Last Weekend's Gig

bitflipper

The week prior I had suffered heatstroke and probably should have been carried out on a stretcher with an IV drip. But I was optimistic for last Saturday's outdoor gig. They, at least, had a canopy over the stage. But it was a new heat record, even beating out the previous Saturday's temperatures that nearly killed me. I spent the whole set desperately trying to wipe sweat from my eyes.

On the way home, I commented that my shoes felt like they were too small. My feet hurt badly. (Note to self: most piano players do it sitting down. But no, you gotta be Keith frickin' Emerson.)

Sunday morning I could barely walk. Looking down at my feet in horror, the left one was grossly swollen, discolored and - ick - bleeding. If it's still like this tomorrow I'll make an appointment to have it looked at in a month or so. (Yeh, laugh it up, you Europeans. Our health care system is spelled f-r-e-e-d-o-m, you commies.)

I'd like to say that other than the physical discomfort it was a pretty good gig. I'd like to say that.

But unfortunately we had a horrid sound system (some scuffed-up Mackies that looked like garage sale refugees) and a FoH "engineer" who didn't seem to know what any of the knobs and cables were for. All he could do for the insistent feedback was shift to different frequencies, ultimately settling on an EQ curve I'd describe as "60's-era ghetto blaster".

He also cussed a lot. Although I admit that sometimes works for me, it didn't seem to be much help for him. Two other bands were on before us, so you'd think he'd have worked out the kinks after two hours. But it was just as bad for the band that followed us. I could hear the feedback squeals blocks away as I drove off.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, bitflipper said:

The week prior I had suffered heatstroke and probably should have been carried out on a stretcher with an IV drip. But I was optimistic for last Saturday's outdoor gig. They, at least, had a canopy over the stage. But it was a new heat record, even beating out the previous Saturday's temperatures that nearly killed me. I spent the whole set desperately trying to wipe sweat from my eyes.

On the way home, I commented that my shoes felt like they were too small. My feet hurt badly. (Note to self: most piano players do it sitting down. But no, you gotta be Keith frickin' Emerson.)

Sunday morning I could barely walk. Looking down at my feet in horror, the left one was grossly swollen, discolored and - ick - bleeding. If it's still like this tomorrow I'll make an appointment to have it looked at in a month or so. (Yeh, laugh it up, you Europeans. Our health care system is spelled f-r-e-e-d-o-m, you commies.)

I'd like to say that other than the physical discomfort it was a pretty good gig. I'd like to say that.

But unfortunately we had a horrid sound system (some scuffed-up Mackies that looked like garage sale refugees) and a FoH "engineer" who didn't seem to know what any of the knobs and cables were for. All he could do for the insistent feedback was shift to different frequencies, ultimately settling on an EQ curve I'd describe as "60's-era ghetto blaster".

He also cussed a lot. Although I admit that sometimes works for me, it didn't seem to be much help for him. Two other bands were on before us, so you'd think he'd have worked out the kinks after two hours. But it was just as bad for the band that followed us. I could hear the feedback squeals blocks away as I drove off.

You forgot to mention how much you got paid. "So, it was another soul-sucking crapfest, but at least I made $300!" . . . That kind of adds context to your experience . . .

Been there, done that, moved it through the service elevator in the back of the kitchen while my truck is double-parked in the alleyway.

1 hour ago, bitflipper said:

tl;dr

So it really was joyous event then?

Ok, ok...  I'll be the weird one and mention that you definitely don't want to let that condition go unlooked at!  As much as I know what a fraud the Western Medical System is, that still could be pretty serious and they should be able to check it out!

That said, when feet got hot (even from a brisk walk) they do swell so, if you have your shoes on too tightly, this IS the result you can expect!  Just make sure that you're not getting edema!

3 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Hello Bit,

have you tried this ?

fresh mugwort, tied to the leg or placed in shoes, is supposed to revitalize tired feet. Today, tired legs and feet are rubbed with mugwort tincture or oil.

My experience is  to give some fresh mugwort leaves in the shoe/socks, and the feet are healing quick and getting well.

I hope you are getting well soon.

