If I'm Without You

Glenn Stanton

something nice for a change 🙂 

ok, after a bit, i've updated. whilst i liked the quirky version, it wasn't really my goal on this. it was originally written as a wedding song long ago (1982?) and was supposed to be a waltz-like number. so after a bunch of tweaks, i think i like this version in its simplicity...

Edited by Glenn Stanton
  • Like 2

the time signature is in nine? Maybe not all the time? What a cool trip. Vocals were great as they hold down different ranges of eq.

I honestly could do without the organ, it's the circus coming to town :) and goes against the grain of the lyrics, so to speak. YMMV.

Those vocals and that melody are something worthy of a scene in a Bway musical. Really great.

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PhonoBrainer said:

the time signature is in nine? Maybe not all the time? What a cool trip. Vocals were great as they hold down different ranges of eq.

I honestly could do without the organ, it's the circus coming to town :) and goes against the grain of the lyrics, so to speak. YMMV.

Those vocals and that melody are something worthy of a scene in a Bway musical. Really great.

thanks! i re-instrumented it - i had originally used the hookpad sounds, re-did them using my proper instruments including the B3... 🙂 

i wrote it many years ago for a wedding song... it's in 6/4 time. the vocals are 100% synthetic using the Synth V voices as i wanted to try them out with a "singing" song .  so no bway here! just disney lol 🙂 

• Like 1

Interesting, with the Synth V vocals . . . sounds very old school production wise (1960's ?), with cutting edge AI audio technology. Yes, that organ would work better with guitar up strums instead. The repeated drum hit  (or toms) at the end of the chorus sounds a bit distorted. Sax part sounds great, lots of lush delay. Fun stuff, thanks for posting !

• Like 1

What an interesting project.  I would never have guessed that the vocals were AI; that's something I may look into.  The sax is interesting and unexpected for me, which grabs my interest.  The only thing that stood out to me is the drum track.  It's very forward in the mix, and it sounds a bit mechanical.  Otherwise, you're on to something, and I believe this could turn into something quite cool with a tweak or two.

• Like 1

thanks all for the comments. did some more work with the drumming as it was a "happy accident" at first as the choir vocals caused the tom toms so i tweaked the MIDI to clean it up and tone it down a bit.

the sax part is actually a real tracks solo from BIAB where i wrote out the song and added a pop sax soloist. then exported as a single track for the mix. 🙂 

i think i put the drums up front more since there is really only a few instruments: drums, bass (upright), double bass string pad, acoustic guitar, piano (in a few spots), reggae organ, and really the choir parts as pads.  4 vocals - two duet then +2 more for the pre and chorus and bridge. however in the recent mix, i took a lot of cymbals out to clean up the drums.

Edited by Glenn Stanton