The suspense is killing me.....

Skyline_UK

Relax, in my book Cakewalk "soon" means 6 months, so christmas time is to be expected.

I hope there will be as before, versions with less content which I don't need anyway and those with everything included.

- I would not mind even without ProChannel as I have on my Sonar Artist 2015

- I just find it annoying to ensure that is disabled in templates used

- and that you can have Sonar offline forever if so, no regular activate of any sort

7 hours ago, JohnnyV said:

If you read what they said, all they are doing with CbB is a few bug fixes they had already worked out before they switched over to working on the new products. My guess is that was ready to release back in December.  People keep excepting the last update of CbB will have new stuff added??  Why would they do that. You want new stuff? from now on you pay for it and it's called Sonar.

The only "new feature" many are hoping for is the removal of the authorization time out. But I wouldn't put money on that either. They still might want to track how many people are still using CbB and not upgrading to Sonar. That is valuable information for a business to have. Say 2 years from now they still see a huge majority of people are still using CbB and Sonar is not doing that well. If it was my business I would most certainly pull the plug on the free version.  

Next is a totally different kettle of fish and I have a feeling it will be the winner for them. 

There is obviously a good reason why they want to release everything all at once. 

Good observation. I imagine it's worth the cost of server activity and clerical work to spend. At least for a while?

BTW I can see that’s gonna be a busy server day! (Week/month)

Edited by Keni

I check everyday as well and sometimes more than once a day.   This forum is saved as a favorite on my bookmarks bar.

No pressure though on the bakers, as I am glad they are taking the time needed.  I an grateful for what I have.

I’d say from what I’ve read that CbB was frozen at the current  release with all development since then to be released in Sonar, otherwise what would be the point in paying for the first version of Sonar if it’s exactly the same as CbB.
I’d expect there to be a years worth of significant development difference between the current version of CbB (with some bug fixes yet to be released) and new Sonar.

If it’s a reasonable difference, I’d pay for that. Maybe!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Michael Vogel said:

I’d say from what I’ve read that CbB was frozen at the current  release with all development since then to be released in Sonar, otherwise what would be the point in paying for the first version of Sonar if it’s exactly the same as CbB.
I’d expect there to be a years worth of significant development difference between the current version of CbB (with some bug fixes yet to be released) and new Sonar.

If it’s a reasonable difference, I’d pay for that. Maybe!

Absolutely! I wouldn’t have it any other way ...

...and thinking the final CbB to have bug fixes, but little or no new features.

Edited by Keni
  • Like 1

From what I understand, this new scalable interface is like a year's worth of update alone, even if nothing else was added. I know that doesn't sound particularly sexy or groundbreaking to differentiate it from CbB but the ramifications of this going forward is huge. But I'd be super surprised if there wasn't a heap of other stuff being done aside from that too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lord Tim said:

From what I understand, this new scalable interface is like a year's worth of update alone, even if nothing else was added. I know that doesn't sound particularly sexy or groundbreaking to differentiate it from CbB but the ramifications of this going forward is huge. But I'd be super surprised if there wasn't a heap of other stuff being done aside from that too.

Yup! Very possibly the case. For me, I’m somewhat unconcerned and plan to buy the new Sonar immediately as it is my future!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, User 905133 said:

Best wishes to all who are suffering anxieties during the transition into whatever comes next.  May all your uncertainties be resolved to your satisfaction and bring you happiness and contentment.

Thank You. 

images (4).jpeg

• Like 1

Just now, Keni said:

Yup! Very possibly the case. For me, I’m somewhat unconcerned and plan to buy the new Sonar immediately as it is my future!

I mean, it makes sense for me to do that even if I got nothing more than a "supported CbB" going forward. I work super fast in Cakewalk, my studio is built around it, all of my legacy projects are in it... yes, I could move to other software but most (all?) other software on this level is paid anyway so it makes no sense to go anywhere else for me.

But I think we all saw the Bakers in the "Clunky" thread I made a while back. They're listening, and I think Sonar will deliver. :) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lord Tim said:

Totally understandable. A scalable interface is what we have requested before and want. Pretty sure there will be one or two extra features added. I wouldnt be unhappy if nothing gets added now. The scalable interface is all thats needed for now, so the bakers can take as much time needed before the launch. 

I'm just curious on the new facelift and design. 

• Thanks 1

Yep, same!

By the sounds of it, it's going to be a facsimile of the current interface, more or less, so it still feels familiar, but throw that on a 720p screen and everything will shrink, or a 5k screen and everything will scale up properly. How awesome would it be if you're out gigging with a 12" laptop screen and all of your UI elements fit well? Genuinely useful!

It wouldn't surprise me if there was some refining to keep the experience consistent between Sonar and Next though, just to make it comfortable for people to jump between apps, but I don't think there'll be a lot of stuff in there to make people freak out. (Watch me be wrong now 🙄)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Lord Tim said:

I mean, it makes sense for me to do that even if I got nothing more than a "supported CbB" going forward. I work super fast in Cakewalk, my studio is built around it, all of my legacy projects are in it... yes, I could move to other software but most (all?) other software on this level is paid anyway so it makes no sense to go anywhere else for me.

But I think we all saw the Bakers in the "Clunky" thread I made a while back. They're listening, and I think Sonar will deliver. :) 

I couldn’t have said it better! 

I’m in the same boat! 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Keni said:

I couldn’t have said it better! 

I’m in the same boat! 

Nice to know I am not in the boat alone.  I have twenty years plus worth of files that I still need to access.  So, I am grateful for all these bakers do.

I have tried other DAWS, but nothing beats Cakewalk for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Terry Kelley said:

They're trying to create a new revenue stream. It will take time. So far, we aren't a revenue stream.

If Cakewalk by Bandlab needs more money to continue, and it results in some fees for updates, or something, I am happy to pay a reasonable amount.

I do not want to go through that awful period again when Cakewalk had no sponsor until Bandlab saved it.

So, Bandlab, please do what is reasonable to make this a sustainable product.  

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 3