Beware IK Multimedia (NOT a deal)

marcL

9 hours ago, MarcL said:

It seems that IK has removed offline authorization secretly!

<rant> Generally I don't put their decision into question, but absolutely I have to comment the how! It seems that in their company the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. In the FAQ and in the documentations you still find the instructions for doing offline authorization! Also the support tells you some cloudy, abstruse things about offline authorization ("What App do you want to authorize? and you know that in the first step it is not relevant. - Newer products (available for a lot of years!) cannot be offline authorized anymore. - ...). IMO you cannot trust in such a company anymore! They are not capable to organize their things! I am just glad that I did not invest in their T-Racks lately (I nearly did)!

Also looking at their strange software implementations in T-Racks and Amplitude raises hackles! You always have to install the full package even if you only own a fraction of the modules (It is not only the installer, but also the installed files: 1 T-Racks module > 2 GB)! And they tell you the whole time that the product is updated when only new modules have been added!

And looking at such companies I wonder why some people attach importance to support? It's almost useless IMO!

Regrettably another company that gets on my "not-to-buy-anymore" list!</rant>

Totally agree, it's an unethical mega company I've been saying since the advantageous upgrade of the BASS MODE and their incorrect policy of charging for the products one has already bought on their website, Mr. Peter absent without notice in these matters, as far as I'm concerned, they have also lost a customer for a while now.

• Like 1

I purchased TS 2 Max long ago and stayed with it. These mega packages give you a lot when starting out. I uninstalled the stuff piece by piece and now only use Modo Bass 1 and Mixbox. The main problem I have is the integrated shop everywhere. And the dangling carrot. Do they expect me to use my credit card while working? Work and shopping are separate things for me. But that's just me, I have 5 ad blockers in my browser, too. 

And so the only products in use are the integrated ones. 

Edited by ralfrobert

2 minutes ago, Byron Dickens said:

Meanwhile, there are people in the world who have actual problems....

You have a point. But there are products and services around that can make a working day miserable. And others don't. First world problems deserve a discussion, too. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MarcL said:

It seems that IK has removed offline authorization secretly!

<rant> Generally I don't put their decision into question, but absolutely I have to comment the how! It seems that in their company the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. In the FAQ and in the documentations you still find the instructions for doing offline authorization! Also the support tells you some cloudy, abstruse things about offline authorization ("What App do you want to authorize? and you know that in the first step it is not relevant. - Newer products (available for a lot of years!) cannot be offline authorized anymore. - ...). IMO you cannot trust in such a company anymore! They are not capable to organize their things! I am just glad that I did not invest in their T-Racks lately (I nearly did)!

Also looking at their strange software implementations in T-Racks and Amplitude raises hackles! You always have to install the full package even if you only own a fraction of the modules (It is not only the installer, but also the installed files: 1 T-Racks module > 2 GB)! And they tell you the whole time that the product is updated when only new modules have been added!

And looking at such companies I wonder why some people attach importance to support? It's almost useless IMO!

Regrettably another company that gets on my "not-to-buy-anymore" list!</rant>

You should be able to use Authorization Manager for this still.  I haven't tried it personally in a while but Authorization Manager itself still works.  If you have problems our support team can assist further with that.

3 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

The worst offenders of that are Amplitube and TONEX, the latter will happily install all the training models and other stuff along with it regardless of which version you have and that amounts to a nice 7 GB of stuff. For the free version is worse because you're forced to give 7 GB of stuff for maybe two dozen presets you can only do minor tweaks on.

And this is the annoying part of having those licensing schemes. Where are the fixes for the bugs people keep complaining about? Is their development time entirely dedicated to copy protection now? Cause I was using a plugin last time I checked and not an antivirus or other protection related stuff.

TONEX is nowhere near 7GB.  "All the training models" are in a Library.db file which when installed with every stock model is a whopping... 20.5MB (I just verified with the latest version I updated just yesterday on the machine I'm typing on).  AmpliTube isn't anywhere near that either.  Any bug fixes can be submitted to IK Support and they alert the devs when they are actually bugs.  They fix things all the time.

Edited by Peter - IK Multimedia
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

Any bug fixes can be submitted to IK Support and they alert the devs when they are actually bugs.  They fix things all the time.

I'm a bit concerned with the last part because what it is considered a bug for IK is not what their consumers consider a bug and vice-versa. There are lingering bugs/implementation flaws in quite a bit of IK software, some of which persists across different versions, many people complains about them and...no fixes so far.