👍

Edited by Pragi

9 hours ago, PhonoBrainer said:

You forgot to mention how much you got paid.

Well, that's the real irony here.

I do this for the joy of playing music and usually don't even ask nor care about how much a gig pays. But take away the joy and what's left? Manual labor for minimum wage.

I think my take from that gig will be $100. Enough to cover the cost of some mugwort, I suppose.

• Like 1

Hey, but in cheerier news, we're playing the Evergreen State Fair again this year.

But we had to give up the coveted 11:00 AM on Friday slot. This time we're the last band on Saturday night. Moving up!

Well, we'll probably still be next to the goat exhibit, but still. I'm calling that headliner billing.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1
  • Haha 1

I would go to a doctor asap for that one. I wouldn't try all the Harry Potter sounding stuff until I talked to, uh, they.  

One thing that helps me a lot is walking barefoot in the grass. Best when it's wet in the morning or at night. I read a bunch of stuff one time about it grounding your body to the earth and your energy and all that blah blah blah, but in reality I think what happens is you simply sink in to the earth a little and your feet are fully supported at all points and the moisture naturally cools your body,  reduces inflammation, and all that. 

It helps my feet, knees, legs, back, cures ED, makes it bigger, etc. etc..

It sounds awful Bit. Please see a doctor as soon as you can. Could be a clot, poor circulation, something serious. But you ain't stoopid. You know that.

Edited by Shane_B.
Spelling error.

I went to the doc yesterday, got an x-ray to make sure no infection had made it into my bones (it hadn't) and was prescribed some heavy-duty antibiotics.

I have to take the industrial-strength antibiotics because I've had a MRSA infection in the past. Main side effect is diarrhea. But I'm also taking opiated painkillers, whose side effect is constipation. I'm hoping they'll cancel each other out.

Today I was able to put on socks and sandals. I'd been going barefoot, but sheesh, the concrete floor here in my garage is cold. Plus they frown on going barefoot into the drugstore.

The real fun will come on Saturday, when I'll have to stand for 4 hours. Because I'm working pedals with my right foot (the one that's still working), that means 4 hours standing on one foot (the bad one). I'm considering adjusting my stand down and taking my folding piano bench, but I've never used my current stand that way and don't even know if it's doable. The alternative is taking along a stool and just have a little sit-down between songs.

At least this gig's indoors. Always look at the bright side, to quote Monty Python.

• Like 3

Yah, I'm just trying to garner sympathy. Truth is, it looks much better today.

After they scraped away the dead flesh and dried blood, it now looks like a skinless chicken breast, exposed raw meat but with a fresh sheen of oozing blood. A much healthier-looking color than the black hue from Sunday. I've got pics if you want...

And it feels fine. That may be the oxycodone talking, but it feels fine. My painkillers are leftovers from my back surgery 10 years ago. That stuff apparently has a long shelf-life. As long as that supply holds out, I'll do fine at the gig. 

I have played on strong pain killers before. As long it's a slow blues in a minor key, it's all good. The trick will be convincing my bandmates that Piece of My Heart will go over as a slow blues.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, bitflipper said:

I have to take the industrial-strength antibiotics because I've had a MRSA infection in the past. Main side effect is diarrhea. But I'm also taking opiated painkillers, whose side effect is constipation. I'm hoping they'll cancel each other out.

Sorry, couldn't help but 🤣 at that!

Unfortunately, both of those items are really bad for ya.  Hopefully, you'll be healed and off that stuff soon Dave!

I'd suggest probiotics once you're done with the antibiotics since they don't discriminate between things it's supposed to kill and what it's not!  Expect at least a couple of months to try and get your gut health back.

1 minute ago, craigb said:

I'd suggest probiotics once you're done with the antibiotics since they don't discriminate between things it's supposed to kill and what it's not! 

+1 on this from experience.

5 hours ago, Bapu said:

Re-title it Piece of My Foot.

Man you went there!!!?

LMAO!!

Hey Bit at least take a stool to sit when you can. Get some rest between the songs. A couple of those tunes can do without fx, just give 'em the plain ole vanilla version and take a rest.

• Haha 1