IK ToneX SE

cclarry

Interesting.  Tonex SE used to be $100 when the list was $150.  Now Tonex is $100 with a list price of $150 at the IK site.  Maybe its just temporary or maybe SE has been discontinued as you asked.  I only have CS and don't use it, but I can't help but wonder if someone paid $100 for SE, will IK upgrade them to Tonex [Full]. 

• TONEX Versions
    • To start experiencing the power of TONEX, just download the free CS version of the software. This includes 20 must-have Tone Models and your choice of 20 user-created Tone Models.
    • Then to experience more Tone Models, simply choose one of the 3 available versions below that best suits your needs and budget.

Note: SE is not one of the 3 available versions.  BUT if someone downloads the free CS version, the next step to experience more Tonex models would be to choose one of the 2 remaining versions listed.

Maybe @Peter - IK Multimedia either knows or can clarify.

My guess (100% speculation): With the new product/pricing changes announced recently, maybe they decided to abandon the SE series.  Having gotten Syntronik, then Syntronik Deluxe, then Syntronik 2 CS, and then Syntronik 2 SE before getting Syntronik 2 and the equivalent of Syntronik 2 MAX, I feel that Syntronik 2 SE was a waste of money.

Edited by User 905133
to ad some speculation and comments re: the SE products; to add a quote from the website and a comment

Aside from this deal, seems all the SE products (AmpliTube, TONEX, SampleTank, T-RackS, etc.) are only currently available as part of their hardware bundles.

Edited by ALC

4 minutes ago, ALC said:

Aside from this deal, seems all the SE products (AmpliTube, TONEX, SampleTank, T-RackS, etc.) are only currently available as part of their hardware bundles.

Yup. this is why i am confused as well.

Also, if you look at it, ToneX is $99 on sale with 400 models. SE is $49 on this sale with 200 models. I just wonder this is a good entry to get into for future upgrades to ToneX max. As I am sure I will get it at some point.

4 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

Also, if you look at it, ToneX is $99 on sale with 400 models. SE is $49 on this sale with 200 models. I just wonder this is a good entry to get into for future upgrades to ToneX max. As I am sure I will get it at some point.

IK tends to have really crappy upgrade policies in general.  There's a crossgrade price, for anyone who's bought anything with an MSRP of $99 (ie, pretty much anyone), and a maxgrade price (for someone who has MAX of something).  Deals seem to be on a "hardcover book" basis, more than loyalty.  If you want something cheap, you need to wait and buy at the end of the cycle.  Certainly don't expect any deals on upgrades unless you have a MAX product.

Which isn't to say they're bad; if you like TONEX SE, and it has the thingies you want, go ahead; it's still cheaper than a couple guitar lessons, and you'll get it now, not in 2024.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

I wouldn't think it will give you a "dent" in an upgrade to MAX.

But unless you are getting hardware that comes with a bundle of the program.  Honestly, this isn't like other SE programs where you need more.  ToneNet gives you tons of free stuff - some of which is better than what IKM captured.  And then there are 3rd parties that sell profiles.   While some of what IKM captured and is included in a higher tier than SE is good, a lot of it is mediocre.  But the platform itself is amazing.  

ToneX pedal gets you MAX or consider the new entry level AXE I/O  which has a entry level Software bundle so you can capture your own stuff.  (use JamPoints)

SE at $50 is a good route if your plan is only to use captures in the software environment.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

If you have a use for interfaces, iRig HD2 on sale for $99.99 or Axe I/O ONE for $129.99...

I picked up the Axe I/O ONE and used up 39 jam points (and comes with TONEX SE and Amplitube SE).  I consider it a bargain since it include Z-TONE.

TONEX SE unlocks the unlimited downloads of the free tone models as well as capturing so it's a pretty full featured SE product.

The TONEX Pedal (for $399) comes with TONEX MAX.  If the pedal is something you'd want, that's a pretty good way to get MAX.

Edited by ALC
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

While some of what IKM captured and is included in a higher tier than SE is good, a lot of it is mediocre.  But the platform itself is amazing.  

8 minutes ago, ALC said:

TONEX SE unlocks the unlimited downloads of the free tone models.

Exactly why I'll stick with TONEX SE. 

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

5 hours ago, Marc Cormier said:

Exactly why I'll stick with TONEX SE. 

I would have also except I needed the pedal.  Wonderful not having to run it on a computer at latency levels that are impractical with other stuff going on. Though I also get use of the desktop app.  

If it only came with SE I would have never upgraded to MAX.  I created a profile that is better than anything IKM has done which fulfilled the dream of capturing a particular amp that is Uber rare.

• Like 2