CbB for Linux

1 hour ago, Sakini said:

I repeat Linux is very good for certain uses. Especially for servers. But does that mean that there is a large ecosystem for music around Linux?

Without ideology, you have to look at reality as it is. How many professional studios use Linux for production?.

The fact that Linux is great for servers doesn't matter if it's harder to find the software you want for music. I buy an android smatphone it's because I can install my applications. And not because android is based on Linux.

If I need to buy a car, I don't need a jet engine just because those engines are absolutely more efficient.

I used Ubuntu Studio for a long time with qtractor, hydrogen, zynAddsubFx , Calf and others software. (I dont like Ardour workflow, that not depends on windows/linux ). all these software are ok, but to switch to a more efficient daw I had to switch to CbB and S1. And so I changed my OS. I chose the OS according to my softwares and not the other way around. The goal is to do music not computer

I choose the OS first, I believe in a good foundation, ms is not that, its getting worse too. Don't believe me, just hang around another while with ms and all will come clear. I tried ubuntu studio, it was not as efficient on resources as I like,  I moved on to Reaper because it uses way less resources on Lubuntu, which is cut down to keep it lean and fast.

• Meh 1

On 6/19/2023 at 8:49 AM, Linux Daws Are The Best said:

. . . I simply can not understand why [CbB] is not being made available on Linux.

Linux is no longer an underdog in music creation circles and is much much better than the current Windows offerings, which are absolutely terrible.

Windows is a complete mess, updates all the time, breaks all sorts of functionality, it is nothing short of a night mare . . . . 

🤪

On 6/19/2023 at 9:22 AM, Linux Daws Are The Best said:

I thought posting it here would result in those charged with the news thread seeing it and sharing my views / experience with the people who make the decisions. But as it seems to be upsetting people, I will not comment any further, no point in flogging a dead horse.

🤪

4 hours ago, Linux Daws Are The Best said:

People are like sheep, they follow, I thought Cakewalk could be a leader, I know and admit am wrong, I was told it before I posted here, had to experience it to be sure.

🤪

3 hours ago, Linux Daws Are The Best said:

Don't be confused, I was told this place was closed to Linux, being an optimist I had to check this out, they were right. You all deserve windows, keep on using it. 

🤪  

3 hours ago, Linux Daws Are The Best said:

Anyway, the door is closed, no Cakewalk for Linux.  Moving on.

🤪

1 hour ago, Linux Daws Are The Best said:

Hi azslow3 , happy to hear from you. Good news regarding the midi side, I have a Kawai piano, usb midi out, straight into the laptop running Lubuntu, from there into pianoteq , or even straight into Reaper with pianoteq playing back the sound as a plugin on the midi track. I also connect the mics through a new SSL 12 usb interface into Reaper on Lubuntu, no driver to install, just worked straight off the bat.

🤪

1 hour ago, Linux Daws Are The Best said:

I choose the OS first, I believe in a good foundation, ms is not that, its getting worse too. Don't believe me, just hang around another while with ms and all will come clear. I tried ubuntu studio, it was not as efficient on resources as I like,  I moved on to Reaper because it uses way less resources on Lubuntu, which is cut down to keep it lean and fast.

🤪

On 6/19/2023 at 8:49 AM, Linux Daws Are The Best said:

. . . I simply can not understand why it is not being made available on Linux.

🤪

Edited by User 905133
  • Haha 1

I think @Lord Tim's post with the baker's analogy and @azslow3's post sum the situation up quite nicely.

Cakewalk by BandLab/SONAR are heavily reliant on the Windows operating system, and are extremely "Windows Compliant" in that regard.  That's why much older versions of SONAR will work on more modern versions of Windows, largely without issue.

This is mostly due to historical reasons.  Cakewalk/SONAR has always been based on Microsoft technologies - first on DOS, and then on Windows.  It leverages as much as it can from the operating system to make it perform well, which was very much needed on the slow hardware of the past.

The SONAR for Mac project (which was before my time as a staff member) looked into ways at getting it to run on a Mac with help from the guys at Codeweavers.  It did pretty well to be honest, but there were a bunch of performance issues and plugin support was a nightmare.  To cut a long story short,  to make it work well would have taken too long to develop, and cost far too much - something Gibson at the time was not prepared to fund.

As @azslow3 has mentioned,  various versions of SONAR have run on Linux in the past under Wine (in fact our CTO,  Noel was on the Wine team for a number of years), and again this was due to the tight integration with Windows, enabling Wine to handle the various calls correctly.  Plugin support and performance were yet again the main issues though, and the same time/cost issues apply to making it a Linux native app.

I developed on / managed developers working soley on Linux for 11 years prior to joining the Cakewalk team, and for many years prior to that had to work with both Windows and Linux.   I personally think it's an awesome operating system, but not for running a DAW on (in fact, I've pretty much Linux for everything apart from running a DAW). It's not that it's not capable - it certainly is - but lack of professional driver support and lack of commercial plugin support make it a non-starter for the majority of users. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, User 905133 said:

🤪

I believe you meant to say:

💩

Really, folks, look at this guy's content (as well has his change of handle). The only places he's "contributed" to are the "Delusional Linux" topic in Coffee House and here. The "is that all you got," the change of handle, the repeated assertions that he's "out of here" yet always coming back, it's obvious.

