed to compressed smoother and more transparent."
quoted from: https://www.mixinglessons.com/knee-setting-on-a-compressor/    (saved me from word-smithing from memory)

With soft knee the compression starts at a lower ratio once it hits threshold, signals blow threshold are not compressed.

I've got great respect for DMG but he needs to talk to his technical writer.

Edit: 
I've been looking into this further...
Apparently some systems classify the threshold as starting midpoint on the knee when there is a knee - so viewed from that perspective DMG's definition is correct. 

Edited by TheSteven
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheSteven said:

Yeah kinda, but that's the worst definition of  knee (for compressors, limiter, de-essers) I think that I've seen.

"A soft knee setting applies compression differently to a hard knee setting. A soft knee setting will apply the compression gradually until the full ratio amount is reached. This makes the transition from uncompressed to compressed smoother and more transparent."
quoted from: https://www.mixinglessons.com/knee-setting-on-a-compressor/    (saved me from word-smithing from memory)

With soft knee the compression starts at a lower ratio once it hits threshold, signals blow threshold are not compressed.

I've got great respect for DMG but he needs to talk to his technical writer.

Edit: 
I've been looking into this further...
Apparently some systems classify the threshold as starting midpoint on the knee when there is a knee - so viewed from that perspective DMG's definition is correct. 

Thank you for digging into it. So basically SSL’s DeEss relative threshold is likely comparable to Essence’s Knee.

1 hour ago, Marina said:

Thank you for digging into it. So basically SSL’s DeEss relative threshold is likely comparable to Essence’s Knee.

From what I understand they are not the same thing.

Picture this - you have a vocal where the de-esser kicks in 10% of the time.
Now you drop the gain on the track - other de-essers will now kick in much less because the track is quieter but the detection threshold is still the same.
With relative threshold you still have it kicking in 10% of the time because threshold is relative to content not a set threshold triggering level.
So this way your quieter vocals sections aren't more sibilant than the loud ones.
At least that's what I'm gleaming from what the video was saying.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

So this way your quieter vocals sections aren't more sibilant than the loud ones.

Thanks for explaining. I probably misunderstood something and I’m blaming it on my English. What I got from the Essence manual file was that “signals below the Threshold will still receive some gain-reduction, and gain reduction will increase gently as the level of signal increases” in other words. that gain-reduction will be applied even for sounds below the given threshold, warranting even sibilance reduction in every case within reach of the soft knee. I have to test it this weekend to see if that’s really the case.

I’m mostly using deesser in audio restoration, so I guess variable threshold might be more useful outside audio post.

Edited by Marina
  • Like 1

From what I understand they are not the same thing.

Picture this - you have a vocal where the de-esser kicks in 10% of the time.
Now you drop the gain on the track - other de-essers will now kick in much less because the track is quieter but the detection threshold is still the same.
With relative threshold you still have it kicking in 10% of the time because threshold is relative to content not a set threshold triggering level.

Thanks for figuring it out. I suspected as much. Bought it for this reason. Should be a handy tool. 

I use a lot of de-essing in my productions, but mostly on non vocal stuff.

• Like 1