Reaper nuked Cakewalk? - SOLVED - Sountoys Update Problem

HOOK

I had to test it myself remembering that I just recently updated to the latest 5.4.1 as well and sure enough I can only put max 2-3 Soundtoys VST3 plugins in a track before I get regular glitches while I can put 10 or more VST2 plugins instead and playback keeps smooth, just a short buzz on stop (or when clicking on TWEAK button to extend the GUI).

Edited by chris.r
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Traveler said:

I found that different revision levels of Soundtoys VST2 works better than others.

I'm using the latest release 5.4.1 and its sort of stable... VST3 is loaded in the project I use for making reverb and delay patches and it works ok, but if it starts acting up then I switch to VST2. In all my normal projects I use VST2.

Unfortunately Soundtoys doesn't keep previous versions of their plugins on their website (except for 32bit). You have to contact them directly and they'll send you a link. I've started keeping previous versions on my hard drive as a backup.

That's true.  Before posting here I contacted them and asked for the previous installer.  They happily supplied it via link.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, chris.r said:

I had to test it myself remembering that I just recently updated to the latest 5.4.1 as well and sure enough I can only put max 2-3 Soundtoys VST3 plugins in a track before I get regular glitches while I can put 10 or more VST2 plugins instead and playback keeps smooth, just a short buzz on stop (or when clicking on TWEAK button to extend the GUI).

I regularly use their Microshift and Alterboy on a vocal bus in Cakewalk.  I can't even have those turned on in the project if I want to track anything else on other tracks.  When I dropped them in Reaper, I tracked all day with them on the vocal bus while I tracked guitars and whatnot.  I still was unable to track vocals in real time without a huge latency issue.  Not a real problem...don't need it for tracking.

Point is...for some reason they play way nicer (and as VST3) with Reaper.  I didn't test to see if that was because of Reaper's Anticipative FX Processing or not.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, HOOK said:

Point is...for some reason they play way nicer (and as VST3) with Reaper.  I didn't test to see if that was because of Reaper's Anticipative FX Processing or not.

They are late to the VST3 party and unfortunately we can't do much, just wait until they polish them more. That Cakewalk isn't among officially supported DAWs doesn't help either. If they say they didn't check too much with Cakewalk, maybe they did just what I did after updating - plugin opens fine, no crash - all good! :D 

Two-three plugins in a project is a no-no, it's not like there are the only plugins in a project. Please post us with another version if you find out it's behaving considerably better than 5.4.1. For me it's still VST2 for a while.

Edited by chris.r

DON'T BE LIKE ME: 

Before trying the VST3 to VST2 swap-back to fix gapping audio, I forgot to uninstall the VST3 versions of SoundToys 5.4.1. Some of them will still be forced in place with the "Hide Related VST2 plugins" in Preferences. Now with VST3 fully uninstalled and VST2 re-installed, things seem to be working (even the new SuperPlate which is great)

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, GreenLight said:

So is the new SuperPlate working well in Cakewalk as a VST2? (If yes, what version?)

I have been hesitant to buy it until people confirm it's working well...

SuperPlate VST2 version 5.4.1 works 100% in my system. I haven't tried VST3 because of the problems with other Soundtoys plugins.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Traveler said:

SuperPlate VST2 version 5.4.1 works 100% in my system. I haven't tried VST3 because of the problems with other Soundtoys plugins.

Brilliant, thanks!

So if you avoid installing the VST3 versions, everything is smooth sailing as usual with the SoundToys 5.4 package?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GreenLight said:

Brilliant, thanks!

So if you avoid installing the VST3 versions, everything is smooth sailing as usual with the SoundToys 5.4 package?

I have Soundtoys VST3's installed but I only use them in my test project for creating effects. VST3 makes it convenient when opening several plugins on the screen and bypassing them to hear the difference.

VST2 is my goto in every other project until Soundtoys can get their VST3's to behave. 🙂

9 hours ago, Traveler said:

I have Soundtoys VST3's installed but I only use them in my test project for creating effects. VST3 makes it convenient when opening several plugins on the screen and bypassing them to hear the difference.

VST2 is my goto in every other project until Soundtoys can get their VST3's to behave. 🙂

Good to know, thanks.

I asked because someone on Gearspace (someone from here?) reported issues when Cakewalk auto-replaced VST2 versions of plugins with VST3 versions (which it is configured to do by default). I'm not sure if the problem was that the VST3 versions were buggy or if it was that the presets were not migrated correctly during the VST2->VST3 replacement.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2023 at 4:01 PM, HOOK said:

I'll be damned.  That was it.  VST2 installed and the whole problem is gone!  Thanks for the heads up.

Many plugin vendors simply wrap their VST2 plugins and make them behave like VST3, and also poorly handle some VST3 requirements.
This is the one source of such problems. We can try and reproduce this. If you can PM me a recipe with a specific SoundToys plugin we can try and repro it and contact them if its indeed a plugin issue.

• Like 6

On 7/9/2023 at 6:18 PM, shane said:

Thanks Noel--- almost every SoundToys VST3 plugin in version 5.4.1 causes "audio gap" on playback as I posted about here at about a minute of playback. 

The VST2 equivalent has no such issue that I've been able to reproduce, and I've been trying for a few days now.

Just to follow up - did you (or anyone else) send a detailed repro to Noel about this?

Just got an email from Soundtoys:

Thanks for reaching out to Soundtoys Support and I'm terribly sorry for the delay in getting back to you!

We were made aware of a bug with our plug-in release of 5.4.0 that was negatively affecting our users in Cakewalk (as well as a few other DAWs). We've been working on getting all of those issues fixed for our next release (5.4.2) but have an open Beta available for anyone who wants to use it. A majority of those issues should be fixed in this beta so I'd recommend trying it out to see if that fixes the problems you're experiencing:

https://storage.googleapis.com/soundtoys-download/download.html?beta=true

Let me know if that helps or if you're still getting that odd behavior with our plug-ins in your Cakewalk sessions.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, gustabo said:

Just got an email from Soundtoys:

Great news, thanks a lot for the update, Gustabo! 👍

Has anyone tried the 5.4.2 beta? Did it fix all of the issues?

I've only installed SuperPlate VST2 yet, and didn't dare to update any of the VST2 plugins, nor have I installed the VST3 versions... ;) Don't wanna disturb my current production spree!

12 hours ago, gustabo said:

Cakewalk (as well as a few other DAWs).

The DAW vendors they are working with are not doing them justice if they are conforming to Soundtoys rather than focusing on Soundtoys conforming to the VST3 spec. Noel might be a better influence on them. The whole wrapper idea was a plague to VST3s when they were first released.

22 hours ago, GreenLight said:

Great news, thanks a lot for the update, Gustabo! 👍

Has anyone tried the 5.4.2 beta? Did it fix all of the issues?

I've only installed SuperPlate VST2 yet, and didn't dare to update any of the VST2 plugins, nor have I installed the VST3 versions... ;) Don't wanna disturb my current production spree!

I confirm that version 5.4.2 beta VST3 works fine and that the issues have been fixed!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3