Reaper nuked Cakewalk? - SOLVED - Sountoys Update Problem

HOOK

Is there a known issue with Reaper and Cakewalk on the same machine?

I installed Reaper a few days ago and spent a few days working there exclusively.  A few days later, I went back to Cakewalk to play something for a writing partner, and now I have kooky playback issues...occasional stuttering and digital beeps.  Had none of that before the Reaper install.

Thanks for your input.

I did have this same issue, but with Steinberg  products.

They install the generic ASIO driver mentioned, and is not that easy to find.

CW finds this driver and assumes it's the right one to use.

See this thread to erase any unwanted ASIO driver: 

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/206633450-How-to-delete-old-ASIO-device-entries

Edited by Andres Medina
  • Like 2

Thanks. Yeah...I looked in the registry immediately because I did this same thing to myself with Cubase a few months ago while I was troubleshooting some hardware.  I only see one thing in there labeled as ASIO - and that's the Lynx driver that should be there.  The other two...not sure what they are.  They read:

(Default) (Value not set)

CLSID  {AC4B2DC6-BB54-4a47-8C83-4954E6B13769}

I'm just smart dumb enough to find regedit and dig around.  But not smart enough to competently delete stuff.  🤣

1 hour ago, Craig Anderton said:

Does Reaper install some kind of generic ASIO driver, like ASIO4ALL? I've experienced issues with playback on some systems if a generic ASIO driver is simply installed, even if Cakewalk isn't selecting it as a driver.

I don't think so, Craig.  I looked in the ASIO registy entry.  See above.

I had similar issues when I installed Studio One Prime and ran it before firing up Cakewalk, there was severe driver conflict but couldn't find a way out other then reload the whole Windows session.

I had both Cakewalk and Reaper portable running fine though. One thing you might want to check is if you did install ReaRoute along with your Reaper and it did somehow get in conflict with Cakewalk.

Edited by chris.r
  • Like 1

I went into my programs list and arranged by install date.  I deleted several recent installs that could have been reaching out on the internet, but nothing helped.  But I did see the Soundtoys Little Radiator 5 update I thought hmm....

Deleted it from the project and the problem is gone. What sucks is that I've been using that plugin with Reaper for the last week with no problems.  And I use it on kick, toms and bass on just about every mix in Cakewalk for months now with no issue.  No bueno.

• HOOK changed the title to Reaper nuked Cakewalk? - SOLVED - Sountoys Update Problem

I've had trouble with all Soundtoys plugins in Cakewalk ever since they announced support for VST3. My projects intermittently freeze and stutter if there's a Soundtoys VST3 plugin loaded. My workaround is to use their VST2 versions until they can get their VST3's to play nice with Cakewalk.

I reported this to Soundtoys and they said they don't do a lot of testing with Cakewalk.

Hopefully the new Sonar will have better support from Soundtoys and other manufacturers and developers.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

They ARE pretty hard on the Cakewalk engine.  I use a couple others that I basically can't use if I still have tracking to do.

I'll uninstall the plugin and see if Vst 2 is an option.

thanks

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Traveler said:

I've had trouble with all Soundtoys plugins in Cakewalk ever since they announced support for VST3. My projects intermittently freeze and stutter if there's a Soundtoys VST3 plugin loaded. My workaround is to use their VST2 versions until they can get their VST3's to play nice with Cakewalk.

I reported this to Soundtoys and they said they don't do a lot of testing with Cakewalk.

Hopefully the new Sonar will have better support from Soundtoys and other manufacturers and developers.

I'll be damned.  That was it.  VST2 installed and the whole problem is gone!  Thanks for the heads up.

• Like 7

Subsequently, I looked at my other two Soundtoys plugins and they're both VST2...so I'll have to be careful of those if new updates come around.  I did send a support message to Soundtoys as soon as I realized it was an issue with their plugin.  I'll share what they have to say, if it's worth sharing.

Still.  Pretty surprising that Cakewalk didn't like that VST3 when I run quite a few other plugins as VST3.  Reaper ate it like candy.

• Like 1

Just to be aware, the VST3 implementation for a lot of plugin vendors was hit or miss for years, so the workaround was to keep the VST2 on hand just in case (often the quick workaround). When there is a mismatch between a DAW and plugin, it often comes down to the developers talking to each other to resolve the issue, but the reason is to get the vendor to conform to the VST3 standard rather than fit a specific DAW. If a DAW accommodates non-standard coding, it will almost lock that plugin vendor to the DAWs that did rather than make them universal.

• Like 4

I found that different revision levels of Soundtoys VST2 works better than others.

I'm using the latest release 5.4.1 and its sort of stable... VST3 is loaded in the project I use for making reverb and delay patches and it works ok, but if it starts acting up then I switch to VST2. In all my normal projects I use VST2.

Unfortunately Soundtoys doesn't keep previous versions of their plugins on their website (except for 32bit). You have to contact them directly and they'll send you a link. I've started keeping previous versions on my hard drive as a backup.