ENDED ... Pluginguru Unify for $47.40

ralfrobert

12 hours ago, jngnz said:

I did last time all you guys went crazy when it went on sale and I haven't found any use for it. Might just be me going "meh, I can do that in Bitwig anyway" though.

In Unify, you can save and recall your "stacked" plug-ins with all included (MIDI and other) data as a preset in any DAW, not just Bitwig, which is pretty good, as I also use Logic and Waveform. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, abacab said:

Provides a preset browser via Unify patches for plugins that don't have modern browsing or search abilities. Also has a "favorites" tagging system.

This is a biggy. How many instruments sound awesome, but have a lame preset browser and no way to favorite? Too many just rely on the OS file manager. Unify lets you favorite presets, add categories, add notes, and more. It’s simple to do this for any instrument, even if it hasn’t been “Unified”. 

If your reason for not getting Unify is your DAW can do it, then you don't understand Unify.

It’s all about the workflow. Sure, you could do everything Unify does in a DAW, but Unify makes things easy. I like to use it to quickly set up MIDI routing which can be a pain. It does so much more than just layering different instruments. It's kinda like a DAW in a plugin. 

Edited by Spice3d
  • Like 5

On 3/18/2023 at 3:16 PM, husker said:

Can you explain a bit what that means?

From the horse’s mouth (i.e. website): 

The BBC Symphony Orchestra plugin by Spitfire Audio is a wonderful entire orchestra in a single plug-in. Given the patience to sequence out multiple tracks, it is a very convincing sounding! BUT….. What if you would like to play it LIVE? All 5 String Sections, all 5 Woodwind sections AND all 5 Brass Sections, on the keyboard, ready to knock your socks off? There is only 1 way to pull this off and then change to another of over 180 variations/combinations of these instruments = In Unify! And this is just the beginning!

DiscoverStation/CoreStation offer:

183 Patches combining instruments from the BBC Symphony Orchestra to make playable multi-instrument Patches. 

There are 382 MIDI Files covering both modern productions as well as classical production styles in meters including 3/4, 5/4, 7/8 and 15/8!

There are many different applications in this library for how to use these Patches. Everywhere from simply playing the entire string, brass or woodwind section in realtime to MIDI Files playing elements with realistic techniques for use in all sorts of musical applications.

• Like 1

Here's John Lehmkuhl's video on using the BBCSO with Unify.

This gets into what I said about using different cores for different instruments..

I was looking at a similar thread on VI:Control and I saw a post I did.   One of m "favorite" things.  Of course I forgot to write it here.

It's easy to set up split keyboards. but you can also split by velocity. 

So you can set up the kind of effects you get in libraries like Omnisphere, Indiginus, OTS, etc.  Play a note harder and it becomes a hammer-on.  Or play a note harder and it can go from one synth pass to another one on a different synth.   Or from a piano to a guitar, etc.   It's easy to do and offers a lot of possibilities. 

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

It's easy to do and offers a lot of possibilities. 

The "lots of possibilities" is rather huge, and that IMO is what keeps many potential Unify users away, as in what the heck is Unify?

There is a clear opportunity for PluginGuru to produce some professional "Unify for Dummies" getting started videos to remove some of the mystery from this awesome tool! That is especially important because 99% of the great Unify features are invisible just by glancing at the GUI, which is rather opaque and not very user-friendly until you get some experience with it.

But there really is nothing else that compares to what Unify can do!

• Like 1

I've been keeping an eye on Unify and the deals really are few and far between so I decided it was best to grab this while it was reduced. Looking forward to learning more about it. Clearly I'm going to have to read the manual because I couldn't figure out how to scan for VSTs 😊

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, abacab said:

The "lots of possibilities" is rather huge, and that IMO is what keeps many potential Unify users away, as in what the heck is Unify?

There is a clear opportunity for PluginGuru to produce some professional "Unify for Dummies" getting started videos to remove some of the mystery from this awesome tool! That is especially important because 99% of the great Unify features are invisible just by glancing at the GUI, which is rather opaque and not very user-friendly until you get some experience with it.

But there really is nothing else that compares to what Unify can do!

If you casually just watch the majority of PluginGuru videos, you would dismiss Unify as just something that layers instruments or just a rompler or a one-button song machine. Sadly, that's where the whole "I can do that in my DAW" metality comes from. It takes a bit of homework to come to the "ah-ha" moment and you realize that Unify is a game-changer.

I get why John pushes those features. It's cool. It's eye candy. However, unfortunately, I think it undermines how powerful Unify is beyond those things.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Spice3d said:

I get why John pushes those features. It's cool. It's eye candy. However, unfortunately, I think it undermines how powerful Unify is beyond those things.

If you really think about it, John came up with this idea after decades as a sound designer and former KORG employee, and more recently with his own PluginGuru "label" that has produced sound packs and presets for many leading synths.

Unify is apparently the product of all the features he wished he had access to inside of one program that did not exist. So he hired Shane Dunne, PhD Computer Science, to do the programming. https://getdunne.com/

Shane took John's specs and developed Unify using JUCE, a framework for audio application and plug-in development. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JUCE

They work together to test and get the features working correctly. A very small team with big ideas! I guess you could say that Unify likely represents John's mind and years of sound design experience in code. That probably explains its depth, and supposedly its appeal to MIDI geeks... ;)

Edited by abacab
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, abacab said:

If you really think about it, John came up with this idea after decades as a sound designer and former KORG employee, and more recently with his own PluginGuru "label" that has produced sound packs and presets for many leading synths.

Unify is apparently the product of all the features he wished he had access to inside of one program that did not exist. So he hired Shane Dunne, PhD Computer Science, to do the programming. https://getdunne.com/

Shane took John's specs and developed Unify using JUCE, a framework for audio application and plug-in development. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JUCE

They work together to test and get the features working correctly. A very small team with big ideas! I guess you could say that Unify likely represents John's mind and years of sound design experience in code. That probably explains its depth, and supposedly its appeal to MIDI geeks... ;)

Additionally, I think he wanted to be able to sell libraries with copy protection. Can't blame him. Man's gotta eat.

That said, for the amount of work he puts into the libraries and the power of Unify, he charges more than a fair price even non-sale. I really commend him and try to support him and his team as much as I can.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Grem said:

This is what kept me away.

Yeah, Unify is pretty much impossible to describe concisely. There's something for everyone. I only stumbled onto it when I was looking for a faster way to route MIDI from a MIDI FX to an instrument back in 2020. Then I learned it does this...and it does that...and even this??? Holy Cow!

On 3/18/2023 at 12:31 PM, ralfrobert said:

Pluginguru Unify for $47.40

This one was only rarely on sale in the past. I don't know if it is an error and how long it will last. 

https://www.pluginguru.com/products/unify-standard/

Do they allow license transfers?
I tend to generally avoid products if they can't be, unless they are cheap or considered essential.

9 hours ago, Technostica said:

Do they allow license transfers?
I tend to generally avoid products if they can't be, unless they are cheap or considered essential.

As far as I know, you can request transfer, and they are doing it manually. 

• Like 1