He's a skillful troll, and it's been fun to play Poke The Troll with him, but he's just getting a kick out of the attention and how much he can bait us.

And sincerely, Mr. Linux Advocates Are The Worst, my (red) hat is off to you. You played the 90's "Linux Loony" to a T. It was fun to revisit my younger days. 😄

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

11 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

💩

Really, folks, look at this guy's content (as well has his change of handle). The only places he's "contributed" to are the "Delusional Linux" topic in Coffee House and here. The "is that all you got," the change of handle, the repeated assertions that he's "out of here" yet always coming back, it's obvious.

He's a skillful troll . . . .

My bad.  I have a lifelong habit of being late to spot malevolent intent.  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

I personally think it's an awesome operating system, but not for running a DAW on

This. Horses for courses. Linux is great at what it does best, which is hosting servers, enabling people to get extra life out of older hardware, and provide a viable productivity desktop for people and organizations who wish to save money on OS licenses. It also provides an alternative for users who don't care for Microsoft's and Apple's policies and behavior.

The primary function of a company is to make money. If they can't make enough profit from some activity (even indirectly), they will either not engage in that activity or cease to engage in it. Witness the impending freeze of freeware CbB and advent of payware Cakewalk Sonar. The "building brand awareness" era was great, but about to come to an end. The 5-year introductory offer. 😄

It's difficult for audio software companies to make money on Linux because A, there are so very few people using it for audio, and B, frankly, Linux users are used to getting most of their software for free. The potential customers are LOUD, but few.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

This. Horses for courses. Linux is great at what it does best, which is hosting servers, enabling people to get extra life out of older hardware, and provide a viable productivity desktop for people and organizations who wish to save money on OS licenses. It also provides an alternative for users who don't care for Microsoft's and Apple's policies and behavior.

The primary function of a company is to make money. If they can't make enough profit from some activity (even indirectly), they will either not engage in that activity or cease to engage in it. Witness the impending freeze of freeware CbB and advent of payware Cakewalk Sonar. The "building brand awareness" era was great, but about to come to an end. The 5-year introductory offer. 😄

It's difficult for audio software companies to make money on Linux because A, there are so very few people using it for audio, and B, frankly, Linux users are used to getting most of their software for free. The potential customers are LOUD, but few.

I would pay for any software I need on Linux, I recently bought pianoteq which is not cheap,  and Reaper, and if Cakewalk was available I would pay for it.

10 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

💩

He's a skillful troll, and it's been fun to play Poke The Troll with him, but he's just getting a kick out of the attention and how much he can bait us.

And sincerely, Mr. Linux Advocates Are The Worst, my (red) hat is off to you. You played the 90's "Linux Loony" to a T. It was fun to revisit my younger days. 😄

Happy to help,  but your wrong, typical name caller, am no troll.

• Meh 3

10 hours ago, msmcleod said:

I think @Lord Tim's post with the baker's analogy and @azslow3's post sum the situation up quite nicely.

Cakewalk by BandLab/SONAR are heavily reliant on the Windows operating system, and are extremely "Windows Compliant" in that regard.  That's why much older versions of SONAR will work on more modern versions of Windows, largely without issue.

This is mostly due to historical reasons.  Cakewalk/SONAR has always been based on Microsoft technologies - first on DOS, and then on Windows.  It leverages as much as it can from the operating system to make it perform well, which was very much needed on the slow hardware of the past.

The SONAR for Mac project (which was before my time as a staff member) looked into ways at getting it to run on a Mac with help from the guys at Codeweavers.  It did pretty well to be honest, but there were a bunch of performance issues and plugin support was a nightmare.  To cut a long story short,  to make it work well would have taken too long to develop, and cost far too much - something Gibson at the time was not prepared to fund.

As @azslow3 has mentioned,  various versions of SONAR have run on Linux in the past under Wine (in fact our CTO,  Noel was on the Wine team for a number of years), and again this was due to the tight integration with Windows, enabling Wine to handle the various calls correctly.  Plugin support and performance were yet again the main issues though, and the same time/cost issues apply to making it a Linux native app.

I developed on / managed developers working soley on Linux for 11 years prior to joining the Cakewalk team, and for many years prior to that had to work with both Windows and Linux.   I personally think it's an awesome operating system, but not for running a DAW on (in fact, I've pretty much Linux for everything apart from running a DAW). It's not that it's not capable - it certainly is - but lack of professional driver support and lack of commercial plugin support make it a non-starter for the majority of users. 

Great explanation, thanks. I can tell there will be no Cakewalk for linux coming, but if Reaper and Waveform can run on Linux and do so very well, then Linux can not be said to be good for lots of things but not for a DAW, when clearly it can be.