SI-BASS, SI-STRING - USE OF SAMPLES IN CHORD PROGRESSION

Milton Sica

Question

I've always been interested in inserting samples of standard instruments into a MIDI track and being able to change the tonalities. Something like C - G - F - C .
I was able to do a lot of things by positioning each sample within the MIDI grid on the desired note.

With the evolution of the application, I think there could be a more modern way of doing it. Something in JOINTS.

If anyone can help me thanks. My wish is quite simple:

Include or midi samples and be able to change to a desired chord sequence.

• Confused 1

not clear on this - you want audio samples to be inserted into the MIDI grid? or assign each note in a MIDI grid to a different instruments or audio sample player? i mean, in theory you could set the resolution in the matrix to a beat or note length value to play a sample based on a note or notes.

image.png.73523e55985390c8c294137858abd548.png

3 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

not clear on this - you want audio samples to be inserted into the MIDI grid? or assign each note in a MIDI grid to a different instruments or audio sample player? i mean, in theory you could set the resolution in the matrix to a beat or note length value to play a sample based on a note or notes.

image.png.73523e55985390c8c294137858abd548.png

Thanks for the answer.

I will try to be more clear.

I want to know if it's possible to do something like the image, that is: change the sequence of the midis notes for the chords. C - F - G - C

image.png.4aee05513589086a72d11fa394848ee2.png

Note that the midis notes remain at their original values.

image.png.2079bfb49403b82c3ab12657b0b41203.png

• Confused 1

so, something like a "chord" track to shift chords? e.g. i move the order of the chords from C-F-G-C to F-C-G-C? and the melody notes would follow that change of chord?

or specifically within the chords for something like inversions? e.g. notes in the C chord => C-E-G get first inversion E-G-C or second G-C-E etc

1 hour ago, Glenn Stanton said:

so, something like a "chord" track to shift chords? e.g. i move the order of the chords from C-F-G-C to F-C-G-C? and the melody notes would follow that change of chord?

or specifically within the chords for something like inversions? e.g. notes in the C chord => C-E-G get first inversion E-G-C or second G-C-E etc

I want to take the samples from the basslines and change the bars to the notes/chords I want.

In ACID I did a lot of that, but it was with wav samples.

With MIDI sequences I don't know how to do it.

• Confused 1

so convert bass samples to MIDI? some options include using Melodyne (i think minimum assistant to get MIDI out), or using EZBass (or an equiv product) which can read in audio and create the MIDI (or even suggest MIDI...) 

in general copying and pasting and edit MIDI via the PRV is pretty easy to do. so let's say you have a serie of bass line samples you've joined up and now you want to add the chords in MIDI - i would use markers first to identify the chords, then edit the MIDI in PRV to copy and paste the chord sections (presumably you meant chords and melody) over the bass line.  conversely, you could take and convert the bass samples to MIDI and edit that to match your chords etc.

16 hours ago, Milton Sica said:

I want to take the samples from the basslines and change the bars to the notes/chords I want.

In ACID I did a lot of that, but it was with wav samples.

With MIDI sequences I don't know how to do it.

There is a language barrier here.

Can you explain further what "I want to take the samples from the basslines" means?

Now "change the bars to the notes/chords I want."

I think maybe "measures" instead of "bars" would make it clearer.

So, you have a measure, and it has a chord in it, represented by 3 or 4 MIDI notes sounding at the same time. What do you wish to do with the notes in this measure? Trade places with a different measure that has a different chord? Transpose the notes to a different chord? Change the order of the notes in (invert) the chord?

Edited by Starship Krupa
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Starship Krupa said:

There is a language barrier here.

My thoughts as well. 

18 hours ago, Milton Sica said:

want to take the samples from the basslines and change the bars to the notes/chords I want.

We see the word sample at presume it’s the audio sample generated by the SI bass. This might also be interpreted as Example. 
We see Bars and presume this is a measure. It could also be a reference to the midi note blobs in PRV. 
So rewording question as “I want to use the midi bass line notes and create chords from them in PRV. “. 

If this is the question then the answer will be you have to manually draw the other notes. Cakewalk doesn’t have an automatic chord generator other than the arpeggiator. 
If it isn’t the question then ?!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, msmcleod said:

@Milton Sica - Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question, but have you looked at changing them to groove clips, and using pitch markers?

How Groove Clips work in Cakewalk
Using pitch markers in the Track view

I got a little closer to what I would like to do.
1 - Insert midi clips.
2 - In each of them I changed the tuning.

That worked.

I couldn't access your links about inserting pitch markers. Which is exactly what I want to do. Creating melodic bass lines, etc.

image.png.cc9584930bdb2d5ee8446baa26816b1f.png

Go to page 806 & 811 of the reference guide PDF for the links above.  Section begins on page 799.

Link to PDF is at the top of this page at Cakewalk by BandLab > Reference Guide PDF.  It will open in your browser where you can also down load it.